New album Foregone out February 2023

Just realised I could poentially take the EP version of Abnegation, remove the vocals and then replace them with the vocals from the demo version... there's a thought.

Reactions: eochaid
That's true, although I do wonder what it was that made the band (and their producers) decide to go down such a drastically different path.

I'm still mad about it to this day. In flames did a web video q&a around the time ITM came out and I asked if they would ever work with Laghi again and Bjorn's response was basically a diplomatic "never say never"

Anders & Bjorn seem to be deeply infected with the Benson virus tbh. It's a shame but for what it's worth the production/mixing on Foregone seems to be better than past attempts, with the main negative being the over-processed cleans.

The production on the whole for foregone is brilliant, the mixing on the cleans is the one thing that irritates me. Oh that and the overly bland and dry clean guitar tone in foregone pt2

Just realised I could poentially take the EP version of Abnegation, remove the vocals and then replace them with the vocals from the demo version... there's a thought.

Following on from this idea, here's something I mashed together fairly quickly - the instrumental is from the album version of Abnegation, whilst the vocals are from the original Abnegation demo that came out around 2007.

Reactions: eochaid and Vermyn
Following on from this idea, here's something I mashed together fairly quickly - the instrumental is from the album version of Abnegation, whilst the vocals are from the original Abnegation demo that came out around 2007.

Fucking bravo!

That's true, although I do wonder what it was that made the band (and their producers) decide to go down such a drastically different path.

I still think that it was the environment. Being in a place where the most prominent rock bands created their works. Why do I think this? Some songs have that classic rock vibe. Rusted Nails for example.

Reactions: DE4life

The original is so good. This one if those times when bands seen to change things just because they cannot sound as they do in the demos.

In the interest of balance, here's the demo version of Abnegation instrumental and the album version of Abnegation vocals... uploading two versions, one has higher volume on vocals than the other. I couldn't decide which sounded better, so figured why not just upload both?

Vocals higher in the mix:

Vocals lower in the mix:

This one was a lot more awkward to do. Timing wise the vocals generally were fine, but for some reason the album version's vocal volume is fairly inconsistent. I assume it works for the album mix, but not for the demo mix, so I had to amp up a few of the vocal lines so that you could actually hear them.

I actually think this one sounds fine too.

Now the big question... do I dare attempt a remix of the original Clayman tracks versus the remakes? :D

Now the big question... do I dare attempt a remix of the original Clayman tracks versus the remakes? :D
I am very very skeptical that any combination using the new material could be improved. The best combination is probably going to be original music, original vocals, original mix. But, give it a shot for grins!

Man, I really hate the demo version of this song. Chorus improved way better on the studio version, good for the guys for doing it.

I really like the new versions vocals, would be pretty good tbh. I don't know why you guys hate it so much actually, new vocals and sound overall are really good, we even have some improvements (OFTW guitar addition).

Reactions: ThePhobiac
I'm still mad about it to this day. In flames did a web video q&a around the time ITM came out and I asked if they would ever work with Laghi again and Bjorn's response was basically a diplomatic "never say never"

I'm a bit so-so on Laghi. I liked how the guitars and bass on ASOP, SOAPF, and SC had more clarity and you could really hear every note when they weren't being drowned out by the drums. The guitar sound of SC in particular is really satisfying to me.

On the other hand, I can't stand the drums on those albums. They sound different on all three, but none of them sound good to me (ASOP feels like carboard boxes, SOAPF is both overpowering and blunt, and SC is too tin can-like and too high in the mix). On some songs you can barely hear what the guitars are doing because the drums are so loud. And he isolates the vocals a bit too much.

I really like the new versions vocals, would be pretty good tbh. I don't know why you guys hate it so much actually, new vocals and sound overall are really good, we even have some improvements (OFTW guitar addition).

To put it simple. You prefer modern metal. Some of us prefer melodeath. You find the production amazing. Some of us find it flat. You think that the songs needed improvement. Some of us think that it was yet perfect. I don't think that there's a universal answer for this kind of questions. What for you is amazing, for some of us is shit. And the opposite is also true.

M8, I just suffered through the new version's vocals and they are HORRIBLE. I'm sorry, but you must be fucking deaf or drunk if you think they are good in any way. The OFTW vocals are garbage beyond belief. I actually can't believe how bad they are. I thought maybe I'd been too harsh before, but wow... there are no words to describe how horrific these are. But I'll upload the vocal stem just to prove you and Phobiac wrong on this one. If you still say they are good after hearing it then all hope is lost for you both.

Simply put, there's too much difference between the old and new tracks in terms of the instrument timings for me to put the old vocals onto the new track. In theory it'd be possible with a lot of work, but it's really not worth it. Here's the original track with the new vocals, lmao. It's awful. Thank god we didn't have the modern version of Anders in 2000. Also including the new track vocal stem to prove how fucking abominable they are. And this isn't a case of "everyone has an opinion". If you think these vocals are in any way good you are simply wrong. Shove your music theory up your arse whilst you're at it.

Also the version of Abnegation on the EP is horribly compressed. Demo version needs some cleaning up but it has a much fuller sound. ASOP production turning everything to shit as usual. Anders new vocals don't even sound that bad when they're being used in the demo version of the song.