New album Foregone out February 2023

I listened to Construct in full a while back to see if I'd been giving it too hard of a time, but I still didn't like it for the most part. I went through it song by song but from memory the ultimate takeaway was not enough melody or creativity. I get the vibe they were going for but it wasn't for me. I do really like Endtime Hearts though - that's a great little track.

I’d say give Uniformity and What Only You Know another chance out of any of them if there’s a chance your mind could change on them. I don’t need to give Uniformity a huge pitch— Especially with the ending portion and drum solo— and What Only You Know feels like Iridium if it had a standard song structure/was more mid-tempo. That might take points off of it for you, but I fucking love Iridium, so making that connection only made me love it more.

I saw a comment that said that Endtime Hearts’ intro felt like a melodeath game show theme, and I haven’t been able to get that out of my head. It’s such a fun-sounding song, and I kinda wish they went in on that even more than they did. It also reminds me a ton of Self-Deception by Lacuna Coil, which is my favorite track off of Comalies back when they were actual gothic metal.

WATV is by far the DT album I enjoy the least. I can remember someone on the DT UM forum creating a "technical guide" for the album - which is probably still on that forum - and I remember thinking if I need a fucking technical guide to appreciate the album then it definitely isn't for me. Obviously for others that might be awesome though.
I think I know the one you’re talking about just going through the music. I actually quite liked that— Probably more than most of the tracks, but therein lies the problem.

I like Dream Oblivion and The Fatalist, but Iridium is definitely the highlight. Easily one of the best DT songs ever, probably in my top two with White Noise / Black Silence. So it makes sense that it was actually a Fiction leftover because yeah, Fiction’s compositions were some of their best, and Iridium shines even more with the band not using plastic production like on that album. I actually made a little dissection of the song’s lyrics a couple years ago, and it’s so fucking good especially in conjunction with the visuals in the music video for it.

Reactions: DE4life
As an aside I came across a list on Rate Your Music which quoted me on Episode 666 🧐 I didn't remember writing this quote, but I checked the profile and indeed it was me. I apparently had some time on April 24th 2003 as I reviewed all In Flames' albums from Lunar to Clayman (although admittedly some of these can't really count as reviews as they are barely a couple of paragraphs). I also wrote a Siren Charms review in 2020 ripping it apart, so that's nice. Anyway, let's see if I agree with my own sentiments from nearly 21 years ago...

Lunar Strain

Stainne does a pretty good job, I especially liked his vocals in "Behind Space". It's a good start, and it's definately an album I could listen to. Worth a buy if you are into In Flames(and I'm not talking about into _Reroute to Remain_, if you are in that era and then you go to this album you won't like it, I can almost guarentee). If you aren't really into them, don't bother getting it, as it doesn't feature the best production.

Well, I'm not so big on the original Behind Space these days, but I concur with the overall conclusion. Keep in mind at the time Reroute was IF's most recent album, and I didn't bother to review that so I assume I wasn't a fan of it at that point.

Subterranean
I personally liked this release a lot. Although it only has five tracks, they are all superb songs.

I do still like Sub, but I'm not sure I'd call all of the tracks superb.

Stainne no longer on vocals, they got some other guy in ... I've forgotten his name, but, I thought the vocals on this were good.

Okay young me, firstly if you're going to namedrop Stanne then spell his name right. Secondly, don't be fucking lazy. Even in 2003 it wouldn't have taken that long to confirm Henke Forss was the vocalist. Google was a thing back then too. As for the vocals being good... my view has changed somewhat on that. They aren't awful but nor do I particularly like them.

The lyrics look bizarre, In Flames writing about love? Ah well, they pull it off well.

If you enjoy vampire lite-erotica, sure, otherwise not really mate. I don't think I partook in such literature back then but I did read a book by Poppy Z Brite when I was younger, so who knows.

Absolutely wonderful guitar work(check out the start/end to "Biosphere")and some cool, recognisable songs such as "Ever Dying" and "Subterranean" ... Stand Ablaze is a brilliant track too, one of my favorites. I think they still play this in live concerts sometimes, actually. The short instrumental "Timeless" is a creepy little tune which nicely sets up Biosphere actually. All around, great release. I was very impressed. Some songs may sound the same in melody, such as Subterranean and Ever Dying but it doesn't matter, the songs still rock. Not bad lyrics either, although a little basic.

Alright, so why do you (or I, whatever) call Ever Dying and Subterranean "recognisable" only to them say they have the same melody a few sentences later. Make more sense bro. As for playing Stand Ablaze in live concertts sometimes, no mate. Not since 1999 and not again for another 20+ years. Don't get people's hopes up with comments that haven't been fact-checked.

