New album Foregone out February 2023

To me this seems to be a case of whether or not you like Anders' recent clean vocals rather than this performance being particularly bad.

It's awful. If you mean that he's always awful then I disagree. A lot of times, studio engineering has made him look better than he really is. This one, is at level with his live performances. And that means really bad.

Reactions: DE4life
Have to say I am surprised Slave restrained himself from saying anything when we were complimenting SOAPF :D usually that's like a red rag to a bull.

Reactions: eochaid
According to the ranking engine, my top 30 IF songs are:

01. The Jester Race
02. Satellites & Astronauts
03. Suburban Me
04. Jotun
05. Zombie Inc.
06. Dead Eternity
07. Moonshield
08. Food for the Gods
09. Jester Script Transfigured
10. Ordinary Story
11. Bullet Ride
12. Colony
13. Pinball Map
14. Artifacts of the Black Rain
15. Coerced Coexistence
16. Square Nothing
17. Gyroscope
18. Graveland
19. Scorn
20. Worlds Within the Margin
21. Episode 666
22. Behind Space
23. Clayman
24. Swim
25. The Jester's Dance
26. Superhero of the Computer Rage
27. Lord Hypnos
28. Dead Alone
29. Come Clarity
30. Borders and Shading

Couple of surprises in there I guess.

Notes:

Highest ranked Battles track is Wallflower at 45
Highest ranked Siren Charms track is Everything's Gone at 84
Lowest ranked 'classic' is Resin at 109
Lowest ranked track period is Bottled, where it belongs. It's down there in the trash with The Chosen Pessimist and House, where those too belong.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid

01. The Jester Race
02. Satellites & Astronauts
03. Suburban Me
04. Jotun
05. Zombie Inc.
06. Dead Eternity
07. Moonshield
08. Food for the Gods
09. Jester Script Transfigured
10. Ordinary Story
11. Bullet Ride
12. Colony
13. Pinball Map
14. Artifacts of the Black Rain
15. Coerced Coexistence
16. Square Nothing
17. Gyroscope
18. Graveland
19. Scorn
20. Worlds Within the Margin
21. Episode 666
22. Behind Space
23. Clayman
24. Swim
25. The Jester's Dance
26. Superhero of the Computer Rage
27. Lord Hypnos
28. Dead Alone
29. Come Clarity
30. Borders and Shading

Couple of surprises in there I guess.

Notes:

Highest ranked Battles track is Wallflower at 45
Highest ranked Siren Charms track is Everything's Gone at 84
Lowest ranked 'classic' is Resin at 109
Lowest ranked track period is Bottled, where it belongs. It's down there in the trash with The Chosen Pessimist and House, where those too belong.

"Superhero of the Computer Rage", "Borders and Shading", "Satellites & Astronauts" at a top 30 list? Sorry but this list is only for the weak..

I'll do the ranking myself since I usually listen to, almost, the whole discography. So, the first five wll e in order. The rest of them will follow no specific order.

1. OFTW
2. CTK.
3. System.
4. Embody the Invisible.
5. Borders And Shading.

From now, I'll just list them by album.

6. Stand Ablaze.
7. Moonshield.
8. Jotun.
9. Gyroscope.
10. Episode 666.
11. Colony.
12. Zombie Inc.
13. Clayman.
14. Satellites.
15. Suburban Me.
16. Trigger.
17. Minus.
18. Dismiss the Cynics.
19. Metaphor.
20. The Quite Place.
21. Touch of Red.
22. My Sweet Shadow.
23. Reflect the Storm.
24. Pacing Death's Trail.
25. Our Infinite Struggle.
26. Vanishing Light.
27. WTDSD:
28. Ropes.
29. A New Dawn.
30. Stay With Me.

Though, the second part changes a lot. So these are my top right now. But I like to listen to songs from, almost, all of their albums.

"Superhero of the Computer Rage", "Borders and Shading", "Satellites & Astronauts" at a top 30 list? Sorry but this list is only for the weak..

Did you seriously just question Satellites being on a top IF songs list?

Superhero and Borders and Shading I get. I love those songs but I can see why people wouldn't. But S&A? Get the fuck out of here. :rofl:

Though, the second part changes a lot. So these are my top right now. But I like to listen to songs from, almost, all of their albums.

Yeah, my list could change at any time to be honest. There are staples in there that won't, like TJR being number 1. It's been my favorite IF song forever. The ranking engine pits two songs against each other and you pick one. I did that over 600 times apparently. I went with songs that sounded better to me than the other at this point in time, so it could definitely change.

Did you seriously just question Satellites being on a top IF songs list?

