New album Foregone out February 2023

Lol what? The idea here is that playing Stand Ablaze once is a cynical move to grab headlines. If they incorporated it into their set regularly then I'd concede maybe there's more behind it .

As has already been mentioned, making a comparison between Subterranean and post-1996 stuff is ridiculous as the band actually included Anders and Bjorn from 1996 onwards. And before you wail about Behind Space, the '99 remake is a thing so it doesn't count.

What does that have to do with the setlist that includes SA? What kind of environment made them play SA? What made it so special that they decided to play that song for the first time since 1999? Did you even check that setlist? And, finally, why are you firgetting the part where the setlist that you linked was going to be used for a live dvd release?

Now, lets say that some places makes them feel special. So what? That's one place. Their own festival.

Now, after THE is announced, and with two singles released, IF enters the studio. And, just by chance, the first two singles are a rip off from ATG and a second try to sound heavier than their previous efforts. Then, they announce a tour with ATG and play SA for the first time since Jesper left.

But that has nothing with THE. Are just lucky coincidences.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

Ah, yes, and they play SA the following day to THE making their debut at wacken in front of a great audience. Of course, that's not related at all.

The fact that they didn't play a single song from SC, the album that's regarded as the most far away from their (original) sound (people seems to think that Battles is a comeback to their sound for some reason that I don't understand) also has nothing to do with that. Coincidences. I bet that's going to be the title for the upcoming album.

Reactions: DE4life
Keep in mind this is after a decade that included SOAPF, Siren Charms, Battles and I, the Mask. And as far as live performances are concerned we heard barely anything old school (pre-2000) besides The Hive, Graveland, Moonshield and Colony. But yes, pure coincidence now the band have suddenly decided they must be old school again.

Fact is they may have gone this route even if THE never formed. But let's not act like it's absolutely impossible THE couldn't be a factor in this very strange about-turn for the band.

"Hey everyone, here's a song we haven't played for 23 years. It's from an EP released before half of you were born. Nobody currently on stage was even in the band when this song came out. We also thought so much of it that we didn't include it on our 2004 live DVD, when it would have been far more relevant. Anyway we've randomly decided we really like this one now for absolutely no logical reason, so even though basically nobody here will know what this one is, and even if you do like it you'll not be able to buy a studio version with me and Bjorn on it, here's Stand Ablaze"

Reactions: eochaid
The only thing more nonsensical than this entire debate is that certain people here still believe that In Flames have any leftover artistic integrity left.

Yo nonsensical debates are the foundations these forums are built on. As a SOAPF thread veteran you should know this :D

Reactions: drawntoblack
What does that have to do with the setlist that includes SA? What kind of environment made them play SA? What made it so special that they decided to play that song for the first time since 1999? Did you even check that setlist? And, finally, why are you firgetting the part where the setlist that you linked was going to be used for a live dvd release?
"Hey everyone, here's a song we haven't played for 23 years. It's from an EP released before half of you were born. Nobody currently on stage was even in the band when this song came out. We also thought so much of it that we didn't include it on our 2004 live DVD, when it would have been far more relevant. Anyway we've randomly decided we really like this one now for absolutely no logical reason, so even though basically nobody here will know what this one is, and even if you do like it you'll not be able to buy a studio version with me and Bjorn on it, here's Stand Ablaze"
"Hey everyone, here's a song we haven't played EVER! It's from our most commercially successful record, yet somehow we never found it worthy to play live, not even during our In Our Room tour, where we played Dawn of a New Day, but not this one! Anyway, we've randomly decided we really like this one now for absolutely no logical rea..." You get the idea about Metaphor.

Now let me present you with a baffling alternative: they wanted to do something special, something unexpected - WHICH THEY HAD BEEN TRADITIONALLY DOING IN THIS VERY FUCKING VENUE. Would you have guessed they are going to perform Metaphor? No, you wouldn't have. That song should have been played ages ago, should have been a contender for a staple slow song, but at the very, very, VERY least it should have been played during one of their R2R tours. Yet they did not even fucking play it when they started to play Come Clarity again and when they debuted Dawn of the New Day. Metaphor is basically a song destined for greatness which failed two "now or never" scenarios to be included into a tour, yet it was played in Borgholm.