The Jester Race

In Flames' breakthrough album. _The Jester Race_ is simply amazing.

Good lad.

"The Jesters Dance" is the first out of two instrumentals, and a Godly one at that.

Lol, not sure I'd go as far as calling TJD "Godly", but yeah, it's nice enough.

Finally, "Dead God in Me" closes off the album averagely, in my opinion. It isn't a track you tend to remember.

Agreed.

Black Ash Inheritence
The live version of "Behind Space" is interesting, because you get an insight as to how Anders Friden differs from Mikkel Stainne.

Okay, now I'm getting annoyed. Not only do I spell Stanne as "Stainne" again, proving it wasn't a typo the first time, but I managed to spell his first name wrong too. Embarrassing.

Whoracle
Personally, I loved this album as much as I loved _The Jester Race_, the melodies, to me, seem to have gotten even better, and some of the songs on here are classics.

Eh, not sure I'd say the melodies have gotten even better. Whoracle is arguably a bit less melodic than TJR, although there are indeed many classic tracks on this album.

"Food for the Gods" Is slightly softer, and more emotional. Anders seems to spit out the vocals a little more personally in this one, adding some emotion.

I have no idea where I'm coming from on this one. FFTG is not really softer than Jotun nor would I say Anders or the song as a whole is "emotional". Maybe I was having a premonition of Siren Charms or something.

"Dialogue With The Stars" is a really good instrumental. Personally my favorite instrumental on the album, the usual way above par guitar work is at times mesmerising.

Bro, other than the "Whoracle" outro it's the only instrumental on the album, so a bit redundant to say it's your favourite.

"Jester Script Transfigured" at first did nothing for me, but, upon second listen, it's actually become one of my favorites. The vocals get more relaxed and lose the growl until the chorus, which is stunning when first yelled out, as the chorus repeats during the song it isn't quite as noticeable, in my opinion. The lyrics in this actually make little sense to me, I'm sure Anders had a meaning(Nikolas Sundin of Dark Tranquillity helped him translate his Swedish into English for this album and possibly _The Jester Race_ too)but I'm unable to pick up much. Something about a biological creation, perhaps? Who knows. The melody of the song more than makes up for that anyway.

Once again young me is spreading misinformation. Sundin wrote the lyrics for TJR and Whoracle and helped translate some of the stuff on Colony, chief. Get your facts right if you're going to put it in the review. I think from memory Sundin may have translated Episode 666 more literally from Anders' lyrics, but nothing else. In terms of the lyrics being vague and difficult to comprehend, yeah, that much is true.

"Episode 666" is arguably the most popular In Flames song ever. This song is catchy, brutal, and has flawlessly combined heavy and death metal together in an ecstatic harmony that makes "Episode 666" simply awesome.

Nice description there, young me. Good job. This was the line some rando quoted from me on his list. With that said, even in 2003 "arguably the most popular In Flames song ever" is perhaps debateable, as OFTW was likely ahead of it on that front, and Cloud Connected and Trigger both existed by this point too. Although granted both had only been out for about a year and OFTW for two years, so... I dunno, I could have been right at the time.

"Whoracle" is the instrumental that softly and calmly finishes the album off. It isn't as good as "Dialogue with the stars" but isn't a bad way to end _Whoracle_ ... although some think "Episode 666" would have been better suited to end the album.

Pretty sure I didn't poll anyone about this before writing the review, so by "some" I presumably meant "I".

These guys could almost make their lyrics complete crap(like Cannibal Corpse) and still make the songs sound terrific.

Hah, good to see I was shitting on Cannibal Corpse back then too.

Colony
_Colony_ was mainly an album In Flames' fans either loved or despised. It was certainly a change for the Swedes.

This sounds like the start of a Reroute review, not Colony. Wut? Admittedly Colony did get some criticism back then and evidently I was aware of it, but reading this back is quite amusing considering what we've heard since.

"Embody The Invisible" is possibly the best starting track I have ever heard on an album. Unbelievable! A fast-paced, catchy and brutal song that gets right in your face and blows you away. Awesome, what a way to start off.

Yeah, I still feel like Embody is a perfect opener.

"Coerced Coexistance" brings us right back to the hard metal. Starting off brutally and continuing that throughout the whole song, whilst managing to be extremely melodic and catchy. Another great solo in here. Good drumming too.

I mean, generally I still agree but "starting off brutally" ? My threshold for brutality at the time must have been quite low.

