New album Foregone out February 2023

Interesting little detail I noticed, the single on Spotify for the new song also has SOSD on it and I noticed it sounded different to what I remembered, so I went back to the single for SOSD and yeah, the mix has changed. The guitars are louder and the whole song sounds slightly less intense than the original mix. Don't know if that is an issue with either single being uploaded to Spotify incorrectly, or if they've gone back after release and changed the mix, it would be weird if they had as in my opinion the old mix sounded better.

I like it.

I feel like in present company, that makes me look like someone who's happy to mindlessly lap up whatever IF decide to put out, but I have been pretty critical of a lot of their recent output, particularly Siren Charms and Battles, where I'd maybe give pass marks to one or two songs across both records. I thought after those albums that they'd completely abandoned all the elements of their sound that I liked, and that there was nothing left for me as a fan except nostalgia.

However, as I said when it was released, I really liked the more aggressive songs on I, The Mask. They did feel much closer to the In Flames sound I love than anything on Siren Charms and Battles, and I'd argue that in some ways they felt closer to that than a lot of songs on Reroute, Come Clarity or SOAPF because Anders' harsh vocals were lower in tone, and I feel like the transition from the growl to the high scream was one of the real cut-off points between "old" and "new" In Flames.

The two songs that I've heard from the forthcoming record feel like they're in the same vein as the more aggressive songs on ITM, but I actually think they have more punch to them. Anders' vocals are pretty growly, there are a lot of little melodic flourishes with harmonies in the rhythm guitar parts and the lead guitar parts have that trademark In Flames tonality. I'd probably like the melodies to be a little bit more complex, but I don't think they're bad as they are. I also really like some of the subtle touches on the drums in The Great Deceiver, that syncopated rhythm at 0:56 is very cool, possibly the most charmingly idiosyncratic bit of drum work that IF have had in many a year, so kudos to Tanner, I hope he's able to shine similarly on the rest of the album. I also love that little melodic break at 2:49, I wish it lasted a bit longer, but I can appreciate it as something short and sweet too.

I'm not trying to say that those who're being critical here are wrong, the lyrics could probably be better, and the production could definitely be more dynamic, but I can't help it. I don't want to hate it, and there's enough about it that I like that I've had it on repeat most of today (whereas with most of Siren Charms and Battles, I listened to those songs once or twice and have never gone back to them). I feel like it -is- closer to classic In Flames than a lot of their post-2000 material, even if it's not exactly the same.

If these are the singles, then I'm looking forward to hearing some of the album tracks, which might (fingers crossed) be even heavier and less formulaic. If that's the case, and the Halo Effect album is of the same quality as their EP (which I think genuinely has moments that could belong on Whoracle or Colony), then this could be the best year for fans of Gothenburg melodic death metal for a long time.

I like it.

I feel like in present company, that makes me look like someone who's happy to mindlessly lap up whatever IF decide to put out, but I have been pretty critical of a lot of their recent output, particularly Siren Charms and Battles, where I'd maybe give pass marks to one or two songs across both records. I thought after those albums that they'd completely abandoned all the elements of their sound that I liked, and that there was nothing left for me as a fan except nostalgia.

However, as I said when it was released, I really liked the more aggressive songs on I, The Mask. They did feel much closer to the In Flames sound I love than anything on Siren Charms and Battles, and I'd argue that in some ways they felt closer to that than a lot of songs on Reroute, Come Clarity or SOAPF because Anders' harsh vocals were lower in tone, and I feel like the transition from the growl to the high scream was one of the real cut-off points between "old" and "new" In Flames.

The two songs that I've heard from the forthcoming record feel like they're in the same vein as the more aggressive songs on ITM, but I actually think they have more punch to them. Anders' vocals are pretty growly, there are a lot of little melodic flourishes with harmonies in the rhythm guitar parts and the lead guitar parts have that trademark In Flames tonality. I'd probably like the melodies to be a little bit more complex, but I don't think they're bad as they are. I also really like some of the subtle touches on the drums in The Great Deceiver, that syncopated rhythm at 0:56 is very cool, possibly the most charmingly idiosyncratic bit of drum work that IF have had in many a year, so kudos to Tanner, I hope he's able to shine similarly on the rest of the album. I also love that little melodic break at 2:49, I wish it lasted a bit longer, but I can appreciate it as something short and sweet too.

