New album Foregone out February 2023

Yeah the only IF song that has ever given me some ATG vibes would be Food For The Gods. People are only saying "it's a return to the old sound" because SoSD is faster and heavier than what was expected. But to be fair, the album that marked the beginning of "new IF" will be turning 20 this Autumn. No wonder if many don't properly know or remember what old IF was like.

Speaking of RTR, would be nice if they played the entire album live. Likely not going to happen, though. One of the reasons being Peter said they couldn't come up with a good live arrangement for "Free Fall" in rehearsals.
Yes. As @DE4life said, this is too remote from their old days style. Indeed, is too far away from their style at any time. Too dark if you know what I mean.

Yeah I find it highly unlikely that they would randomly bust out Free Fall. Not saying it's impossible but I'd be really surprised. Someone has posted a couple of clips of OFTW and Pinball Map from that show, so I'll ask in the YT comments and see if he or anyone else can confirm.

:rofl:

I mean, honestly, anyone who has heard SotS is going to hear the BBF ripoff. It's too obvious to ignore. The band obviously know this song as well, so I find it hard to believe they didn't know this when they put it together. People gave Bjorn the excuse of 'not remembering' the riffs/melodies he wrote when pieces of them from older albums showed up on ITM... but there's no way these guys didn't notice the similarities between what they'd created and BBF. Just no chance, unless Anders and Bjorn have serious problems with their memories.

Reactions: eochaid
It's a problem if you don't remember your own songs. Is a bigger problem when you are also "influenced" by well known riffs from other bands.

Like, "we've been working on this new music for a while new year so there you have an improved version from BBF. As an extra I'm giving you my laziest solo ever. Lazy on purpose."

He should had better added a banjo solo to the song.

The irritating thing about Bjorn's solos, that I only really noticed recently, is that much like Anders' verse vocals everything else in the song takes a backseat whilst this uninspired, generic solo plays for 15-30 seconds.

Compare to Beast in Black for example, where the solos are very well done but are supplemented by the rest of the instruments. The keys and drums especially are still doing cool things whilst the solo is happening. Doesn't happen with IF, I guess because they are just lazy or not especially good songwriters.

Then everyone getting erect over it and ejaculating whilst screaming "OLD IN FLAMES ARE BACKKKK"

Fucking idiots.

SoSD is not 'old In Flames' and it's not 'the old sound'. Not their old sound anyway, because there's nothing in their discography that sounds like SoSD. If they were ATG then sure, but they aren't and they didn't sound like ATG even during the TJR/Whoracle period. ATG never had that folky, Iron Maiden-esque edge that IF carried with them up until Clayman. They were broadly part of the same genre but executing it in a very different way.
Agree. It is so cringey when newbs talk about riffs being ATG and IF inspired. Bitch, they are totally different. You are an idiot if you conflate the two.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
Yeah SoSD isn't really old-school In Flames in that it's not hearkening back to a specific sound in their history. Chorus aside, it does sound like what you'd expect from a Gothenburg metal band in the '00s, so I guess people are just relieved/excited that a Swedish metal band actually sounds like a Swedish metal band for the first time in a while.

I'm getting pretty tired of the people calling the old school fans "elitist" because we prefer the old sound. It's bullshit. Yes yes, we know, Mr. Johnny fucking Hero, that you're into ALL types of music and you love ALL the eras of In Flames and if we don't, we're just elitist scumbags. I'm so sick of the "I like everything, you should too, open your mind" dickheads. It's at least on par with actual music elitists.

There's never any debating the issue on IF socials either. If you say you like the old stuff and not the new, you're automatically shitting on In Flames. It's all or nothing with these people.

Yeah, I edited it out. Fuck them. The onus is on them to prove they played a never been before played song, one Anders does not like, and on top of it all, during a fucking festival set, which have usually the safest, most mundane sets from the bands, because it is pointless to bring up a deep cut for like 15% of the attendees.

Not all old-school fans are elitists, but some are.

As for the halo effect tweet... lol. IF and THE are playing for different markets, so IF has no reason to panic and try to make "old-school" songs again. Those who sticked with them this far won't jump now.

Yeah SoSD isn't really old-school In Flames in that it's not hearkening back to a specific sound in their history. Chorus aside, it does sound like what you'd expect from a Gothenburg metal band in the '00s, so I guess people are just relieved/excited that a Swedish metal band actually sounds like a Swedish metal band for the first time in a while.

Well yeah but ATG already exist and until their latest effort have been releasing SotS clone albums since 2014, so that's not a sound IF needed to revive :D in truth though I would imagine most new IF fans know nothing about MDM or ATG so have no reference point.

Yeah, I edited it out. Fuck them. The onus is on them to prove they played a never been before played song, one Anders does not like, and on top of it all, during a fucking festival set, which have usually the safest, most mundane sets from the bands, because it is pointless to bring up a deep cut for like 15% of the attendees.

Good job. It's amazing to me how I go on the IF Reddit and there's a thread showing the set list - and inside just comments about how awesome it is that they played Free Fall, not a single person asking for proof or pointing out that it doesn't really make sense that they'd played that. Just mass acceptance of a dubious fact that was posted on the internet by some random dude. Why are people these days so lazy and gullible? This is why fake news and misinformation spreads like wildfire, too many people just believe what they see without employing their common sense to question it.

Also they played a show the next night and no Free Fall on that set list, so yeah, it was bullshit. Wonder if it was the same guy who tried to sneak Free Fall onto a set list years ago on that website? :D

Yep, just listened to your ATG mashup on my phone speaker while sitting on the toilet and it sounded great. Good job, you are like the next Nordstrom.

One day I might even be on big Howard's level, just need to master dat autotune software and add even more layers to Andurzz clean vocals.