Nevermore show review

Poison God

I am the Dog
Oct 24, 2001
New Jersey
I just joined this board, so I apologize that this review wasn't timely. Caught Nevermore in Old Bridge, NJ at the Birch Hill 9/22.
Here was the setlist as I remember it:

Engines of Hate
This Sacrament
The River Dragon Has Come
Narcosynthesis
The Heart Collector
Inside Four Walls
Next In Line
Dead Heart in a Dead World
Sound of Silence

The night started with a band (I think called Atheria?) playing (or should I say trying to play) Dream Theater-type stuff. The guitarist was ok, but the singer looked totally out of place. First of all, the guy had a receding hairline (just shave it bald!) and a polo shirt. Secondly, he looked like George Castanza. They played 6 fucking songs.......I wanted to puke.

The next band (to my dismay, as it was not Nevermore) was Circle of 9. A guy who resembles Chuck Billy comes out with an American flag doo rag and starts screaming like Halford...that was when I knew I was in trouble. This band also tried to emulate Dream Theater and Maiden, but it just didn't work out. Thankfully, they were done after 4 songs.

Finally, Nevermore!!! Some odd version of Rape Me came on to lead into a Politics of Ecstasy intro. Then Engines of Hate just rolled in. This is the tightest I had ever seen any band (including Grip Inc.). Warrel's singing is unbelievable live; better than on the albums even! The guitar dueling and soloing on River Dragon was unmatched (Loomis is truly a master) and to end the show on Sound of Silence was truly a thrashy culmination.

Some interesting things I saw (as I know we all see some oddities at shows):

1. Two guys walk by wearing quiet riot and winger shirts from at least a decade ago. One has a METAL CHURCH headband on!!! I almost pissed myself at this illustration of pure lameness.

2. Guy is IN THE MOSH PIT; Red glitter jacket, Savatage baby t shirt, shiny spandex pants and .... (drum roll) ... a BULLET BELT!!! HA HA HA!! Almost as lame as the Metal Church headband.

3. During Next in Line, someone in the crowd gets Warrel's attention and hands him his cell phone. Warrel talks to the person on the line for like 30 seconds (off mic). Then he holds it out into the crowd and says: "Say hello and scream for SASHI!!!" It was extremely spontaneous and amusing to say the least.

Basically, Nevermore kicked ass live as I had suspected. The vocals were punishing, the guitars brutal, the drums thundering, and the bass destroying. L8r, DavE

i enjoyed reading the review........but what the hell does this mean:

"Some odd version of Rape Me came on to lead into a Politics of Ecstasy intro"

does that mean they started playing that nirvana song,
leading into the opening riff of POE? im sorry dude, ya lost me there. and couldnt they have played ONE song from dreamin neon black.....poison godmachine or fault of the flesh????????

DNB was/is my favorite album, i hope if i ever catch them live, that they do play something off of DNB...course they did play Sound of Silence and The River Dragon Has Come....my top 2 favorite songs...

and damn PG...you are brutal....did those bands suck that bad?

Originally posted by metallica sucks cock
i enjoyed reading the review........but what the hell does this mean:

"Some odd version of Rape Me came on to lead into a Politics of Ecstasy intro"

does that mean they started playing that nirvana song,
leading into the opening riff of POE? im sorry dude, ya lost me there. and couldnt they have played ONE song from dreamin neon black.....poison godmachine or fault of the flesh????????

A recording of a screwed up version of Rape Me played before they took the stage (while the lights were off). Same lyrics, but with an odd background...like bells and whistles...not a guitar. L8r, DavE

Rape Me was played over the speakers each night before the band went on, not the Nirvana version, it was a comical lounge act version of the song by a group called Lounge Against the Machine. It was just a little goof before Nevermore ripped into their set.

i wonder if anyone has a tape of this band with george constanza lookalike singing....LMAO....i need to see this!

Engines of Hate just rolled in. This is the tightest I had ever seen any band (including Grip Inc.). Warrel's singing is unbelievable live; better than on the albums even! The guitar dueling and soloing on River Dragon was unmatched (Loomis is truly a master)

i saw nevermore in wacke and i can totally agree to these points! their performance was unbvelievable. and they even played white rabbit and beyond within (juhu a DNB song)....i never saw a better live-show anywere...i guess only devin townsend could beat this (i'll see him in november - he only wants to play physicist and strapping young lad songs :D)! we'll see....nevermore are elite!

Damn. Reading stuff like this makes me desperately wanting to see Nevermore live.
BUT.... Well, I'm pretty positive since we are actually getting good bands to play in Finland nowadays. Iced "fucking" Earrrth! -no more to say! Hopely Nevermore some day too. :)