I'm not trying to say that those who're being critical here are wrong, the lyrics could probably be better, and the production could definitely be more dynamic, but I can't help it. I don't want to hate it, and there's enough about it that I like that I've had it on repeat most of today (whereas with most of Siren Charms and Battles, I listened to those songs once or twice and have never gone back to them). I feel like it -is- closer to classic In Flames than a lot of their post-2000 material, even if it's not exactly the same.

If these are the singles, then I'm looking forward to hearing some of the album tracks, which might (fingers crossed) be even heavier and less formulaic. If that's the case, and the Halo Effect album is of the same quality as their EP (which I think genuinely has moments that could belong on Whoracle or Colony), then this could be the best year for fans of Gothenburg melodic death metal for a long time.

Pretty much sums up how I feel about these new singles too.

People talking about this sounding like Clayman or 'the old days' are simply wrong. I'm listening to the instrumental of the song now and the verses are straight up Siren Charms. If you've listened to the SC instrumental mix you'll hear it. There's also heavy similarities to the verses of "The End". Main difference is slightly better production and more energetic drums. Chorus is definitely Come Clarity-esque. Solo is a post-SOAPF Bjorn special.

Don't you know, heavy melodic death metal = Clayman. Sure, it doesn't have any of the stylings of Clayman, but guys, come on, it's just like the good old days that we weren't around for!

Anyone mentioning Clayman knows shit about that album and the band. They know of it because of the remaster and probably think that's the peak of their melodeath era.

They aren't even able to mention TJR or Whoracle. That's fucking funny.

Now, if these two songs were the first that I hear from this band, I wouldn't be caring to listen to anything else or digging into their discography.

To be fair, people were saying that when "I Am Above" and "I, the Mask" came out, which it made at least a little more sense there, particularly when it comes to the title track.

And of course they don't mention TJR or Whoracle, those aren't nearly as accessible or iconic to the majority of newer fans. You might get someone maybe mentioning "Moonshield" or "December Flower" here or there when it comes to TJR, but that's about it. TJR just isn't as revolutionary to newer fans because they weren't there for its impact nor feel it's as accessible or 'good' as something like Clayman, which are takes I disagree with. Then again, this much is just speculative, but unless if you really love melodeath or metalcore and the history of either or both (And not just djent-y modern metalcore), chances are good that TJR and Whoracle are simply afterthoughts. I dunno, that's my best guess when it comes down to it. They're old guard albums, with Colony and Clayman being the far more approachable ones in the classic era of their discography.

I like it.

SoSD really grew on me, especially since there is something really bouncy and fun about it. While I love that TGD has no clean vocals for the first time in a long while, it just doesn't resonate with me in the same way. Sure, In Flames is somehow finally melodeath again, but it's arguably the least In Flames album so far stylistically, particularly in the melody department. I don't really buy the hype that The Halo Effect riled them up enough to start doing heavier music again. They were in the studio before the band was even announced, and even then, they were likely in the middle stages of it all once "Shadowminds" was released. It feels like the two just so happened to exist at the same time, being THE and a new, heavier In Flames. It's just weird because it feels like the album's playing itself straight this time around with the more melodic stylings nowhere to be found. I'm all for it if it's a one-off for this album, I suppose, but I like the band at their most dynamic, with I, the Mask doing a surprisingly good job at it. Then again, it did have "House", which is fucking awful, and it did just come off the heels of Battles, so... Yeah, it definitely has its handicaps and low points. I'll be kind of sad if there aren't any sort of standard alt metal/alt rock songs like "All the Pain" because I actually feel like the band can pull it off well enough, and I really hope we get more acoustic stuff.

In a way, I think In Flames just feels incredibly American now musically-speaking, and they have since Battles. I, the Mask just felt really inspired, dynamic, and it had its Swedish feeling songs, but... I dunno, TGD kind of killed my excitement a little, and I can't say I'm 100% sure why. I didn't care too much for SoSD at first, but I really came around to it. I hope there's more stuff like that. Heavier doesn't automatically equal better, and I think that goes especially for In Flames. If it doesn't feel like them, then I probably won't love it like I love even their bad releases.

Except you, Battles. You will always be garbage, even if you are an unfortunately guilty pleasure of mine sometimes.