"Clad in Shadows '99" is an average track, really. I think it was only on the Japanese versions of _Colony_... I didn't really get into the _Lunar Strain_ version, so getting into this one was unlikely. It's got an okay melody and the vocals are done well, but, the other songs on the album are better.

Dafuq are you talking about you idiot? CIS '99 is awesome - although I do agree that the LS version isn't particularly great.

"Man Made God" finished the Japanese version of _Colony_. This is a great instrumental! Four minutes or so of jaw-dropping guitar work. This is the guitarists of In Flames at their magnificent and stunning best. Anyone who hasn't heard this can go download it at www.inflames.com ... and I highly recommend it. This is the way to finish an album.

Effusive praise here, although you can no longer download the song from the In Flames website. I'd forgotten they had it on there back in the day.

If I was an In Flames fan, _Colony_ would be in my collection automatically. Any metal fan should check this out. People not into the melodic death style should probably get _Reroute to Remain_ or _Clayman_ before giving this a look, though.

Being a little elitist there pal.

Clayman
"Only For The Weak" is my favorite song on this album, and my favorite song ever. Seriously, this is the greatest metal track I've ever heard. From the beginning riffs, to the varied emotional vocals, to the awesome solo ... this has it all. I can't see how anyone can dislike this song. This was the song that brought me into the world of In Flames and metal, it has remained my favourite and may stay there for quite some time. It's almost worth buying the album just to hear this song...it also has a video.

This is cute. The greatest metal track I've ever heard... okay. In my defence I hadn't heard anywhere near as much as nowadays, but still, chill out bro. OFTW is indeed awesome but I wouldn't quite go that far. As for it being my favourite song ever... hmm, you know, maybe. I've listened to it so much nowadays that it doesn't pack the same punch as back then, of course, but it did open the gateway to IF and extreme metal for me, so, it has distinction in my storied history.

"Square Nothing" is the first song that really experiments. It starts off VERY slowly, with the vocals barely above a whisper, about half way into the song the chorus comes in and from there the song accelerates into the usual In Flames hard rock sound.

I'm sorry, what? The In Flames "hard rock" sound? Get the fuck out of here with that nonsense. I seem to once again be having premonitions of SC. Or I'm just lazy and stupid with my genre definitions.

"Satellites and Astronauts" experiments In Flames sound to the extreme, but it is just beautiful. An odd word to use when describing an in Flames song, I know, but I love this. It's so soft, but still has the In Flames sound and has a perfectly placed solo too. The lyrics are generally mumbled just above a whisper, screaming at some parts too, they are written with raw emotion, yet skillfully, too. I don't care what anyone says, this song is decent.

Jeez, this is a bit defensive. Although to go from "beautiful" and "I love this" to "I don't care what anyone says, this song is decent" is a bit of a step down within the same paragraph.

"Suburban Me" offers more hypnotic guitar frenzies, along with some enigmatic drumming and brilliant vocals. Nice solo, too.

Hypnotic guitar frenzies and enigmatic drumming. I had my thesaurus out for this one.

This isn't really death metal ... if you're looking for In Flames' Death metal, check out _The Jester Race_ and _Whoracle_, if you're looking for progressive metal, _Colony_ and _Clayman_ are better.

For goodness sake, stop getting genre definitions wrong. TJR and Whoracle are not death metal, and Colony/Clayman are certainly not "progressive metal", JHC.

So ultimately as a reviewer in 2003 I had good intentions but was also a bit of a bell. Life moves on, and so do we.

Can’t believe you prophesied their spiral down to Siren Charms, I’ll never forgive you.

In all seriousness, it is pretty funny to see reference to them going soft and having hard rock moments in regards to their older material. I can kind of see that when trying to think of what it was like when their releases only lead up to Reroute, but man, hindsight with everything that’s come out since makes all of that sound fucking crazy. I can’t help but love that.

I can remember someone on the DT UM forum creating a "technical guide" for the album - which is probably still on that forum - and I remember thinking if I need a fucking technical guide to appreciate the album then it definitely isn't for me. Obviously for others that might be awesome though.

I remember reading that when the album was new. I think it was more just the poster appreciating what the band was doing on the album rather than a guide to enjoying it, lol. I thought it was a cool read that highlighted some interesting things the band was doing on a technical level.

That album was basically a transition between their modern melodic death phase in the 00s and their more stripped back and atmospheric sound of the '10s, and it kind of suffers for it. I happen to enjoy it well enough, but it's definitely a step down from DD, Character, and Fiction, if we want to group them all together.

