New album Foregone out February 2023

You missed it if you haven't listened to them. It's not a band you discover it nowadays, me don't think so.

Back to Battles a bit: the one hill I will die on for that record is that The Truth is a good song. Yes, with the rest of the record being meh it feels like insult to injury and it may be directly blamed for House, buuuuuuuut I still think it is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Reactions: mindd
Funnily enough I don't completely disagree. As an In Flames song I think it's garbage, but it's a serviceable pop-rock kind of track in a more general sense. If you like that kind of music then it's fairly well done, albeit very simplistic. I don't think it's the kind of track that should be released under the In Flames banner, but it's their choice to do so. I will say that it's not very good live - I heard it when I went to see them in 2019 and it doesn't translate to a live setting particularly well.

I think The Truth is a solid song, and I remember liking it when it first came out. I would prefer if the clapping and choirs weren't there, but I do love that retro clean guitar tone in the verses. I'd say it's one of the better cuts from Battles. The album does have its bright spots.

For a song like that to work live the crowd actually have to be into it, like with Ich Will. If you have to strenghten or straight up carry it with a playback machine then it's all gone.

It just felt flat as fuck live. The energy of the studio recording just isn't there.

I don't think Battles is a bad album as many of you guys say. It have some flaws for me too, I don't like choirs and some autotune vocals too but this album is not bad. It probably has one of the best IF solo (In My Room), some good songs (Drained, The End, Like Sand, In My Room, Before I Fall, Battles). I don't really like The Truth, it feels repetitive and forced. But overall, its an album that I enjoy.

I mean, some people like eating shit. Tastes are diverse. However Battles is always ranked the worst IF album on practically any list (sometimes it's SC) and even amongst newer fans isn't well liked, so I think it's fair to say it is a bad album. You can like it in spite of that, but much like saying you like Anders' singing, it just means you like something which is generally considered poor in most respects.

It's indeed a small sample size, but STYE is not that surprising imo. It was during their boom period and it's also the most listenable for a wide audience within the r2r-stye-cc trio. I listened it to death for sure.

I also doubt being an mdm fan or not mattered much with the rankings for the post-Clayman era. Yes, followers of subgenres can be pedantic, pathetic assholes who would even gatekeep their mothers if they "had to", but your average music enjoyer just like what he likes - he won't pretend to hate something just because it would make him less mysterious. STYE is a fun, easy listen from start to finish - and on that note, fuck them for removing Discover Me from Spotify. Once it's burned into you as nostalgia, it's forever crowned as your favorite IF record, or at least for a very long time.

Battles is indeed underrated, but just like ASOP, it's an annoying record. It won't ever be considered a hidden gem, but it is a fun record which needed the production ITM got. In fact, you could make a really good record with a best of compilation of ITM+Battles with ITM's production.

In Flames feels special with how its post-Clayman albums all feel like they fall into different subgenres, so newer fans (Myself especially) kinda just love almost everything, if not everything, because we just love what the band does. I personally love the amount of variety the band's had over the years, which is making me sort of hate the modern era of the band a bit. Battles, ITM, and this new album all feel very much like they have the same sort of sound, just with Battles being a lot poppier, a lot more dumbed-down. and a lot more autotuned.

Completely agree about "Discover Me Like Emptiness" (And pretty much all of their other bonus tracks, seriously, what the fuck), especially since it's one of the very best songs off STYE if not the best. STYE's an album where, at least for me, its best songs are fucking awesome, and its worst songs are complete filler. It's weird because for as much as I used to absolutely love STYE and how nu metal it is, it's aged weirdly poorly for me.

Battles is a guilty pleasure when I'm in the mood for it, but that's the only good thing I can say. I can argue for SoaPF or even Siren Charms being underrated (Siren Charms is a very difficult argument, as I don't think it's that good objectively), but I would never do so for Battles.

It's shit. You can find a hundred bands with albums a thousand times more creative, interesting and worthwhile than Battles. Some of these will be genuinely underrated. Listen to those instead. Can give you some guidance if required. Will not be recommending Static X, Coal Chamber, etc though.

I got kinda excited thinking that this was nu metal time. It was not. That being said, yeah, I agree with the overall sentiment here. I don't think I can really recommend anything in specific, as everything I listen to is either completely 90s (But very much unlike IF in every respect) or very modern shoegaze/post-hardcore. Best I can do is other melodeath bands that you all have probably listened to to death already. Only thing I can think of is Nebularium by Disarmonia Mundi. It's my favorite album ever and it fucking oozes natural creativity. I don't know anything else quite like it. But yeah, I've got nothing for you guys otherwise.

Reactions: Jester Slave
Hear me out: Given that Anders' vocals were fucking dying by the point of Siren Charms, I genuinely do feel that Battles needed and benefitted from the autotune the vocals got. I mean, the album's still complete shit, and you can 100% argue that the autotuning is objectively bad, to which I'd agree, but... Imagine Anders' normal vocals on as poppy and vapid of a record as that. I think the autotune gives it a bouncy and unique quality that complements the music in the same way that glitter complements shit. It's still shit, but it's glittery now, and that's nice.

