New album Foregone out February 2023

I like WTF. It's heavy. It's fast and it was fresh after R2R. And, it was the first time that Slipknot plagiarized IF.

The fact that they did and nobody batted an eyelid says it all tbh, it was a very nu-metal sounding track. Not really my kind of music, but I did like some of the harmonised melodies in the middle of WTF. Chorus is awful, imo. Not too dissimilar to the State of Slow Decay chorus actually, when you put them side by side. Anders/IF Producer just uses ProTools better now.

I do like the "I lost my visual, 'cause all you fucks are in my way" line :D Anders trying to be edgy and cool with his aggression and swearing... like an angsty American teenager, one might say. Very amusing. Totally natural though, nothing to do with directing the music to a different audience. Not sure any other IF songs drop the f bomb? Can't think of any others off the top of my head.

Reactions: eochaid
That song is weird because, after releasing it, I was expecting the following album to go on that route. Instead, they released STYE.

And then, came CC that comes really similar to WTF despite de obvious differences.

I don't want to get my hopes up, but I feel like taking Fit for an Autopsy and Orbit Culture out on tour may indicate that their new album is pretty heavy. Then again, it may indicate nothing, who knows?

I don't even know either of those bands tbh. Am interested to see what the album title and tracklisting looks like. It'll give some indication as to the direction.

The new song seems to be well received.

By the way, Chris commented on an instagram post saying that he doesn't play in SOSD (obviously), but there are plenty of his solos all over the new album.

Reactions: TheJestersDoor
I don't even know either of those bands tbh. Am interested to see what the album title and tracklisting looks like. It'll give some indication as to the direction.

Both are quite good honestly. Orbit Culture is usually classified as melodic death metal with some groove influence. They kind of remind me of a mix of Scar Symmetry and Mnemic maybe. They're from from Sweden and Fit for an Autopsy is from the states. They started out as a deathcore band but have definitely evolved into something more. Their last few records have been pretty enjoyable for me.

The new IF track is slowly growing on me I guess. It just feels pretty bland at times. That solo is phoned in big time. It's gotta be one of the most generic solos, not just from Bjorn, but that I've ever heard. Very uninspired. I would've been interested to hear what Chris could've done.

Have seen a fair few comments relating the new song to 'old In Flames' - can somebody point me in the direction of the album where they sounded like a mixture of ATG tribute band and American Metalcore?

To my ears SOSD has far more in common with new IF than old IF. It's closer to stuff like Everything's Gone, Through My Eyes and I Am Above than Dead Eternity, Jotun, Embody the Invisible or Bullet Ride. It's like people have forgotten what the band used to sound like. Even Reroute, STYE and CC sounded nothing like the new single. Closest you'd get from my perspective is Watch Them Feed, which was just a random nu-metal influenced song from an obscure EP between Reroute and STYE.

Both are quite good honestly. Orbit Culture is usually classified as melodic death metal with some groove influence. They kind of remind me of a mix of Scar Symmetry and Mnemic maybe. They're from from Sweden and Fit for an Autopsy is from the states. They started out as a deathcore band but have definitely evolved into something more. Their last few records have been pretty enjoyable for me.

Hmmm, I guess I'll check them out then!

Have seen a fair few comments relating the new song to 'old In Flames' - can somebody point me in the direction of the album where they sounded like a mixture of ATG tribute band and American Metalcore?

To my ears SOSD has far more in common with new IF than old IF. It's closer to stuff like Everything's Gone, Through My Eyes and I Am Above than Dead Eternity, Jotun, Embody the Invisible or Bullet Ride. It's like people have forgotten what the band used to sound like. Even Reroute, STYE and CC sounded nothing like the new single. Closest you'd get from my perspective is Watch Them Feed, which was just a random nu-metal influenced song from an obscure EP between Reroute and STYE.

That's pretty much where I'm at. Just because it's heavy and features more screaming/growling doesn't mean its akin to old In Flames. I still hear nothing that would make me think of anything pre-Come Clarity. I think people just hear that it's on the heavier side and immediately their mind jumps to "old In Flames." Also, there's a large group of people, especially on YouTube that DO think of the CC and ASOP era to be "old In Flames." The Jester Race/Whoracle days are sadly not coming back. Unless we listen to The Halo Effect, which is the better option anyway :D

Reactions: DE4life
Agreed. It is not old In Flames. And RtR spiritual successor? That interviewer should have been slapped. But I’d take a metal In Flames over a pop punk In Flames. Let’s see.