Reactions: Xpyro125
That album was basically a transition between their modern melodic death phase in the 00s and their more stripped back and atmospheric sound of the '10s, and it kind of suffers for it (I happen to enjoy it well enough, but it's definitely a step down from DD, Character, and Fiction, if we want to group them all together).
I absolutely agree there. I can’t really say anything for or against Character in that regard, but Damage Done and Fiction easily have their strongest songwriting out of any of their albums that I’ve listened to so far, and WATV just comes off as a pale imitation of those albums’ sounds.

Can’t believe you prophesied their spiral down to Siren Charms, I’ll never forgive you.

In all seriousness, it is pretty funny to see reference to them going soft and having hard rock moments in regards to their older material. I can kind of see that when trying to think of what it was like when their releases only lead up to Reroute, but man, hindsight with everything that’s come out since makes all of that sound fucking crazy. I can’t help but love that.

It's tough to get back into the headspace from back then, as things were so different. STYE hadn't even come out when I wrote all of that. It's possible Anders didn't even have the dreads at that point, I can't remember exactly when he changed to that hairstyle. A very different time regardless, just as many of the pioneering MDM bands were shifting towards a more commercial sound.

I remember reading that when the album was new. I think it was more just the poster appreciating what the band was doing on the album rather than a guide to enjoying it, lol. I thought it was a cool read that highlighted some interesting things the band was doing on a technical level.

That album was basically a transition between their modern melodic death phase in the 00s and their more stripped back and atmospheric sound of the '10s, and it kind of suffers for it. I happen to enjoy it well enough, but it's definitely a step down from DD, Character, and Fiction, if we want to group them all together.

No, let's not do that. We'll group WATV all on its own in the AMSR category.

It's tough to get back into the headspace from back then, as things were so different. STYE hadn't even come out when I wrote all of that. It's possible Anders didn't even have the dreads at that point, I can't remember exactly when he changed to that hairstyle. A very different time regardless, just as many of the pioneering MDM bands were shifting towards a more commercial sound.
Oh fuck, that’s right, Anders didn’t have his dreads yet in the Cloud Connected video. I know he did in the Trigger/Rejection Role videos though.

I can remember someone on the DT UM forum creating a "technical guide" for the album - which is probably still on that forum - and I remember thinking if I need a fucking technical guide to appreciate the album then it definitely isn't for me. Obviously for others that might be awesome though.

It's not exactly a guide for liking or appreciating the music. They had a few posters who would break down albums in terms of scales and modulations, as well as time signatures. It will make you appreciate the band for going through the effort of putting in small largely unimportant solutions for arrangements that will go over most people's heads for sure. But if you are someone who notices the little things, it will make you appreciate things on your 100th listen for sure.

Obviously there is no musical theory committee in this world that can convince you that a 10 minute song with every single theoretical switch-up is gonna be objectively better or more fun to listen to than a 4/4 AC DC song in A Major. But you can appreciate a band going out of their way to have a variety of different keys on an album so that songs don't start with the same note and other common pitfalls that make it a fatiguing experience to go through an entire album in a single listening.

Now mind you, there's a fine line between that and overbearing arrangement arrogance like let's say Wintersun. No, I don't need to be listening to the same 3 second melody for 5 minutes straight as the composer goes down a pre-flight checklist of making sure he utilized absolutely every single little variation there possibly can be. If I had to make a poor analogy, think of importance of skillful arrangements as long-term strategy instead of micro-tactics as most people see them. It can help make your album be a tremendously more engaging and ultimately more worthwhile experience by making sure there is certain variety and elegance in not repeating the same solutions. And if it's done well, the casual listener won't even notice it, that's the whole point.

As I said, I appreciate it's all different perspectives and some people find that stuff awesome, so that's cool. But I already didn't like the album, so if I was going to need to read a technical guide to try and appreciate it then it just wasn't for me. I didn't word it in the best way, granted.

Construct is definitely an unusual album. I like it more than WaTV and Atoma, it's more coherent and I can listen to it in entirety. Moment's highs are definitely better than anything on Construct, but Moment is also an album where I like only half of songs on it.
That being said, I very rarely revisit any of these post-Fiction albums. Moment is still relatively fresh and it was in heavy rotation for me over the few months after its release so I'm still taking a sort of break from it.

Construct also gives me a lot of modern Katatonia vibes, probaby due to the production style and melodies. I really need to be in the mood for music like that.

I don't spin very much post-Fiction stuff either. I actually really liked Atoma when it came out, and as an album I still think it's a solid 7/10 with some good tracks on it. Encircled, Faithless by Default, our Proof of Life and Clearing Skies are songs I come back to somewhat regularly. The rest of the album not so much, but there's nothing bad on there. Moment was good, too. I enjoyed both albums a lot more than I did WATV/Construct.