Reactions: eochaid
Yeah I tend to be more positive about post-Jesper In Flames than most -- I like SOAPF, worship at the altar of Siren Charms, and think Battles and ITM have their moments despite being the band's worst albums -- and I'm very pleased with the two new songs. Some things could be better. SOSD is too truncated and could have used a better outro and less cheesy chorus, TGD could have better lyrics. But to me it feels like the band is back on track so far. If the rest of the album is like this, then this is, imo, what *should* have come after SC rather than the Battles+ITM duology.

To me they're just very listenable, in that if I want to hear a fun In Flames song, I could always throw on Drifter, or As the Future Repeats Today, or Versus Terminus, and I can easily do that with both SOSD and TGD.

Yeah I tend to be more positive about post-Jesper In Flames than most -- I like SOAPF, worship at the altar of Siren Charms, and think Battles and ITM have their moments despite being the band's worst albums -- and I'm very pleased with the two new songs. Some things could be better. SOSD is too truncated and could have used a better outro and less cheesy chorus, TGD could have better lyrics. But to me it feels like the band is back on track so far. If the rest of the album is like this, then this is, imo, what *should* have come after SC rather than the Battles+ITM duology.

To me they're just very listenable, in that if I want to hear a fun In Flames song, I could always throw on Drifter, or As the Future Repeats Today, or Versus Terminus, and I can easily do that with both SOSD and TGD.

That's fair. I think my profile picture says all that needs to be said about my opinion on SoaPF, and Siren Charms has really grown on me despite being one of the band's objectively worse albums (Though to be fair, I think most of their albums are nothing short of phenomenal). SoSD is absolutely my thing now that I've given it a few listens, but TGD just isn't clicking with me the way I want it to. I like it, but I don't love it. It's a song I respect more than I really feel, and that kinda sucks because I want to love it as much as I love most of the band's other works. I do agree that it's what should have come after SC though. It's 100% what Battles should've been, though I'll admit that it does have some great songs like "Drained", "Wallflower", and "Save Me". I think it's just that there's a lack of melody(?)/In Flames-styled melody that is really putting me off from it.

And that makes sense, I just hope there's at least a couple 'fun'-sounding songs on the album. They usually have some really bouncy songs that I really like, and those kinda round out all the albums for me.

Here's the thing, if you like the new song(s), that's completely fine. Everyone is allowed to like whatever the fuck they want. You shouldn't be ashamed of it or made to feel stupid because of it. My problem lies in the fact that people HAVE to relate it to past material. "Oh this sounds like Clayman!" "This is just like Colony!" The fact is, it isn't. Nothing ever will be. It was a different time, a different band. Just because it's new doesn't mean it has to be bad. Just enjoy it for what it is. I know people want the nostalgia... shit, that's WHY I love THE. But even that doesn't sound like Clayman or Colony. It has elements, sure, that's to be expected. But it stands on it's own, just like the new IF songs. Maybe it's just me, but chasing that nostalgia high is going to end in disappointment.

Reactions: eochaid and DE4life
If you enjoy it, all the more power to you. I understand that to a less biased party who stumbles upon this forum most of the posts here must come off as deranged because it makes no sense to expose yourself to music you know you will dislike just so that you could go on and rant about how you dislike it - and that's how most people here are. If you enjoy what they are putting out, I don't think anyone here will demean you.

This band meant the world to me when I was a teenager, so it's almost incomprehensible how irrelevant they became personally, to the point where I don't even bother listening to the albums fully when they come out anymore. I still hang around because I hope that they will eventually come up with another random lightning in a bottle like Come Clarity was. I still listen to the new songs attentively and I genuinely want to like it... but man are Anders and Bjorn making it unnecessarily difficult lately.

Anders was never really a poet but I think most would agree that TJR lyrics are pretty interesting at least. How do you write something like that when you are 20 years old and then write stuff like this when you are 50? How many songs do you have left in the tank with the exact line "this is the end"? Can you really not try a bit harder to put out something slightly more creative and unique?
Bjorn is less of a problem because there is nothing exactly wrong with him, I can understand his Kirk Hammettisms because it's very common among guitar players when they get older, but he desperately needs another guitarist to bounce ideas off. That another musician isn't going to be Chris Broderick because as virtuosic as he is I don't think he stringed three original notes in his life, and it sure as hell isn't Howard "autotune" Benson.

