8. Noumenon
9. Seed Awakening

Label: Century Media Records
Release date: 2003
Artist site:
http://www.nevermore.tv/

GRADE:
7.5/10

There's a lot of controversy surrounding this release, so it is with great care that I undertake this review. Being a huge fan of the band myself, I can say I had high expectations and that not all of them were met. However, I am also aware that part of this is due to politics that are unfortunate but prevalent in the music industry. That being said, the material presented on Enemies Of Reality is actually quite good. The band, once again a four piece, has collectively turned in an inspiring performance, overcoming odds with results that are mixed at best.

The title track ushers in a dark, bitter, brooding NEVERMORE, the arrangements perfect, right down to the very first solo after the first verse. A standout chorus, particularily on this release, vocalist Warrel Dane nails the song to the wall. Jeff Loomis is in top form on this one as well, probably one of his heaviest since Politics... "Ambivalent" follows, tons of double bass, mathematical guitar riffs, and a manic Dane delivering another wicked vocal performance. I can't wait to see this one live, as the production tends to detract from the band's efforts. The guitars need that extra little punch, otherwise this another great thrash track. I like the way "Never Purify" just kicks in directly at the end of the previous song. However, it ends up not being one of my more preferred cuts.

That honor goes to "Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday," a slower number and by far the most melodic moment on Enemies Of Reality. Incredible lyrics, awesome hooks and beautiful guitar leads create what is easily the album's highlight for me. What a fucking chorus!! I love the way the guitars match perfectly with Dane's voice. And the vocal harmony overdubs couldn't have been done better either. (Crowd begins chanting "Fanboy, Fanboy, Fanboy, Fanboy!!!!)

The foundation that bassist Jim Sheppard and drummer Van Williams lay down is an unstoppable, well oiled machine, as evidenced by "I, Voyager," another thrashy song that has one of those "pit crazy" riffs during the verses and a nice double bass pounding chorus. Again, though, the production affects this song negatively, as some of the power just seems to be lacking. "Create the Infinite" has a cool groove to it, very catchy, yet brutal. There's also a trippy little midsection too, adding a bit of dynamics.

The heavy intro to "Who Decides" is marred by muddy production, before the song shifts into an acoustic verse, in typical haunting NEVERMORE style. Unfortunately, it comes off sounding like something I've heard before in their catalog and doesn't really stand out. They really venture "out there" on "Noumenon," perhaps best heard on headphones. The final song, "Seed Awakening," pounds and pummels its way into your brain and features another fine chorus. Great way to end the album, but it feels like there was a bit of meat missing on the bones this time around.

Overall, I like Enemies Of Reality, but I hope their next release sees them return to a top notch producer and perhaps create something a bit longer and more complete than the 40 minutes we got this time around.

PJ