New album Foregone out February 2023

Probably my least favourite out of the singles but still good. The pre-chorus where Anders screams is very nice and intense, the chorus could have been better. Autotune is annoying.

Overall not bad but not as good as the others.

Well, we've had some positive sentiments and some neutral sentiments, now we just need Eochaid to come in and tear this sucker apart for complete balance :cool:

Fr tho guys, how is copying melodies from PT 1 a good thing? :D
My first thought is that the song sucks badly. Now I'll to listen and it will confirm that I am right.

Haven't heard it yet, but if you are going to go the part X way, then iyou should have some connection between them. That's the one instance where you can copy yourself.
I sadly agree with this. If there's no musical connection then there's no reason to have part one and part two.

Haven't heard it yet, but if you are going to go the part X way, then iyou should have some connection between them. That's the one instance where you can copy yourself.

Well, typically a part 2 is a continuation of a theme if it's on the same album, not directly copying musical portions. I mean, what's the point otherwise? You might as well just extend the original song.

If we're talking a part 2 that takes place years later on a different album then yes, of course. That's different.

Yeah, I haven't heard it yet, but it's pretty common for two songs to have the same melodies if they're split into "parts" (whether they're titled "Part 1/2" or not. DT's "Of Melancholy Burning" ends with melodies taken from "Mine is the Grandeur..." And the second half of Part 3 of Agalloch's "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline" pretty much copies the main melodies and structure of Part 1.

Yeah, I haven't heard it yet, but it's pretty common for two songs to have the same melodies if they're split into "parts" (whether they're titled "Part 1/2" or not. DT's "Of Melancholy Burning" ends with melodies taken from "Mine is the Grandeur..." And the second half of Part 3 of Agalloch's "She Painted Fire Across the Skyline" pretty much copies the main melodies and structure of Part 1.

I don't listen to Agalloch so can't speak on that, but using those DT songs is a bit disingenuous as Mine is the Grandeur... is basically an interlude/intro to ...Of Melancholy Burning, as opposed to being two proper, full length tracks.

Yeah, that's fair.

Listened to the preview on Apple Music and I'm really liking the instrumentation. The clean vocals are okay. I have to say that this perfectly illustrates what I don't like about Anders' cleans from Battles onward -- it just sounds unnatural and not within his capacity. Compare it to the cleans on "Circles" on the Passenger album. Not the best singing by any stretch, but it's within his capability and it sounds more "Anders" than this.

Reactions: mindd and DE4life
Hmmmm...

What can I say?

I find it more enjoyable than all the previous singles. Like this is a song actually made by In Flames. But, was it that hard? No. The three first singles are bad.

Then, this song sounds like a natural evolution from their previous works. Not a bad or a good thing.

The autotune is annoying.

This sonf would be far better with an extended length. It feels like seven to eight minutes is what it deserved to be developed to its full potential. Instead, it remains being a collection of sounds that sound nice but feel uncomplete.

Yeah, that's fair.

Listened to the preview on Apple Music and I'm really liking the instrumentation. The clean vocals are okay. I have to say that this perfectly illustrates what I don't like about Anders' cleans from Battles onward -- it just sounds unnatural and not within his capacity. Compare it to the cleans on "Circles" on the Passenger album. Not the best singing by any stretch, but it's within his capability and it sounds more "Anders" than this.
Anders, simply, doesn't understand his limitations.

There's not, so far, a link other than the shared youtube one. So you'll need to find a way to listen to it or wait until midnight.

Well, we've had some positive sentiments and some neutral sentiments, now we just need Eochaid to come in and tear this sucker apart for complete balance :cool:

Fr tho guys, how is copying melodies from PT 1 a good thing? :D

Not heard it as I don't have a VPN but... It's a 2 part song? I like the fact they have similarities (we'll see what I think when I've heard it)

Not heard it as I don't have a VPN but... It's a 2 part song? I like the fact they have similarities (we'll see what I think when I've heard it)

Put it this way, if someone can point me to an album which has two distinct, full songs that have the same chorus melody then I'll say fair enough. Otherwise to me it's just lazy.

Put it this way, if someone can point me to an album which has two distinct, full songs that have the same chorus melody then I'll say fair enough. Otherwise to me it's just lazy.

I can't, and that's kinda why I think it's cool

Bruce Dickinson's The Chemical Wedding.

The last song, the Alchemist, ends with the same melodies and lyrics as TCW song. Though that's a conceptual album so that kind of makes sense.

In this case, I think that more than a two parts song is a two parts story. So, it might make sense or it might not. I guess that depends on the person listening to it. (How I hate myself right now).

Closest I can think is Rivers of Nihil's The Work, not really the same Melodies but almost all the songs have the same line about "doing the work" and that album is a straight up 10/10 masterpiece

Wow, no words. This is a perfect example of what IF should be. Melodic as f**k, intro reminds me Moonshield. Cant get enough of that outro (basicly acoustic part of part 1 but clearer and with lead). Catch chorus. IF at their best, 10/10 and no I'm not being a fan boy.

Reactions: Ilias7 and Riamu