New album Foregone out February 2023

@ciko_gfb Is everything ok, my neighbour? I've heard about the earthquake in Turkey
Hey guys, I appreciate some of you guys worried about me I'm living in İstanbul so wasn't affected from the earthquake but really down with morale. Thanks again @DE4life, @The Grayfox

I listened the album half - assed so no comments for now but will do next days, I must say I really loved In The Dark at the moment. Also Pure Light Of Mind is very good musically, vocally I have to listen it a bit more. :D

Just finished listening to the leak of the album, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would as the singles came out.

1. The Beginning of All Things That Will End- Wonderful opener, the band never goes wrong with their acoustic material. If I had to nitpick, I'd say that I would've liked it to be more adventurous or for them to build off of what they had, but I'm perfectly happy without either of those being the case. 9/10
2. State of Slow Decay- Pretty much what I said since it's dropped. It's a serious grower, and the subdued approach makes it work really well. It's a bit of a safe pick for the lead single, but I think it's a good kind of safe pick, rather than just being a safe or stock song overall. 8/10
3. Meet Your Maker- Easily the weakest song on the album for me. I don't know why, but I just can't jive with this song. The harsh vocals are great, the solo is great, but nothing does anything for me otherwise. The drumming's great too, but it's great on the entire album, so eh. 4/10 again.
4. Bleeding Out- I've been able to come to terms with this one a lot more than Meet Your Maker. It's not the best, but it is pretty good overall. The clean vocals seriously drag it down, and I think I actually could've come to quite like the song if they weren't there. 5.5/10
5. Foregone Pt. 1- Pure Light of Mind and In the Dark are some serious contenders for my favorite song on the album, but I think this'll stay it for now. TGD got me worried for the album, but this propelled my excitement to the stratosphere- Right before I got to see them live too. 9.5/10
6. Foregone Pt. 2- This one hasn't aged too well as time's gone on. The autotune on the cleans (At least outside of the verses) and the overdriven guitar tone just sink it for me. I think using acoustics for it instead of the overdriven guitars (Mind you, not the distorted guitars) would've been a lot better for it, and it would've made this a really cool bridge for the original idea of The Beginning -> Foregone Pt. 2 -> Foregone Pt. 1. Still, I'm happy with the order of the tracks that we got. 5.5/10
7. Pure Light of Mind- I know it's the most radio-friendly alt-rock song on the album (And quite possibly that they've ever done), but it just works. It just works perfectly in a way that I can't quite understand. The vocal melodies are a bit strange upon first listen, but upon repeat listens, they just make sense. The lyrics are also some of the most earnest on the record, even if they aren't high art. It sounds exactly like what one of my best friends would listen to, but in a way I can genuinely appreciate. This right here is the exact reason why I've always been okay with the band potentially shifting towards alt-rock/alt-metal over going back to heaviness. 9.5/10
8. The Great Deceiver- I really didn't like this one at first, but you know what? Meet Your Maker made me seriously appreciate this song. It's so much better than I gave it credit for, and outside of half of the song have shoddy lyrics, yeah, it very much feels like what one would expect from a modern In Flames song. 7/10
9. In the Dark- I know the instrumentals feel like a mix of Bottled and Siren Charms' more boring moments, but... In context, it actually works really fucking well. The vocals, just like in Pure Light of Mind greatly elevate the song too. Sure, that first pre-chorus is a tough pill to swallow, but the chorus itself is amongst the best of the band's modern works, and it finally feels like the band made a song with the chorus succeeding as a centerpiece that everything else works cohesively with. It doesn't just not bring the song to a halt, it keeps a good pace going. 9.5/10
10. A Dialogue in B Flat Minor- There's a bounciness and weirdness to the instrumentals and pacing that reminds me of Pacing Death's Trail and Paralyzed (And Stålfågel by Soilwork), and I absolutely love it. The solo here is fucking phenomenal, and I really hope that Chris stays in the band because he's been making the solowork finally hit for In Flames' modern catalogue. The vocals here are also great too... Except in the chorus and the little bit before it. It's the exact issue of the chorus dragging the song to a halt, which fucking sucks because everything surrounding the chorus is top tier modern IF material. I know we all expected Cynosure to be the weird song, and I think it still is, but this one's right there with it. 8/10
11. Cynosure- It's weird to think that Bjorn made the closest thing we've gotten to a Passenger song in two decades, but yeah. Even the vocals in the verses go back to estimating what Anders sounded like then, just with some effects on them. The vocals in the chorus definitely have some autotuning on them, but I really like that the band and Benson were actually smart enough to use the autotune to make the vocals sound weirder, rather than to make them sound "better". The intelligent use of autotuning here (For once) actually helps to complement and enhance the song. The drumming is a lot more frenetic than that of Passenger, and the jazzy drumming of the bridge is some of the coolest shit I've ever heard from IF's drumming. It's some Deafheaven type shit in that regard, and I love it to pieces. Tanner's a fantastic successor to Daniel, I don't think there's any disputing that. 9/10
12. End the Transmission- It's a bit sluggish in pace, but honestly? It works for the song. Anders' growls actually have a great amount of emotion to them, which is fucking awesome. They feel more dynamic than his standard affair, which has been sorely needed. The chorus' repetition also works pretty well It actually makes for something surprisingly anthemic. 8/10
13. Become One- A standard modern In Flames song done well, nothing too much more to say. 7/10

That pretty much makes an average of 7.7 without the bonus track and 7.65 with it. I reviewed ITM a while back, and yeah, this is higher than what I gave it, which doesn't entirely feel right at all. Then again, the album did manage to avoid everything I feared it'd be, so fuck it, I'm happy with it. It just barely reaches the upper echelon of their discography for me. It's 100% not a return to their classic sound, especially not after listening to the rest of the album, and I can't overstate that. But honestly? I'm perfectly happy with that. Good shit.