Hmmm, I guess I'll check them out then!
I've seen that too and it's pretty annoying. Claiming that the ATG rip off is old IF is bad, but also saying that the chorus is classic IF is plain stupid.

Once again, reviews cannot be trusted. Not a single honest review.

I've seen that too and it's pretty annoying. Claiming that the ATG rip off is old IF is bad, but also saying that the chorus is classic IF is plain stupid.

Once again, reviews cannot be trusted. Not a single honest review.

I mean, you could say the chorus sounds similar to stuff on Reroute, which is 2002 so fairly old... however, it's not like they ever stopped doing those singalong choruses. They've been doing it since 2002 all the way to the present, so if it's mentioned as a return to 'old In Flames' I have to assume they mean pre-2002, as the choruses have been similar in style since then - and there's no chorus on anything pre-2002 that sounds like SOSD, because Anders wasn't singing before then.

As far as the music itself, to me it doesn't really sound like anything from IF back catalogue. Parts of it, maybe, but that's the same for every album. There are always parts of songs that sound like they could have come from earlier albums. Bjorn literally ripped off something from Square Nothing on a song on ITM (I Am Above, maybe?) so that's nothing new. As a whole though this song, to me at least, doesn't really sound like it'd fit on any previous album. Certainly not anything pre-Come Clarity.

As a huge fan of Soilwork through TLI - TRM - Verkligheten, the two new tracks they've released are extremely meh. Way too much TNFO in there.

Do yourself a favour and check out the album "Nija" and the EP "Shaman" by Orbit Culture. They are an INCREDIBLE band. Melodeath/groove metal with death metal James Hetfield on vocals. Also, their production & mixing is up their with my favorite modern production. Their song Rebirth is nothing short of epic.

Last edited:

The new song seems to be well received.

Ah, the good old times when every single Linkin Park record except their final one was heralded as "they are back!", but they never were.

The beginning indeed sounds like old IF, but it (heh) slowly decays into mediocrity. It's like a mix between some older IF riffing and ASOP, but the song completely fizzles out from the chorus onwards and ends up being one of the many forgettable Howard Benson productions. To his credit, ITM had a lot of good songs, but this is garbage. And not good garbage, like The Truth; at least you can have fun with that, even if it annoys you that it is an IF production. This song just feels like a dissonance: starts out heavy, promising, then turns into this gay kumbaya shit of a chorus.

As for Björn ripping off older IF, he straight up ripped I'm The Highway's breakdown riff into ITM (song). I can believe him accidentally playing it from some weird muscle memory, but no fucking way that he did not get a de ja vu after that.

Ah, the good old times when every single Linkin Park record except their final one was heralded as "they are back!", but they never were.

The beginning indeed sounds like old IF, but it (heh) slowly decays into mediocrity. It's like a mix between some older IF riffing and ASOP, but the song completely fizzles out from the chorus onwards and ends up being one of the many forgettable Howard Benson productions. To his credit, ITM had a lot of good songs, but this is garbage. And not good garbage, like The Truth; at least you can have fun with that, even if it annoys you that it is an IF production. This song just feels like a dissonance: starts out heavy, promising, then turns into this gay kumbaya shit of a chorus.

As for Björn ripping off older IF, he straight up ripped I'm The Highway's breakdown riff into ITM (song). I can believe him accidentally playing it from some weird muscle memory, but no fucking way that he did not get a de ja vu after that.

As someone who plays the guitar I will straight up say while it may sound similar, the bridge riff in I, The Mask is nothing like the riff in I'm The Highway, they're played completely differently and have a completely different beat.

As someone who plays the guitar I will straight up say while it may sound similar, the bridge riff in I, The Mask is nothing like the riff in I'm The Highway, they're played completely differently and have a completely different beat.
You can't be serious...

2:17

1:57

If you seriously think they didn't plagiarize their own riff there, then it's pointless to even have such a word as plagiarize. Even the best case scenario would be "heavily inspired" in this case.

I’m the Highway
2:08-2:16 palm mute
2:16-2:26 open strings

I the Mask
1:54-2:06 open strings
2:06-2:26 combination palm and open

not sure if it’s a direct rip off but it does sound similar

I guess you could say this style riff is part of In Flames’ signature sound now. Even though it’s not that noteworthy.