Superhero and Borders and Shading I get. I love those songs but I can see why people wouldn't. But S&A? Get the fuck out of here. :rofl:

Ciko ironically acting like an old school In Flames elitist :D I can remember back in the early 2000s, whenever I said S&A was one of my favourites I was called a poser/fanboy. Easy to forget that Clayman was considered a sellout album at one point.

Might be impossible for me to rank an overall top 5, even top 30 would be difficult. Probably I'd have to split it between 1994 - 2002 and 2004 - 2023 years.

There are a few songs that are constantly among my favourites. The kind of song that blew up my mind the first time that I listen to them. Crawl Through Knives, OFTW or Conditional are good examples of that.

OFTW would for sure always be in my top 5. Zombie Inc as well. Outside of those two I would have to think quite hard.

As an aside, Evil in a Closet instrumental is really beautiful. It might be one of the best compositions Jesper/Bjorn did, which is funny considering it comes from STYE.

After ranting how Anders' cleans are shit, how you guys like "old IF" and new IF being shit, its really ironic you took the "pop" IF song on the top of your list. At least have some continuity with your posts, c'mon. You guys wrote 5 pages bullshit to guy who said "music theory" then come up with this?

At least I'm not bashing the band for years cause they changed their song and listen their "poppiest" song secretly. :D :D I'm trying to convince myself that you don't hate the band but you hate the "change" their doing but I'm pretty sure if we've had OFTW released by now you would be posting the same things and call Clayman "oh this album is the worst" like people did back in the day. @SunOfMyth was right..

Don't see your arse, Ciko :D you're right that if OFTW was released now we'd call it shit - because it would sound like the Clayman 2020 rerecordings, lmao. Any person with a working brain and ears would refer to that as garbage.

Calling OFTW pop is just hilarious. But, fact, OFTW re recorded is garbage.

Then tell me how that has anything to do with Anders' cleans being awful. Even if the song was to be the epitome of death metal, Anders would still suck.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Grayfox
Gone a slightly different route with my rankings, going through the albums and selecting tracks that, if they came onto my random playlist, I would listen to almost 100% of the time. Any song that I would potentially skip isn't included. Doesn't mean those songs aren't good or even great, just that I'm not compelled to listen to them every time they come on.

Lunar Strain - 1 (Upon an Oaken Throne)
Subterranean - 1 (Stand Ablaze)
The Jester Race - 6 (Moonshield, Artifacts, Lord Hypnos, Dead Eternity, The Jester Race, December Flower)
Whoracle - 5 (Jotun, Food for the Gods, Gyroscope, Jester Script Transfigured, Episode 666)
Colony - 5 (Embody the Invisible, Ordinary Story, Colony, Zombie Inc, Insipid 2000)
Clayman - 6 (Only for the Weak, As the Future Repeats Today, Square Nothing, Satellites and Astronauts, Swim, Suburban Me)
Reroute to Remain - 6 (Reroute to Remain, System, Cloud Connected, Minus, Dark Signs, Black & White)
Soundtrack to Your Escape - 4 (The Quiet Place, Touch of Red, Like You Better Dead, Evil in a Closet)
Come Clarity - 4 (Dead End, Vacuum, Crawl Through Knives, Vanishing Light)
A Sense of Purpose/Mirror's Truth EP - 3 (Condemned, Eraser, Abnegation)
Sounds of a Playground Fading - 6 (Sounds of a Playground Fading, The Puzzle, Fear is the Weakness, Where the Dead Ships Dwell, Ropes, Liberation)
Siren Charms - 1 (With Eyes Wide Open)
Battles - 0
I, the Mask - 3 (I, the Mask, Deep Inside, Stay With Me)

Unsurprisingly, the only album to register a 0 was Battles. Closest to being in the list would be The End or Wallflower, but both still rank somewhere in the 7 to 7.5 out of 10 range for me, so not unskippable. Siren Charms comes close, but I really like WEWO. Very classic IF style ballad which just sneaks in there. For the record I didn't include covers, but if I did then Clayman would be at an 8 as I would include Strong & Smart and World of Promises.

Generally speaking the pattern reflects how I've been feeling about IF throughout the years. Starting off strong with many songs I love, then declining slightly around the mid-period, a brief spike at SOAPF and then total descent into the depths. I might have been a bit generous with ITM, but I do really like all three of those tracks. Honestly I think Foregone might be another zero though. Not in that the songs are bad, but I haven't had the inclination to re-listen to any of the newly released singles so far... so that doesn't bode well.

Last edited:
I went to the store today and while I was out I drove around for a while and said “fuck it, let’s listen to a few of the new singles…” My opinions haven’t changed much. I do like the solo in Foregone pt 1 though. That’s probably the high point of all five songs for me.

Reactions: eochaid and DE4life