New album Foregone out February 2023

I mean, are the media doing that? I feel like it's more fans that are doing that. Obviously the media are going to comment that the members are former IF, it would be remiss not to. It's also natural there are going to be comparisons as a result, particularly with older IF stuff. Again it's totally natural for that to be the case.

I just don't see why Anders would refuse to listen to THE, unless he really does have something against them for forming and maybe for not involving him at all. Even Jesper, during his darker days, took time to comment and generally praise new IF stuff. He didn't just come out and say "nope, haven't listened to it, don't care". Even if Anders had zero interest in that style of MDM these days, if your friends and former bandmates have formed a band surely you'd have at least listened to a track or two? I can't buy that he hasn't heard anything, unless he genuinely does refuse to listen to it for personal reasons.

"they're just one of many bands"

He didn't say that? Did he? Really?

That's how someone talks about their ex when they broke in bad terms.

I also didn't see the media pretending that THE is anything else than a band made of ex IF members. There was one question about rivalry but that was quickly dismissed by Peter.

And, even if there was some rivalry, when it's healthy rivalry then it's good for all sides.

He didn't say that? Did he? Really?

I also didn't see the media pretending that THE is anything else than a band made of ex IF members. There was one question about rivalry but that was quickly dismissed by Peter.

And, even if there was some rivalry, when it's healthy rivalry then it's good for all sides.

15:20 - "it's just one band out of many, and good luck".

If any of THE guys are still friends with Anders I'd be pretty disappointed with that response. He basically said he's not paying attention to what they're doing, hasn't listened to their stuff, doesn't care about what they'e doing and they're just one of many bands. It's ice fucking cold :D

Reactions: eochaid
So Broderick's "contribution" was only some guitar solos. Damn. Admittedly I haven't been keeping tabs on Megadeth that well, but wasn't his leaving at least partly because he wanted more creative freedom? Yet he ended up in a band where he's not allowed to write anything (except for his guitar solos) ? Is the Act of Defiance thing still a going concern? Perhaps he's content with being able to express himself creatively with them.

But on the brighter side of things, if Björn and Anders wrote "everything", does this mean Benson didn't write anything this time around? :D

They also wrote everything for ITM but they didn't. It's probably the same here.

I'm not going to watch it, because honestly I don't like Anders' personality. He comes across as a dickhead both in interviews and in person. But going from what you guys are saying, he's clearly tense about THE stuff. These guys are always claiming they're all friends and this and that, but I think most of us know better at this point. Jesper, Peter, Daniel and Niclas are out of In Flames and it isn't like they gave up on music. That tells you what you need to know in my opinion. You know damn well Anders has heard THE, he just doesn't want to help give them any steam. What kind of friend does that? "It's just one band out of many" -- if he actually said that, again, what kind of friend doesn't support their friend's band and try to help them?

Plus, anyone who remembers what Jesper has said in the past, he very clearly indicated that there are problems with their friendship. I think it's all an attempt to keep their issues out of the media. It's a lot easier to say "we're still friends" and move past it than to say "that guy is an asshole" and get into a mud-slinging contest during an interview.

Not using Chris Broderick when you have him at your disposal is a serious mistake and a clear indication that they really don't want anyone touching their music. That's like having Jeff Loomis and not using him to his full potential. Why would you do that? Oh... wait...

If you just want to listen to THE stuff (the rest of the interview is pretty boring) it starts at 13:50.

But yeah, Anders is not speaking about this subject like he is friendly with any of the band members at all. If you didn't know any better you'd assume he has no idea who they are. It's such a childish response. He can't even pretend that he cares in the slightest. I know to some degree that is his personality, most of the time it sounds like he barely cares about his own music, but come on. If he really wanted to squash this fictional story about 'rivalry' between the bands he could have come out and said something like "I think what they're doing is pretty cool, those guys are my friends and they're bringing out some really good stuff". Instead he acts cold as fuck and completely disregards THE as anything important, which only adds fuel to the fire.

It did make me laugh though when he said "it doesn't influence us" in regards to THE.... yeah, sure, just a coincidence that as soon as THE appear you release a single that sounds suspiciously like Blinded By Fear, despite not releasing anything remotely like that in fucking decades. Sure Anders, whatever you say.