Reactions: DE4life and eochaid
I appreciate the fact that they seem to try different things (Although my appreciation comes from the low bar they have set with their latest albums).
SoSD has a different song structure and it is written in Bb key. Anders finally utilises his low growls in studio more extensively.
TGD is without clean vocals, has some tapping on guitar and uses different tempo in the two verses.
The drums don't sound programmed anymore. Even the lyrics in both songs, without some inevitable clichés, don't sound like Anders ( which doesn't mean that they are great or something)
The songs are far from excellent, but I see some effort to think outside the box they've been stuck since Battles and have a different approach.

Also, I don't understand the album release plan of NB. They've just dropped a second single out of nowhere, without proper teasing. It is August, we have 2 singles out and no album announcement, while Anders seemed hesitant when asked if the album will be released this year. Will they just keep releasing singles every two months or so until 2023?

They (the band) haven't been active in terms of online marketing or social media in years now. So it's not unusual at all. Regarding the singles, I think a lot of people in the industry are looking at what Arch Enemy are doing now, releasing a single every month or two to keep the momentum going.

It's not like new IF stuff is so bad you'd be like "lmaoooo you like that shit???", we aren't talking Battles or the Clayman Rerecordings here. New songs are fine for what they are. Nothing particularly original but at least they sound like a metal band again.

My main issue with SoSD is the ATG ripoff in the verses. I can't really get past it. It's not that it sounds bad, but it just makes me want to listen to Blinded By Fear instead.

After editing the :Joey was right' line out of Grand Deceiver I don't mind it. I won't be listening to it regularly in future but it's not too bad and I can't hear any obvious rip offs going on anywhere.

I don't buy the metal thing. Not at all. SOAPF is their best effort since CC and is not as extreme as this.

My favourite songs from ITM aren't also the most extreme.

I just care about good songs and effort. The same goes for THE. It's good that they're doing good melodeath songs but, what's really important, is that they're doing good songs. Anything else doesn't matter.

As for these new songs, they don't feel like something that people willing to put an effort would do. More like they had to because it was time. They feel lazy and boring and I lost interest in them as soon as I heard them.

You know, these guys had two years of a pandemic to make music. Instead, they had to move to LA to meet each other and wrote the music for three weeks under HB supervision. And don't tell me that he didn't because there was no other reason for them to love there. They live in the same fucking country. So, that doesn't seem the thing that people who's willing to create music do. Not at all.

Last edited:
I think that Anders has confirmed that the release is going to be next year.
I'm pretty sure in the Blabbermouth article for The Great Deceiver it said ''Due out later in the year via Nuclear Blast Records etc''. Makes more sense also since they start their EU tour mid November, if the album is released around then.

There was a recent interview with some German dude who reminded me of Bruno, he suggested end of the year for album release and Anders didn't want to confirm that, so I don't know if there's any date set yet.

Also, I don't understand the album release plan of NB. They've just dropped a second single out of nowhere, without proper teasing. It is August, we have 2 singles out and no album announcement, while Anders seemed hesitant when asked if the album will be released this year. Will they just keep releasing singles every two months or so until 2023?

Release dates in general seem really off lately. Arch Enemy announced their new album in January with a release date of August. So did the Halo Effect. Announcements are being made way earlier than normal. Especially when the announcements come with artwork, album title, pictures of finished products, etc. Obviously they're already done but they're pushing out the release dates 7-8 months. Just tell us in May or June that it's coming in August. Pretty soon we're going to get album announcements with artwork, titles, merch, etc. in January with a release of March the FOLLOWING YEAR. I just think it's weird. And then bands will release like 4 or 5 songs from the album in advance from an album that has 10 songs on it so when I finally get the album, I feel like I'm listening to an EP because I've already heard half of it and because the songs were released so long ago, I'm already burnt out on them.

It could be due to the vinyl shortage, I'm not sure. I just hope it doesn't become a regular thing.

I don't really buy the hype that The Halo Effect riled them up enough to start doing heavier music again. They were in the studio before the band was even announced, and even then, they were likely in the middle stages of it all once "Shadowminds" was released.
Disagree. You’re assuming Anders and Bjorn would not have learned about it until recording. But they started this a long time ago and the Swedish scene is not that big. All these guys are VERY well connected and no doubt share friends. I’m positive at least they heard rumors of them forming.

SoSD sounds like a real metal song.
TGD sounds like a fake metal song. Constructed, designed, more like a Battles song by a pop star producer who told them to go fast and go hard.

it makes me sound elitist to say that. But if you heard TGD 15-20 years ago you would considered commercial music. Not actual metal from the extreme metal genre.