New album Foregone out February 2023

Does he say why he stopped listening to the band after Clayman? If it was because of the general musical direction of the band then Foregone makes zero sense as a reason to go back and listen to the Reroute-ITM period as it's totally different (assuming the singles are a good indication of the album in general). If he just stopped listening for no reason then OK I guess, but why would a fan of In Flames at that point in time even do that?
Due to the general direction. Dont understand your point though. He may have lost interest at the time but he is now curious to go back and see what happened. Why does that make no sense.

Because Foregone sounds nothing like any of the albums between Clayman and ITM? Anyone who's kept even a small interest in IF would know that. Why would you listen to Foregone and think "actually maybe I would like Siren Charms?"

At a stretch I'd say Come Clarity, maybe, would fit with liking an album like Foregone. Otherwise it's just a totally different genre of metal for the rest of the albums. It's certainly not MDM. Alt metal with a heavy slice of American style autotuning and chugfests.

Reactions: eochaid
Because Foregone sounds nothing like any of the albums between Clayman and ITM? Anyone who's kept even a small interest in IF would know that. Why would you listen to Foregone and think "actually maybe I would like Siren Charms?"
What i am trying to say is that he is curious, that doest mean that he expects to like the music. He is interested to see how the band evolved and why people see foregone as a return to form.

Because people don't know what the want. They keep on telling how IF is constantly evolving and they don't need to go back to the old days and now they're prasing them for their return (they didn't) to their old sound. So they like IF being heavy and not at the same time.

They've done a listening party to a few magazines. I'm reading it now I. A Spanish magazine.

"The beginning of all the things that will end" is an acoustic intro.

"Meet our maker" is, reading the description, similar to the first two singles.

"Bleeding ou" is described as groove metal and melodic metal. I must say that the Spanish journalists that attended the meeting aren't precisely smart.

"Pure light of Mind" is described as Alt Metal, accessible and catchy. Anders says that he went to some singing lessons.

"In the dark" is descried again as groove metal and savage, whatever that means. This song has Anders singing over some acoustic guitars,

"A dialogue in b flat minor" is described as modern, american-like and has acoustic guitars towards the end.

"Cynosure" is described as digestible and singable.

"End of transmission" seems to be again some heavy song. Probably similar to the first singles.

And that's it.

I feel the fear.

The possibility that Foregone has 3 to 4 flat-out bad songs like I the Mask did rears its head...

Reactions: eochaid
That's a real chance for every album of every band. But I don't think this is going to happen. Maybe one or two awful songs. But my guess is that the quality is going to be decent.

I don't think the album will stray very far from what we've already heard. If there was a Truth or House it probably would already have been released by now - it would be pointless to do a song like that and not have it as one of the singles.

No offense to Ola, because I do like his content, but I don't take the word of other 'professionals' when it comes to reviewing things. If you know anything about how YouTube and marketing in general works in this day and age, you know that a) putting out a bad review does not equal money and b) people pay you to say nice things about their work. My brother in law does a lot of work in marketing, working with some of the biggest names in entertainment and I've heard all kinds of stories about how that shit goes. Sexiest man or woman list? Goes to the highest bidder. Those stupid lists of "top 10 cities in the world to live"? Highest bidder. Influencers hocking product after product? Being paid to do so. Podcasts advertising products, same shit. It's all a money game. While the metal world is a much smaller world, it works much in the same way. Record labels, band managers, personal managers, etc. Their job is to make money, plain and simple.

I'm not trying to say Ola is full of shit. He may very well really like the album. But I think it's just as likely that he doesn't, or doesn't care one way or another. He's got Bjorn sitting right there. What is he supposed to say? "This here is Bjorn from In Flames and their new album Foregone, coming out in early 2023 is really, really bad. Don't listen to it." Even if he said it without Bjorn there, there's always a chance he's being paid to do so or he's trying to get more eyes on his content, or secure future guests. And if so, whatever. It is what it is.

But literally everything we do when it comes to entertainment is subjective. It all comes down to taste. There are records, movies, video games, books, the list goes on, that reviewers have said are terrible that I fucking love. And the reverse is even more true. I can't even count how many times I've read a review about a movie being the greatest thing ever, only to watch it and think it was awful. I'm certainly not going to believe that Foregone is this amazing album based on the subjective take of one guy. There were people that said Battles was amazing, so...