I mean, are the media doing that? I feel like it's more fans that are doing that. Obviously the media are going to comment that the members are former IF, it would be remiss not to. It's also natural there are going to be comparisons as a result, particularly with older IF stuff. Again it's totally natural for that to be the case.

Not like, say, Blabbermouth or Loudwire or anything, but I don't think I've ever seen a single interview or article about THE where the focal point isn't the fact that every member used to be in In Flames. Which makes sense, of course. Coupled with many of the fans seeing THE as either rivals to IF, the true successor to the classic IF sound, or even a fuck you to IF, there's no doubt that Anders and Bjorn -- and of course the members of THE -- are aware of this narrative. Which is why I think Anders sounded so dismissive of THE in this interview. Not that he's uncomfortable about this new band or the reaction they're getting, or that he's a dick to his friends, but I think he's just trying to downplay this narrative of comparison and competition. Hence why he mentioned why there have been other bands with IF members in them (Dimension Zero, Cyhra, All Ends, etc) and that THE is pretty much in the line of those bands. They're pretty innocuous comments imo, but the fact that they're being taken as inflammatory speaks to how this mythos around THE has ingrained itself already. :D

Could've done it more tactfully, but this is Anders Friden, master of the English language.

I did break down and watch some of it. I skipped around a bit though. I guess he basically confirmed that Niclas isn't on hiatus like some seem to believe. It sounds like Chris is a full member. In the comments, the guy who conducted the interview said that the new album is coming in 2023, so I'm assuming he got that info from Anders afterwards. Seems to be a trend to release singles 6-8 months before releasing an album, even though it's already done.

You're right about the Blinded by Fear comment. That isn't a coincidence.

Hence why he mentioned why there have been other bands with IF members in them (Dimension Zero, Cyhra, All Ends, etc) and that THE is pretty much in the line of those bands.

I don't even agree with him on this point though. DZ was a side-project whilst Jesper was still a part of In Flames. Cyhra isn't even MDM so no comparison to be made there. All Ends wasn't even a proper band :D Sacrilege was only around when Daniel was still a part of In Flames, and The Resistance was some shitty hardcore band that nobody cared about.

THE is in a different stratosphere to any of the stuff former IF members have been a part of, imo anyway. I think trying to group them together with those other bands like that is just another way of sneakily downplaying THE's importance.

I've ever seen a single interview or article about THE where the focal point isn't the fact that every member used to be in In Flames

It's not as if that's not a relevant matter when it comes to THE. So, should anyone be surprised about that? I don't think so.

Now, what does stating that they're all ex IF members mean? Exactly that. It only brings rivalry if one of the parts feels menaced or has some kind of grudge.

Expecting the media to not mention this is like expecting the media to not mention Paul DiAnno as an ex Iron Maiden. And I think that they're right.

A different thing would be if, when talking about IF, the lines were something like "ex band from the members of THE". But that's not happening. Or is it?

Stanne aside, every member of THE has significant history with IF, so of course it's going to be mentioned. How else to introduce them? Jesper from Dimension Zero, The Resistance and Cyhra, Peter who made his debut on Cyhra's 2017 album Letters to Myself, Niclas from Gardenian and Engel and Daniel from obscure MDM band Sacrilege? If you don't mention IF then it's going to look like you have no idea what you're writing about :D

"5 guys who grew up in the same city randomly join together to form a MDM band for no specific reason".

Reactions: DE4life
Said Mikael Stanne, lead vocalist of Dark Tranquillity:

"I've known these guys for a really long time. We've been friends since we were teenagers. I know they've all had aspirations to play melodic death metal, and I'm delighted to give them the chance to finally show what they can do. When I heard Peter play bass on Letters to Myself I knew he was up for the challenge."

Expecting the media to not mention this is like expecting the media to not mention Paul DiAnno as an ex Iron Maiden. And I think that they're right.

A different thing would be if, when talking about IF, the lines were something like "ex band from the members of THE". But that's not happening. Or is it?

Yeah, that's fair. I guess my feeling is that there is probably far less drama in regards to The Halo Effect and In Flames than there really is.

I actually want to see an article about THE now that pretends IF doesn't exist :D

Dark Tranquillity's Mikael Stanne Forms 'The Halo Effect' With Childhood Friends

"So Mikael, you and four homo sapiens started this band during the pandemic. Tell us more."