Nevermore - Dreaming Neon Black

Moonlapse said:
I totally agree that DNB has a better production sound than PoE. I haven't been into Nevermore's older material for long (only a few months) but DNB is quickly shaping up to be my favourite album of theirs musically, and also in a production sense.

Hey Moonie,

Just in case you didn't know, Neil did Nevermore's The Politics of Ecstasy and In Memory as well. DNB was the third time he worked with them unless he did the self-titled album as well.

Murat

Thanks for the rundown on the mastering process, Neil. I recall briefly skimming over the HDCD method in classes, but never thought about it much.

@batmura: Yeah, I was aware that he did all of those albums. Out of PoE and DNB, I preffer the sound Neil got on DNB more. The guitars don't sound as harsh to my ears and everything just sounds like it meshes a bit better and consequently has a bit more power. \m/

Moonlapse said:
Although I have to say I've noticed the ocassional digital clip or two on DNB. One pretty noticeable one is at the start of 'I am the Dog'. But I guess that's what happens when the mastering engineer isn't careful enough.

That's so funny, I never noticed that until you brought it up. I got that album way before I got into recording and always assumed it was supposed to sound that way. Cool.

Genius Gone Insane said:
That's so funny, I never noticed that until you brought it up. I got that album way before I got into recording and always assumed it was supposed to sound that way. Cool.

Well..with all due respect, it certainly wasn't intentional. There was a time back then that any album that had a lot of gain would clip older systems. The main issue for DNB was the fact that I mixed the bass nice and loud, and while it was fine on HDCD systems, it apparently gave a few older (particularly car) stereo systems fits and problems.

As I've always said, I do accept responsibilty for this anomaly. As per usual, I was just trying to make the album sound as full and powerful as possible, but this one came back and bit me in the arse. Ouch! As you can imagine, this is a considerable source of embarrassment.

For any inconvenience regarding DNB, I most certainly apologise. For those people who still experience issues, hopefully as time passes, along with the acquisition of newer stereo gear, you'll no longer hear these artifacts that are experienced by older stereo equipment due to their lower headroom capability.

^ Ooh, don't go there man... haha.

@NK: Certainly appreciated that you take responsibility for it.. but I mean really, it was an unforseeable circumstance, and its hardly a huge issue. We were still given a great album with great production, regardless if it clipped our systems. So thanks!

It was a technical things that almost no-one outside music production would ever notice. The job done on DNB was phenomenal, entirely. It was a wonderful mix.

Neil, were Van's kicks miced or triggered? If micked, how did you get that incredible tone and punch? Plus the wetmess of the drums is EXCELLENT!!! I love DNB!!

Tym Walker
Daemonicide

The guitars have a totally awesome "speaker excursion" quality to them on that album that I have striven for ever since I heard it. Hands down, this is the best Nevermore disc all around, and I've been a fan since Sanctuary. This album sounds so good loud, as opposed to the recent ones that sound worse as you turn them up.

ahlan Neil! (that's hello in arabic), Dreaming Neon Black is one of my favorite Nevermore albums. I remember hearing Christine Rhoades, the female vocalist in the title track, was in another band before, do you remember which band that was? I hope all is well with you. - Aziza
ritz2band7.jpg

I remember seeing her band play live when I lived in Seattle. I'll have to think more about the band name though - it escapes me at the moment. I think I only saw them once or twice. They were very good - sort of goth/industrial.