No offense to Ola, because I do like his content, but I don't take the word of other 'professionals' when it comes to reviewing things. If you know anything about how YouTube and marketing in general works in this day and age, you know that a) putting out a bad review does not equal money and b) people pay you to say nice things about their work. My brother in law does a lot of work in marketing, working with some of the biggest names in entertainment and I've heard all kinds of stories about how that shit goes. Sexiest man or woman list? Goes to the highest bidder. Those stupid lists of "top 10 cities in the world to live"? Highest bidder. Influencers hocking product after product? Being paid to do so. Podcasts advertising products, same shit. It's all a money game. While the metal world is a much smaller world, it works much in the same way. Record labels, band managers, personal managers, etc. Their job is to make money, plain and simple.

I'm not trying to say Ola is full of shit. He may very well really like the album. But I think it's just as likely that he doesn't, or doesn't care one way or another. He's got Bjorn sitting right there. What is he supposed to say? "This here is Bjorn from In Flames and their new album Foregone, coming out in early 2023 is really, really bad. Don't listen to it." Even if he said it without Bjorn there, there's always a chance he's being paid to do so or he's trying to get more eyes on his content, or secure future guests. And if so, whatever. It is what it is.

But literally everything we do when it comes to entertainment is subjective. It all comes down to taste. There are records, movies, video games, books, the list goes on, that reviewers have said are terrible that I fucking love. And the reverse is even more true. I can't even count how many times I've read a review about a movie being the greatest thing ever, only to watch it and think it was awful. I'm certainly not going to believe that Foregone is this amazing album based on the subjective take of one guy. There were people that said Battles was amazing, so...
Agreed. even though Ola didnt make that comment in front of Bjorn, he still may have a motive to say good things. Having said that he is typically quite balanced, ie. have seen him give good or bad reviews for various things, he isnt like NikNocturnal who basically says that every song he reacts to is awesome.

Bjorn appearing with Ola just shows how In Flames is trying to appeal back to “real metal” again. IF knows how to market, they’ve been doing it for 20+ years. It just so happens that for this album they are selling themselves as metalheads playing real metal. Hence the ATG rip offs. Confusingly, rejecting their own early strengths (I guess cuz Jesper ain’t there anymore).

For like the sixth year in a row In Flames was my top artist on Spotify for 2022. I could've sworn I listened to less In Flames this year than in any previous year, though. State of Slow Decay was my most-replayed song.

Reactions: shad0w__
I'm not sure I even listened to any of the new IF tracks more than 4 or 5 times each, honestly. Beast in Black would undoubtedly have been my most listened to artist of 2022, I doubt it'd even be close!

In Flames is also my top artist on Spotify with 10.837 minutes :D It looks like State of Slow Decay grew on me with time, my most replayed song.

Ghost was my top artist this year. I don’t even listen to Ghost as a choice. My kids ask me to play it in the car every single day. I’m starting to really hate Ghost.

The rest of the top 5 is mine though. Evergrey, Shadow of Intent, Orbit Culture and In Flames. I think the Halo Effect would be in there but since I got it a bit early, it’s been occupying the Winamp playlist.

My kids always want to listen to BTS while in the car. I'm seriously considering divorce.

As for my top... Most probably IF though I usually load the music to my phone. I've tried Spotify but it's not really an option.

Then... I guess... Nightwish. Probably Insomnium, Rise Against, Two Steps From Hell.

This when I think about listening to full discographies or playlists.

But IF is always on the top.

And yes. THE though it's too recent to event think about it being in the top.

My top 5 was

1. While She Sleeps
2: In Flames
3: Thornhill
4: Architects (RIP, their new album sucks harder than battles)
5: Rammstein

State of slow decay was apparently my 2nd most played song of the year. I find that hard to believe to be honest but hey. It's a good song.

Reactions: The Grayfox
In Flames were my #1 artist with 3,177 minutes of listening time (which apparently puts me in the top 0.5% of In Flames listeners, so @ciko_gfb must be in the top 0.1%). The Great Deceiver was my most listened-to In Flames song, but all of the Foregone singles made my Top Songs of 2022 playlist apart from Foregone Pt. 2, which is probably just because it was released too late to make a real dent - Last FM tells me I've played it 25 times since it came out (as opposed to 71 for The Great Deceiver; 54 for State of Slow Decay; and 48 for Foregone Pt. 1).

My top five artists were:
In Flames
The Midnight
Eagles
Coheed and Cambria
Luna Shadows

(The Halo Effect were ninth).

Reactions: ciko_gfb