Ultimately though if I'm listening to DT it's likely to be something from their 1993 - 2007 period. To use a Gen Z phrase, those albums just hit different for me. To be fair, I wouldn't say DT have ever released a bad album in the same way In Flames have released shit like SC or Battles. I may not like WATV or Construct much, but that's a personal preference. The music itself is not bad, it just isn't to my taste. For people who do prefer that style it's still great music.

Oh fuck, that’s right, Anders didn’t have his dreads yet in the Cloud Connected video. I know he did in the Trigger/Rejection Role videos though.

I was at the show where he debuted the dreads in San Francisco. Supposedly he got them done in Berkeley, California that day, which was the first show of the RTR headline tour in 2002. When he came out, we were just kind of staring and saying "what the fuck is going on? Is somebody filling in? No... that's Anders. That's weird.... and gay."

I was a younger man then and I am guilty of saying stupid shit like "that's gay" in the year 2002.

That was a fun show. Dark Tranquillity opened (for some reason). Sentenced probably should have. Even though Sentenced is one of my favorite bands of all time, they were very out of place on this tour and 95% of the crowd just wasn't into it. Killswitch Engage, who was relatively unknown at the time, was direct support. This may have been Howard Jones' first tour with the band. This was one of the first shows I was ever at where it was a mix of metalheads and hardcore kids and there was a lot of hardcore dancing which, again, as a much younger human, colorful language was used to describe. "That's fucking gay. And stupid."

DT's set:

The Wonders at Your Feet
The Treason Wall
Haven
White Noise/Black Silence
The Sun Fired Blanks
Monochromatic Stains
Zodijackyl Light
Damage Done
Final Resistance

Nothing gay and stupid about that setlist. For an opening set, it's pretty damn good. Back when Zodijackyl Light was a staple in their setlists.

IF's set:

Bullet Ride
Embody the Invisible
Behind Space
Cloud Connected
Clay Man
Clad in Shadows
Trigger
Gyroscope
Drifter
Episode 666
Only for the Weak
Pinball Map
System
Ordinary Story
Black & White
Colony

I saw them open for Iced Earth earlier that year and unfortunately this was the exact same setlist minus Artifacts but with RTR songs added in. Still, it was a good show that I watched from the balcony. Still have the stub from this one around somewhere too.

A fair few of IF's 2002 shows are on YouTube - I wonder if the one you went to is on there? There's one from April 2002 in Montreal which has, I believe, the live debut of System a few months before Reroute was released. The verses are a bit different (probably just a fuck up on Anders part) but it's interesting nonetheless.

I saw DT in 2007 when they were touring with Soilwork and Sonic Syndicate. Was disappointing to see them below SS on the bill. Their set was only 8 songs but had Treason Wall, Misery's Crown, Punish My Heaven and The New Build which were all awesome to see live. Soilwork's set isn't on setlist.fm and I can't really remember much about what they played, but I can recall Chainheart Machine being incredible.

There's definitely shows I went to in 2006-2009 that are on there but I don't think any from 2002 are on there. At least not that I know of. I believe I have an audio recording of the show from '02 when they opened for Iced Earth somewhere though. In fact, I think I still have a pretty damn big collection of In Flames bootlegs on a hard drive.

Yeah I've got a collection of boots that I downloaded many years ago, and I've physically stored a bunch of videos from YouTube of random shows mostly from the 2000s. I've paused my data hoarding though as I wait for a second 8TB HDD to arrive. The one I currently have isn't full, but I recently learned that Seagate pretty much sucks and my drive could die at any time. So... backup of the backup, then resume.

So I was going through an old hard drive that I imaged a while back, originally from mid-2000s. I was checking through the old chrome cache and found some frozen in time Everdying forum stuff.

1707170197096.png

I'd genuinely forgotten what the forum looked like.

I have some screenshots of the Everdying forum but they’re a little earlier than this. A couple of different forum designs. I wasn’t as active there in ‘06. This is when Archy started really going off the deep end and becoming a dictator.

I've posted this one before. Some very familiar stuff going on here for me. Apparently I was very interested in comparing In Flames to Children of Bodom? I don't know what the hell that is all about. Somberlain, Javi, Gothenburg31, Erik Erna, AnEpicDefiance, Bob Goran -- I wish some of those dudes were still around. Jabi is... er, sorry, Pallbearer.

1.png

Here's an older design for the forum:

2.png

And an old banner:

board_header.GIF

Ahh, I miss those days.