Somehow you try to argue that playing a song which they haven't played in 20+ years, but at least was a staple for a short while is much more suspicious than busting out Metaphor there and then... You see what you want to see. And no, I am not saying that you can not possibly be right about SA, but first of all, your argument is weak, because Borgholm is special and while Anders and Björn did not have much to do with the studio version, at least they did tour with that song for a while, which you just keep casually ignoring as an irrelevant fact. Moreover, the whole idea of being aftraid of THE stealing the fans which IF doesn't even have - nor do I think they want that much - nowadays is just interesting to say the least. If you are someone who goes to IF live events then you don't do it for songs like BS or Pinball Map. Even if you are an old-school fan, you have to concede that they may not play jackshit from that time, and if they do, that is just a nice extra. You can't sway the kind of fans you could possibly sway away from IF shows with an act like THE, because those fans do not go to IF shows anymore to begin with.

TLDR but skimming through that looks like a bunch of stuff I've already replied to.

Anyway, I was thinking the other day that, aside from it being a real oddity, it isn't really that special seeing 2022 version of IF consisting of the likes of Broderick, Tanner and Bryce playing Stand Ablaze anyway. Bjorn fucked up literally within seconds.

Btw they played a show yesterday but no full set list yet. In fact it just says 1. Alias. Hopefully that wasn't the entire set.

Btw they played a show yesterday but no full set list yet. In fact it just says 1. Alias. Hopefully that wasn't the entire set.

It was the special extended edition. 6 minutes long. Then Anders singing it a capella for 40 minutes more.

It was the special extended edition. 6 minutes long. Then Anders singing it a capella for 40 minutes more.

Lol, it would actually be fucking amazing if they played Alias on loop for 50 minutes, then just walked off with no explanation :D

If Eochaid and I ever attend an In Flames show together we'll be like Statler and Waldorf, up on the balcony just trolling and laughing at everything.

muppets-muppet-show.gif

Statler+Waldorf+Awful+Terrible+Hate+It+Next+Week.gif

S%26W+I+Wish+They+Had+Done+That+Better.gif

647924f508f881edb7c229b6a4a53968.gif

That's so accurate... :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:.

I didn't feel so happy and excited about an album since a lot of time ago.

I don't think the new album's potential heaviness was influenced by The Halo Effect. It was already way too late in the album's development when they and "Shadowminds" became public for them to suddenly shift gears and go back to (Non-classic In Flames-styled, save for "Pinball Map") melodic death metal because you'd have to both compose, write lyrics for, and record everything, which really isn't easy to do in half a year or less. It's possible, sure, but I genuinely doubt that they (And the engineering team) would do all of that because of a hit to the pride.

That being said, given Anders' defensiveness whenever THE is mentioned (When the default response in the industry, particularly that neck of it, is to just act like everything's well and good), the band playing "Stand Ablaze" again, and around half of their setlist (Which is up on their social media pages) being songs from the classic era and earlier... I very much believe that those are because of THE. It's not everything, especially since it isn't the new album, but I think it's very easy to see that The Halo Effect is having some effect on the band, even if it's just Anders.

melodic death metal because you'd have to both compose, write lyrics for, and record everything, which really isn't easy to do in half a year or less. It's possible, sure, but I genuinely doubt that they (And the engineering team) would do all of that because of a hit to the pride

They did all the writing process in three weeks.

It's also hard to say how early on Anders & Bjorn knew about THE. They presumably didn't find out literally as Shadowminds dropped. One would guess they at least had some idea about it a few months in advance.

Reactions: eochaid
Other than pride, there is no sane reason why would they want to compete with THE. IF has its niche and nothing will change that. They won't lose a single audience member to THE, because they have steadily lost them all since R2R.

It's also hard to say how early on Anders & Bjorn knew about THE. They presumably didn't find out literally as Shadowminds dropped. One would guess they at least had some idea about it a few months in advance.

We cannot dismiss the possibility that Peter and Daniel knew that Anders and Bjorn wanted to do some ATG rip off, so they decided to form THE. To diminish the effect.

The fact that Anders and Bjorn have shown no interest in melodeath since Jesper's departure might be something that they did on purpose to mislead us from their true intentions.

What if they've been writing this album since 2009?

Bjorn " we're going melodeath again. It will blow people's minds".

Peter "over my dead body".

Last edited: