New album Foregone out February 2023

Lol :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. The more that I listen to this song the less that I like it. And the solo is becoming worse and worse.

What's with Anders' outfit? The guy just won't stop making a fool of himself.

So, the reactions to this song seem pretty similar to when EG was released. They were mostly positive.

Now I remembered. The intro reminds me of F(r)iend.

The verses just before the (shitty) lazy solo remind me of a song from Dimension Zero. But I can't remember the name. Shall search in my external HDs.

BTW, this song was written by Björn and Anders. At least it says so on spotify. ITM included Howard on the song credits. Really looking forward for the Chris’ contribution.

I always imagine what it would be like if music videos were true to life. Like imagine if you were at a venue and trying to find the restroom but suddenly there's a band just jamming out in the stairway.

I like the music video and the studio version of the song has grown on me.

I was kinda worried with this Blinded by Fear ripoff, so I've played it side by side and it's a relief - obviously, it's similar, but rather inspired than stolen, so I'm ok with that.
Also, as much as I dislike Ullaeus music videos and their pseudo-artistic efforts (what I dislike even more is just a band playing in a music video, so that's a bingo), this one is really nice. The claustrophobic setting really works well with the music.

As for the song itself, my biggest issues are another boring solo and really wasted potential for a nice synth-outro, like they did in Discover Me Like Emptiness.
Other than that, nothing groundbreaking, but it's a solid and step in a right direction. It's not heavy just for the sake of it, finally we got some of them growls, more ambition than usual in terms of structure, and finally, good bloody drums. It really carries the weight of the track and I cannot imagine the track with those programmed, god-awful drums. Probably the biggest highlight of the song.
Usually I would also complain about the chorus, but luckily we got some nice background scream/growl layers, so it's not that bad and I can live with that.
Overall, a 7/10 for me.

Then again, their social media (or at least FB) looks like abandoned band, what's wrong with their marketing? There was no announcement made prior to release, there's a big delay between track being out and IF pictures actually advertising them, there is no new info on new album. It's not a big brand since at least 15 years, so I would expect at least the effort THE are doing.

I think only some of the biggest bands have their active fanbases who do a lot of stuff, i.e. Rammstein, Nightwish, Sabaton, so it's no wonder this Jesterhead initiative is dead, but when Soilwork releases a track we know 3 weeks prior to that, with some teasers along the way, play-throughs, reaction videos... Every 3 days of so a see a post from those guys. I wonder if it's just that they are bunch of lazybums, or is it controlled by NB label.

Yep, even if the label isn't actively promoting the band there's nothing to stop Anders and Bjorn from doing so.

Contractual obligations may actually be stopping them. I think they did in last release, when they had to postpone album debut due to label, so probably it's similar this time around, they have to keep quiet unless NB says otherwise.

I'm not sure about that. What label doesn't want to promote their hands?

Nightwish is a part of NB and they're a very active band on social medias. Not only doing posts but also making comments and replies.

I don't think that NB will hold a double standard with their bands.

Don't get me wrong, IF are quite active on their FB page, I wouldn't say there's any deviation compared to your average metal band, it's just that the new song/album stuff is surprisingly quiet. I thought that might have been part of the plan, big surprise party, with new album name, date announcement, some artwork stuff going on, basically the "what's next for the band" whole package. Hard to tell who's to blame, I'd say it's 60/40 or even 70/30 on label.

Also, NB posted the new song 4 hours after IF did, so looks like it's not only Anders & Bjorn who are lazy. Or maybe it's just Monday.

No. I'm not getting you wrong. I know what you meant. And, it's weird to not promote your new work in any way. Like... Bands need to create some hype before the releases. They didn't and that's weird.

It's probably a few things. IF is an established 30+ year old band and this is their fourteenth album. I don't think wall-to-wall coordinated messaging is as necessary as it is for, say, The Halo Effect, who have to start from scratch.

The messaging has been out there on Twitter and IG, from what I can see. It didn't all come out at midnight because let's be honest, more people will probably see it during the day.

And other metal bands have been content to release singles without deets of a new album. Gojira put out Another World, like, a year or maybe even two years before they announced the album it would ultimately be on.

Well. If I compare IF to... Nightwish, Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy... and lots of other bands, it feels weird that they just release a single without first saying shit.

Look at what happened to Jesterhead. They just let that thing die.

I almost forgot that place existed. I got called out by Anders directly on the forum when I said that Jesper leaving was going to be the end. He got very defensive. Jesterhead was kind of sickening. I mean, it was a place for fans of In Flames, so I assume it wasn't much different than any other fanclub, but the people there for the most part just swallowed everything and were never willing to discuss shit unless it was "IN FLAMES IS THE BEST NO MATTER WHAT." God help you if you said anything that In Flames did past or present wasn't perfect.