New album Foregone out February 2023

I like this one. Haven't heard much of their other stuff though.

Oh havent listened to this like for ages, awesome song. This song was on One-X album, which was pretty good. That album has no bad song on it. Though I don't like that much their new stuff.

Here's a small sample of Scorn after messing around with the stems. Note that this is just me messing around, it hasn't been properly remixed, just seeing what I could do with the muddy low end of the original. Stems pulled from Moises and edited in Audition.

When listening to the isolated tracks of Colony, it really is a mess.

Interesting. Reroute is what really needs attention here though :D and ASOP - mainly bringing the guitar leads up higher into the mix and lowerting the rhythm guitar, for both albums.

Yeah, I'm starting with Colony mostly as a personal project because I hate the way it sounds. And really, I just wanted to see what Moises could do. It's decently impressive. There are definitely some dropout and phasing issues, but it at least provides workable stems. We need to find an engineer who has nothing but time on their hands and wants to fix a bunch of In Flames albums for us. :D

Need to get the guy who remixed the Clayman rerecording on here, he polished that turd to an exceptional standard... albeit it was still ultimately a turd.

Last edited:
Reactions: eochaid
Oh c'mon TDG is not a bad band. :D They absolutely have good songs, at least with their old vocal :D :D

Their debut has some decent tracks! There was a time where I spun that disc many times. Simple music but sometimes less is more when what you want to deliver is angsty but emotive melody. One-X had some good songs, too. My point is that I don't want In Flames sounding like them. Which is possible because Benson produces for them, too.

It's funny how SoSD even has a similar abbreviation to SoTS :D unintentional I'm sure but just makes me subconsciously link that track to ATG when I see it.

Which way around, Stanne's vocals on Embody or Anders' vocals on Days of the Lost?

State of Slow Decay? Blinded By Fear? You decide...

Man, I feel like sharing this to troll a few jesterheads (I won't). But it's fucking brutal how similar both songs are.

Nuclearblast re-sign post:

Anders Fridén adds on 'State Of Slow Decay':
"We have always done our own thing without any pressure from the outside world, BUT being back with Nuclear Blast worldwide has for sure inspired us to write a host of new material that includes the past, the present and the future. 'State of Slow Decay' includes everything that In Flames are known for, but it’s more than just a song, it’s a fucking statement. I couldn’t be happier to release this as a taste of what's to come."

I guess that, when you cannot have the original band, then the copy is ok.

Honestly I didn't even have to change the Blinded By Fear vocal track that much. Spacing out the lines every so often, and the second verse starts a lot sooner on SoSD, but for the most part the BBF verse vocals fit SoSD like a glove.

One thing I did notice when remixing is that Anders vocals are too high in the mix on the original track. I reduced the volume on his vocals by about 1.5db and imo anyway it's an improvement.

In fairness it is a hard balance to strike, and a mix can also sound wildly different depending on the output device - stereo speakers, car speakers, high-end headphones, cheap headphones, even our friend @galvanized's preferred option the classic phone speaker... they all give a different impression of the mix. With that said having listened to SoSD on a few different devices, I think on all of them Anders is a little too loud. It doesn't need a huge rectification, but still... they apparently put significant amount of effort into finding the best possible mixing crew and they can't even mix the vocals properly? Idk, I'd be a little disappointed, although maybe vocal-heavy was just the sound they were going for.

I guess that depends a lot on the oersonal tastes and previous experience of the mixing engineer.

If you listen to IF albums post-STYE a lot of them have Anders' vocals fairly high in the mix. I think it is just his preference.

State of Slow Decay? Blinded By Fear? You decide..

Haha, this was great. :D

Anders quote "We have always done our own thing without any pressure from the outside world"

Jesper would disagree, though. He said he lost the spark when In Flames transformed from a bunch of friends who were playing music together into a business enterprise and that towards the end of his time in the band he felt there was always pressure to write something "bigger". He didn't precisely say the pressure was coming from the outside world, but he did, for example, mention he had ambivalent (or "ambiguous"? which one is correct?) feelings about Come Clarity winning the prize for "the official Swedish export product of the year" - on one hand it was an honour, on other hand he felt uneasy about their music having become "a product".

Also we now know from interviews Anders's role in the change of musical direction was definitely not as big as it was often made to be. (I'll admit I was guilty of this too). For instance Jesper and Björn wrote the music on STYE (and CC) completely on their own without any input from Anders. This is another reason I'd guess the pressure was mainly coming from the outside.

The band have always pushed this 'we write what we want to write' narrative, but I've never completely bought that. I do think they write stuff that they enjoy, but I don't believe for a second that there's no outside influence at play after Clayman. The music changes too drastically for that to be the case. As A88 notes in one of my sig quotes, you don't just go from writing the stuff from 1996 - 2000 and then 3 minute radio hits organically. It was obviously a direction they chose to go in based at least partially on business sense - and there's nothing wrong with that. These guys want to make a living off their music and you aren't going to do that just by sticking to "the roots". It was smart to branch out and overall it was working well until ASOP. That's when they hit the skids a bit, and once Jesper left they never really got any kind of identity back, just shifting from one musical idea to the next and, SOAPF aside (imo), not executing any of them at anywhere the level they were at before.

SoSD is not 'old In Flames' and it's not 'the old sound'. Not their old sound anyway, because there's nothing in their discography that sounds like SoSD. If they were ATG then sure, but they aren't and they didn't sound like ATG even during the TJR/Whoracle period. ATG never had that folky, Iron Maiden-esque edge that IF carried with them up until Clayman. They were broadly part of the same genre but executing it in a very different way.

Yeah the only IF song that has ever given me some ATG vibes would be Food For The Gods. People are only saying "it's a return to the old sound" because SoSD is faster and heavier than what was expected. But to be fair, the album that marked the beginning of "new IF" will be turning 20 this Autumn. No wonder if many don't properly know or remember what old IF was like.

Speaking of RTR, would be nice if they played the entire album live. Likely not going to happen, though. One of the reasons being Peter said they couldn't come up with a good live arrangement for "Free Fall" in rehearsals.