Nevermore riffs through a 6505+ and Mesa cabinet

Dylan S

Celephai
Feb 27, 2009
Australia
Hi guys,

I have someone who may be interested in buying my cabinet and he owns a peavey as well, so I put this together (VERY) quickly to show him what the tone is like. The playing isn't very good at all I'm afraid...I only had a small window of opportunity to do this while my family left the house, so I got it done as quick as possible.

This is only the second time I have miced up this head through this cab and I think it turned out ok. This is my Stiletto cab by the way...I don't own a Rectifier/Oversized cabinet.

What do you think? Have potential? (please ignore the drums as I just used them for context and I know the tone doesn't fit)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1044020/acid 6505+.mp3

A loungeroom. :lol:

Not optimum, but the best in the house I'm in at the moment for doing this sort of thing. All the other rooms have glass walls/doors or hard floors.

Interesting how our perception of the "typical Mesa tone" is shaped so much by the cabinet too, something sometimes forgotten about.
Even though it was the Stiletto cab and not the usual Recto cab, it definitely adds a Boogie flavor to the proceedings.
Definitely a bit phasey as Morgan said though.

I'll try record some more stuff again in the next few days if my family goes out again, and play it a lot tighter. I can hear some slight phasey sounds but I really do think it is made to sound worse because of the sloppy playing.

There's a certain part of the tone that I dig dude, it has potential, but it's also quite metallic, as has been mentioned, as well as a bit nasally - tighter playing naturally would help, but amp settings as well could at least partly be to blame. Also, the guitars are a bit loud compared to the drums IMO, which only serves to highlight the nasalliness, but yeah, it definitely has potential, but maybe drop the presence and/or highs a touch for the next clip and see how that works!

There definitely is something strange going on in the high mids. The tone does have something pleasingly organic going on about it though. I would give it another shot.