New album compared to the demo songs

corvin

New Metal Member
Nov 1, 2007
Hey guys, does anyone know why the songs on the album are mixed completely differently than on the demo tracks?
People are commenting everywhere (myspace, youtube page) saying they like the album, although they're asking themselves where the power/brutality has gone.
I agree about that. The songs sound softer and I really miss that punch and pressure of the demos. You have no idea how often I listened to 'Perfect Seed' (which is now called 'The Hurricane Season') on the old website's mp3 player.
I also liked that electro/industrial touch that I think made engel sound different and special. Remember the synth in Perfect Seed?

In my opinion, these are roughly the main differences:
- Drums sound more natural and softer (where's the exploding snare sound?)
- Vocals are less present and less compressed
- Almost all electronic elements have been left out
- Bass is less present
- Hurricane Season is probably a few bpm slower than the Perfect Seed demo?
- Special effects like the rhythm guitars pitch-bending into the last refrain of Casket Closing at about 2m40s are gone, damn!!

While this may sound like I'm picking on details, these are often the things that make people go "wow" and make a song less repetitive. You don't have to be a sound engineer to notice all these things.

I'm happy that the band could achieve their goal and release an album, but changing everything resulted in a real disappointment for me and probably for others, too. I liked that mix, dammit! I was expecting something similar. I don't know any band that sounds like this and even if there is I don't really care because I was REALLY looking forward to hearing how the rest of the songs would sound like.

I read somewhere that the demo songs were mixed by the phenomenal Tue Madsen. The album instead has been mixed by Daniel Bergstrand and Anders Fridén.
In fact, the punch of the demos reminded me of Mnemic's Mechanical Spin Phenomena album's in-your-face sound.

I mean, if the album now sounds this way, it must be Engel's decision. But I really don't understand why? Sure, it must be quite annoying for the band reading all the complaints on the internet. I'm sorry, but that's the reality at the moment. The fancy CD package doesn't compensate enough for me.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Corvin

Edit 1:
I created this thread one month ago and only one has replied so far. I guess it's actually not a really interesting topic and it doesn't matter anymore. While reading my post again I feel it may sound a bit too negative.
I must add that as a guitar player I'm a fan of Niclas Engelin and besides the many changes I do like the album and I think they did a great job.

Yeah. I was curious about that myself. I added it up to unmastered pre-release material but I guess we will see when it's released officially

I´ve had 8 demo songs and was listening to them basically every day for more than 1 year. When the album has been released I really felt somehow disappointed because of all the changes in the music, lyrics and sound.
If I don´t remember it all wrong the final mixing of the demo songs has been done in the Antfarm Studios. Well, that sound was the right thing for the songs.

Niclas knows that I am an old fan of him and Gardenian. I also like Engel of course, but the album mixing and all the changes are making it (still) difficult for me to listen to the album version and not to the demo songs. It´s sad to say that. But it´s the truth.