Neverheadz thought on: lamb of god????

zmetallica said:
it is perfectly fair, since LoG, as well as most bands, were once a small little local band. a band's popularity means little in my mind. on the other hand the amount of time a band has been around is different.

Yes, but it is understood that a metal band in LoG's position would have assloads of experience, whereas a "shitty local death metal band" probably wouldn't.

Loner said:
Yes, but it is understood that a metal band in LoG's position would have assloads of experience, whereas a "shitty local death metal band" probably wouldn't.
as Lizard said, 8 years. therefore compare them to many other bands that have been around for 8 years. now some bands i know have problems that delay them, such as losing members, financial problems (can't pay for practice space that way), and loss of equipment (stolen/sold/etc). so it should be compared to a band who has been significantly active for 8 years. a band that has been around for 8 years and isn't signed to a good label usually either sucks, doesn't want to be signed to the deals they are offered, they aren't pushing their band enough promotion wise or they could be located in a spot that no one likes them.

also i hear that a major label has interest in a band after they sell 20k records through Nielson's Soundscan reports. problem is that it is hard to get on these reports without having some kind of distribution deal or paying more for CD production costs. also i hear if you get like 100k+ friends on myspace and have a lot of music plays that show that most of those 100k friends listen, major labels get interest.

lizard said:
btw, LoG has been around for eight years; hardly "trendy"

whether you like them or not, their success is due in large part to hard work and label support.

I'd never be able to agree with that, that's why we've terms like sell out.

I'd agree to calling "Ashes of the Wake" a sell out album, it didn't feel like their style, had big name guest appearances, etc.... all the conspirings of their new label pulling the strings. Add to that a sound more in line with other popular metal of the time and it just doesn't feel honest.

I started listening to them with "As the Palaces Burn", which as far as I know had no label support, at least I never saw any of it (granted, I have NO idea what the hit bands ever are, so it's basically a moot point). I heard them on the Dallas KNON metal show and was impressed enough to pick up the CD. Upon listening to "Sacrament", I get the impression from the music that they got to go back to doing what they want to do. It is more in line with their original style and attitude, only a progression thereof. Now how is this selling out?

lizard said:
btw, LoG has been around for eight years; hardly "trendy"

whether you like them or not, their success is due in large part to hard work and label support.

I never denied that. All I've been saying is that these guys aren't the metal virtuosos (particularly the drummer) they're being made out to be. I haven't heard the new album, but I don't think they've sold out to get where they're at.

zmetallica said:
as Lizard said, 8 years. therefore compare them to many other bands that have been around for 8 years. now some bands i know have problems that delay them, such as losing members, financial problems (can't pay for practice space that way), and loss of equipment (stolen/sold/etc). so it should be compared to a band who has been significantly active for 8 years. a band that has been around for 8 years and isn't signed to a good label usually either sucks, doesn't want to be signed to the deals they are offered, they aren't pushing their band enough promotion wise or they could be located in a spot that no one likes them.

also i hear that a major label has interest in a band after they sell 20k records through Nielson's Soundscan reports. problem is that it is hard to get on these reports without having some kind of distribution deal or paying more for CD production costs. also i hear if you get like 100k+ friends on myspace and have a lot of music plays that show that most of those 100k friends listen, major labels get interest.

I have no idea where that was going in relation to what I've been saying.

i'm saying that it doesn't matter if the band is local or major label, its still a band a band's experience as you say, should be judged by a band with the same amount.

let's say a band gets signed to sony instantly and they suck. would that make them better than any local band?

maybe i'm missing YOUR point, but my point is that popularity doesn't = skill

Walk with Me in Hell is fucking bad ass.

I can totally see a big ass pit for this song. Maybe i'll hop in it at Gigantour.

Chromatose said:
I'd agree to calling "Ashes of the Wake" a sell out album, it didn't feel like their style, had big name guest appearances, etc....

Chris Poland and Devin Townsend were guests on As the Palaces burn. DT also produced that one...

I wasn't aware Poland guested on there, I will have to reread the liner notes I suppose.

Though I am aware Devin produced it, but from my experience the overall sound of that album turned a lot of people off to it. That being said I think he did a fantastic job with the production. Also, I don't really see Devin as someone who's name has entered the mainstream until recently, and his production credits outside his own work aren't incredibly extensive. Though all that is turning around.

EDIT: I should also point out that while I may claim some degree of "selling out" with "Ashes..", certains things must be taken into consideration in regards to the big picture. Perhaps there were contractual obligations at work with that release that they had to maintain in order to continue on their path afterwards; it's always a possibility.

Wolftribe said:
the part where he screams really high and theres that delay effect omgz awesome
That's my favorite part of the song.

The whole album smokes.

i listened to the New American Gospel album last night. Blythe is a completely different vocalist now. and i love it. his vocals back then were sketchy. now he sounds bad ass.

SirDidymus127: i feel the same way, Blythe has really gotten a hell of a lot better, that was one thing i didn't like about the early stuff. his screaming was just not with it. now it seems like he's really growling from teh gut and doing a kick ass job at it too.