You missed it if you haven't listened to them. It's not a band you discover it nowadays, me don't think so.

Back to Battles a bit: the one hill I will die on for that record is that The Truth is a good song. Yes, with the rest of the record being meh it feels like insult to injury and it may be directly blamed for House, buuuuuuuut I still think it is not as bad as people make it out to be.

Regrettably, "The Truth" is the first song I heard from the band, and I fucking loved it back when I first heard it. It got me to check them out, where Come Clarity, Clayman, and Colony expanded my horizons to melodeath and all other sorts of music that I would've never been into before then. I hate "The Truth" now, aside from it being a massive guilty pleasure, but I have to give it its due diligence for getting me into my favorite band and indirectly getting me into so much more music in general. As much as I hate the goddamn children's choir type bullshit, I think this is the only song that it actually works for, and even though everything about it completely betrays everything that is In Flames... It all works in the same way that STYE, Stabbing the Drama, and Loveless work- It's stylized in a way that isn't for the sake of objective good or bad, just in a way that makes something tailor-made for a specific sound, which is pop metal in this case. I'd say it's the only song on Battles where that methodology succeeds, so I guess respect where it's due.

Reactions: ThePhobiac
My hope back when it was released was that Siren Charms would be In Flames's Projector and they would go on to release a string of kickass records like DT did in the 2000s after a brief moment of experimentation. Battles and ITM were not what I had in mind, personally. Yare yare da ze.

@Xpyro125 I really need to sit down and digest Nebularium. It's the only Disarmonia Mundi album that I could never quite get into (well, with the exception of Cold Inferno, which is pretty dull). There's something unique about it, but I find it tough to immerse myself in it when the gravitational pull of Fragments and Mind Tricks is so strong.

My hope back when it was released was that Siren Charms would be In Flames's Projector and they would go on to release a string of kickass records like DT did in the 2000s after a brief moment of experimentation. Battles and ITM were not what I had in mind, personally. Yare yare da ze.

@Xpyro125 I really need to sit down and digest Nebularium. It's the only Disarmonia Mundi album that I could never quite get into (well, with the exception of Cold Inferno, which is pretty dull). There's something unique about it, but I find it tough to immerse myself in it when the gravitational pull of Fragments and Mind Tricks is so strong.

Cold Inferno's the only DM album I haven't quite gotten into, so I feel that one completely. Half of it is fantastic, but the other half hasn't gripped me at all yet. I felt the same way about Fragments, but I'd say that it at least has more of a 90s-early 2000s vibe about it that makes it feel more unique within the band's discography. Mind Tricks is undoubtedly their CC though.

I do feel you ciko about those songs, but as I said, they feel half-finished, they all blend together. Sure, the crazyness of Come Clarity can bend together as well, but Battles feels like a long amalgamation of choruses. I honestly do not think that record needed that much work to be considered at least as good as ITM, because I think they did the heavy lifting, all that remained is some factory work, which the guys refused. I don't want to blame Howard Benson, because these guys had been experienced foxes by then so at the end of the day it's their fault.

As for their somewhat stable sound in their last 3 records (newest one included) I do not mind it. Yeah it was fun to be surprised for better or worse with every new record, but I actually feel the progress from Battles --> ITM --> (new record). I am not over the top for these two singles, but I have to give credit for being more daring. ITM was a very solid record, but it took the catchyness of Battles and gave it a proper production + thrown in some absolutely shit tracks as well. This new record seems to build upon this. As much as Björn and Anders are proud to be avoiding work at every possible occasion, by building on the same principles they inadvertedly got better in what they are doing anyway. If (and it's a big if) this big record will turn out as these new singles foreshadow it, then even if some of us will prefer ITM to it, we will still have to admit that they tried.

Tried to do what, copy At the Gates? :D they're as lazy as ever, just in a different way.

Saw that STYE was ranked #1 in that poll and was kind of surprised. Made me listen to it again.

Unpopular opinion, STYE is trash.

Vocals are weird and not human sounding, in a bad way. The guitars are weak. The production is blown out, though not as bad as CC.

I wasn't a fan of STYE when it came out. Have come to appreciate it a little more over time, although it's still pretty far down my list of favourites. The big four obviously reign supreme, but as far as the albums that came after that, I'd rank STYE above ASOP, SC, Battles & ITM. It comes below Reroute, CC and SOAPF.

Used & Abused showcases STYE as it should have been recorded. That DVD actually made me appreciate songs I'd totally disregarded initially. Dead Alone and Like You Better Dead in particular.

Not an album I go back to all that often, but still far better than a lot of what came after it. Although admittedly post-SOAPF that is an extremely low bar.