Nevermore-Tilburg 09-30-2003 Review

Ekib

New Metal Member
Sep 24, 2001
About 1000 metalheads showed up for this bill last tuesday.
I am not too familiar with Arch Enemy.I have heard their records but they never did much for me.I can hear the quality though.The crowdreaction on Arch Enemy was quite good though.What I like about the band is that they had a classic metalsound.No NU Rectifiers but old fashioned Marshalls to give it a pure thrashbite.
I only came down for one band though...Nevermore.
The sound wasn't that good.The guitars sounded extremely muddy.Maybe because they were playing Rectifiers.I am not crazy about this amp.It is never clear like a Marshall used to be.
Nevermore is my favourite band from the 90's.They continued where Forbidden left off.But nowadays NM is getting away more and more away from that sound.The last 2 albums showed a push into different territories.With the addition of 7 string guitars NM has incorporated NU influences into their sound.Listen to some of the rhythms of DHIADW and it's definitely Nu influenced.I am not saying NM is NU.But if there hadn't been a thing like NU metal NM would have sounded different I'd say.And I am having mixed feelings about NM's last album aswell.It is by far the weakest effort they released.It is not bad at all but if you compare to the high standard of the 90's albums the last album is a bit of a mess.
Unfortunate NM only played a handfull tracks of the older albums.That means nothing of the first album and "Dreaming Neon",only 1 of "In Memory" and 2 of "The politics".I never get the point why bands ignore their best albums and NM is no different.Secondly this was a headlining show and they quit after exactly 60 minutes.I couldn't believe it.A band with a backcatalogue like NM should at least play 2 hours to cover all their classic material.
Steve Smythe did a good job.The guy is phenomenal,playing with 2 bands and learning a different set in such a short time.He was allowed to play some of the leads also.Killer player!But the real star of the evening was offcourse Jeff Loomis.He is the reason I will always go see NM.No matter how NU they would ever go he always includes the most incredible leads into every song.He is in my top 10.It's like seeing 70's players like Roth and Rhoads compared with 80's greatest like Friedman and Becker combined in one guitarplayer.His solo's are very well worked out and always an addition to the songs.
Warrel Dane wasn't that great sounding.Maybe he had a cold or something(last time I saw him he had a bad cold)but they skipped 2 songs since the Hardenberg gig,3 days earlier.
All in all the gig wasn't very inspired anyway.At many points people were yelling for Sanctuary songs or even "Over the wall".But they weren't paying any attention to that at all.It was almost like every word Warrel was saying between the songs was learned in advance.A little bit of change wouldn't hurt.
The setlist for who's interested:
Inside 4 walls
Never purify
Lost(!!)
In Memory(!!!!)
Narcosynthesis
DHIADW(Intro only)
Heart collector
Ambivalent
Enemies of reality
The river dragon
Seven tongues
Tomorrow turned into yesterday
Who decides
Engines of hate
Sound of Silence

They skipped 2 songs and didn't play "Sea of possibilities".

I have to make a correction,one of the guitarplayers from Arch Enemy was using a Peavey,the other was using a Marshall.Still it was a much better guitarsound than Nevermore had,unfortunate.

Posion God;I didn't say Nevermore is totally NU.However they surely did incorporate some nu elements in their sound.Esp.their 7 string use and their guitarsound is very nu'ish.

The big Yetti;the bands you mentioned are exceptions.Most of the use of 7 strings is in the nu segment.You can't deny that Nevermore changed their sound with DHIADW.I am not saying it is NU metal but it definitely has elements.Take the opening riff of "Narcosynthesis" or a lot of the rhythms on the new album.Somehow it reminds me more of NU than thrash.