NEVERMORE Singer: Found Out Via BLABBERMOUTH.NET That Guitarist And Drummer Quit

I happen to agree with John, I don't think the comparisons between Plant/Page are not valid in this case because WD is much more THE band (which the addition of the fine chap that is Jim) than was ever the case with Plant.

I never liked Jeff Loomis' solos. His songwriting was great and he wrote great riffs, but his solos were all flash, speed, and sweeping. Towards the later albums there was virtually zero melody in them. They were much better with DHIADW and before.

I never thought Van was special in any sense. I just thought he was a solid drummer. I can call up at least three friends right now and they'd all be better than Van. He just never seemed to use any imagination whatsoever with drums. It was like, "Ok, this part's fast so I'm gonna just double kick endlessly with a polka on top of it". I think if NM got a really good drummer, and by really good I don't mean just fast, I think they could really change their sound for the better. I'm glad all this happened because NM was getting really stale...hopefully there will be new blood soon and will turn things around.

It certainly isn't safe to say that NM will be fine without Jeff. I guarantee that they lost a big portion of their fan base with his departure. Lots of fans will certainly check out any new NM material to give it a shot but the passion won't be there.

It was good to see WD say he wants a blend of songwriting and playing in the new guitarist, though. NM does need creativity ala DNB.

WD's vocals are a very minor factor trying to explain why the band wasn't bigger. Poor touring schedules had more to do with it. At least in the USA. Remember they were pretty big in certain parts of the UK and Europe.

Jeff's solos are badass

Van never came across as an asshole, either. At least not the multiple times I spoke with him before and after shows over the years. He was always super cool. I could tell he and WD didn't get along, though.

I never thought Van was special in any sense. I just thought he was a solid drummer. I can call up at least three friends right now and they'd all be better than Van. He just never seemed to use any imagination whatsoever with drums. It was like, "Ok, this part's fast so I'm gonna just double kick endlessly with a polka on top of it". I think if NM got a really good drummer, and by really good I don't mean just fast, I think they could really change their sound for the better. I'm glad all this happened because NM was getting really stale...hopefully there will be new blood soon and will turn things around.

Dude, Van was much more than 'just 'fast. He wasn't even what I'd categorize as a 'speed' drummer.

Listen to his drumming in 'We Disintegrate' during the chorus. It's awesome and creative. Poison God Machine, The Death of Passion, the entirety of TGE and POE all have great drumming.

I was quite surprised when i read the article and i think it's not that hard to find a new drummer (although i consider Van a really good one) but replacing Jeff won't be possible.
I could imagine Warrel will find someone very talented- but Jeff is unique and nobody could just simply copy his playing. On that note: Loomis-solos always have been the icing on the cake, just as distinctive as some of his riffs- im my opinion he was equally important to Nevermore's sound as the vocals. Just look at Warrel's solo record: it's a departure from the familiar sound which is clearly audible in each song.

I was quite surprised when i read the article and i think it's not that hard to find a new drummer (although i consider Van a really good one) but replacing Jeff won't be possible.
I could imagine Warrel will find someone very talented- but Jeff is unique and nobody could just simply copy his playing. On that note: Loomis-solos always have been the icing on the cake, just as distinctive as some of his riffs- im my opinion he was equally important to Nevermore's sound as the vocals. Just look at Warrel's solo record: it's a departure from the familiar sound which is clearly audible in each song.

Don't be silly. Warrel intended for his solo project to be far different from Nevermores sound.

Put your cd cases away and stay away from google. Listen to the entire catalog and list every song Jeff wrote.

I doubt you'll be able to pick out Calvert, Smyth and O'briens songs or solos.

There are plenty of guitarists who can duplicate the bands sound. The question is will it fit with Warrel?

Oh and a good drummer that could make everyone forget about Van? Peter Wildoer from Darkane would fit amazingly well.

Ahh, you're cool too, Uneasy, it's all in good fun.

About the passion thing, personal preference aside, that's exactly why I think the band will be fine without Jeff. It was becoming clear that his heart wasn't in it anymore, and it was showing.

Even if it's Attila (who I don't like), a new guitarist who is excited to be in the band and and create music would be just the revitalization it needs.

As far as losing Jeff, the soul and overall theme of this band isn't a certain playing style, rather Warrel's quirky singing and the lyrical content. (anti government, anti religion, etc). I don't see that changing just because Jeff is gone.

imo

In a live performance sense, Atilla would be hard to beat. He seems to pick up on the slightest little things, and can replicate jeff's sound pretty well. He shows some promise in composition, but I think that a better guitarist is out there in that regard.

:Spin:Asgeir Mickelson:Spin:
This. Though that isn't to say Van didn't get the job done.

I never liked Jeff Loomis' solos. His songwriting was great and he wrote great riffs, but his solos were all flash, speed, and sweeping. Towards the later albums there was virtually zero melody in them. They were much better with DHIADW and before.
Especially this. Except it began with River Dragon I think.

Glad some people agree with me about Asgeir. His fills are to die for. Van never did interesting things with his tom toms. He's also a great lyricist, better than Warrel, if you ask me.

He's currently only in one shitty black metal band, one shitty death metal band, Scariot, and ICS Vortex.

Which means he has more than enough time to make a new Spiral Architect, and join Nevermore.

Notice you said "virtually", not simply "zero".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6zjq77lBHE&feature=player_detailpage#t=146s

I think that's one of the best solos he's done since Dreaming.

Don't like it. It's good, but I don't like it. It says nothing to me except, "Look at me!!! I can play scales really fast!!!"...just like everything else he's done in the past 8 years.

The last solo he did that I enjoyed was Tomorrow Turned Into Yesterday and a few others from that album.

TGE was a great album, but most of the solos turned me off. Just because you can play fast doesn't mean I enjoy what you're playing; maybe it's the mode you're using, maybe it's your personal touch or whatever, but I dislike Loomis' solos and that's not gonna change until he writes something beautiful. Fast is not beautiful. Fast is just fast.

Jesus fucking Christ, even Believe in Nothing's solo is better than just about everything he's done since then because it's done tastefully; it's not overkill. It's super duper simple but I guess he doesn't realize that solos like that sound a billion times better than his annoying-ass shredding. He needs a lot more David Gilmour and a lot less Yngwie Malmsteen.