Last edited:
For the first time I feel that I'm not interested in what this band is doing anymore. This is not a path I'm willing to follow.

After SC and Battles, ITM raised my expectations a bit bit, honestly, this has little to nothing with the IF that I love.

Luckily, there's still THE but, for now, I'm done with IF.

I feel somewhat the same, honestly. Normally I'm straight in there with my review, track by track, but this time... Idk, it's kind of hard to articulate my thoughts because I don't find many of the songs interesting, and to me it really doesn't sound like In Flames. It's like, this is In Flames trying to be ATG, this is In Flames trying to be Tool, this is In Flames trying to be some random alt-rock douche band ...

It's a shame because I felt like after two really difficult albums they were starting to rediscover themselves on ITM. It sounded like the quirky, weird but endearing band they became after Clayman again. Now I'm back to feeling like they're totally lost, with no identity or confidence in their own vision. Instead they seem to be copying many other visions, none of which are In Flames.

Wish I could be more positive about this album, but I'm not feeling it. Pure Light of Mind, it doesn't even sound like Anders half the time. That isn't his voice, he can't do that. It's been processed to the point where literally anyone could have provided the vocal and it wouldn't make a difference to the end product. That just isn't right.

Reactions: Xpyro125
For the first time I feel that I'm not interested in what this band is doing anymore. This is not a path I'm willing to follow.

After SC and Battles, ITM raised my expectations a bit bit, honestly, this has little to nothing with the IF that I love.

Luckily, there's still THE but, for now, I'm done with IF.

That's fair enough. It's kind of how I was feeling after TGD and Meet Your Maker released, so I'm happy that the album wasn't what I was fearing it to be. It's rather core in how it nearly shed its sense of melody, but thankfully, that wasn't entirely the case. Though I don't even think Foregone will quite be for fans of the 'new'/old new era of the band, it just doesn't even have the same DNA as that era, and that might just be the biggest thing about it.

That being said, after the kind of marketing Foregone has had, I don't think we should ever really believe what's being sold. As a bait and switch, they played the long game and tried to convince everyone it was solely back to heavy/classic In Flames. I like what we ended up getting, but the marketing left a horrid taste in my mouth. They tried convincing everyone that they were going back to their roots, when if anything, this is a reinforcement of modern In Flames (Not necessarily in a bad way though). At least Battles and ITM were pretty upfront about the bait and switch.

Reactions: eochaid and DE4life
Have to agree with you there. They released a bunch of songs that either sounded like MDM or modern IF, and the rest of the album is nothing like that. If that's what you like, you heard everything the album had to offer already.

They tried convincing everyone that they were going back to their roots
Did they, though? It was the reviewers who said that, not them. Yes, the tirst three tracks were rather heavy, though you yourself said that TGD sounded so not IF, that I am not sure why would you now put it into the bait category for fans who were hoping a return to form. And Forgone 2 plus MYM already hinted at the other side of the record. Well, not the weirdness which is DIalogue, Cynosure or Pure light, but the overall sound.
Have to agree with you there. They released a bunch of songs that either sounded like MDM or modern IF, and the rest of the album is nothing like that. If that's what you like, you heard everything the album had to offer already.
Except it's not true? Bleeding Out, DIalogue and End of Transmission are leaning to the heavier side, and you wouldn't be surprised to hear those songs after Foregone 2 or MYM.

Did they, though? It was the reviewers who said that, not them. Yes, the tirst three tracks were rather heavy, though you yourself said that TGD sounded so not IF, that I am not sure why would you now put it into the bait category for fans who were hoping a return to form. And Forgone 2 plus MYM already hinted at the other side of the record. Well, not the weirdness which is DIalogue, Cynosure or Pure light, but the overall sound.

Except it's not true? Bleeding Out, DIalogue and End of Transmission are leaning to the heavier side, and you wouldn't be surprised to hear those songs after Foregone 2 or MYM.

Leaning toward the heavier side, but sounding more like a boring metalcore band with a terrible singer than IF. Now granted they've been there before with crap like Everything's Gone, but still.

A lot of fans were saying that as well, which admittedly, isn't credible for my statement nor is it credible in general. However, I don't necessarily think all of those paid reviewers were simply saying it was a return to their classic sound because it's what they genuinely thought. The sort of nail in the coffin for me was all the previews for the songs on social media only showing the heavy parts of the songs except Pure Light of Mind, which can't exactly be done. I think Nuclear Blast are the ones who tried nudging people into thinking that In Flames was going back to their roots (Not with any direct statements, mind you), while the band was complicit in making Foregone seem like it was this super heavy death metal album with not too much more otherwise. Foregone Pt. 2 is a clear exception to all of this, and Meet Your Maker has an autotuned chorus, but there aren't really any other songs without cleans and autotuning that Nuclear Blast could've used to shoehorn in a fifth single, which they felt the need to do.

As for my thoughts on TGD then... I'm fully willing to admit that I was incorrect then. My thoughts on it may not have changed for the right reasons (Thanks, Meet Your Maker), but I came around to understanding its melodies more since.

Last edited:
For the love of god, someone please hook me up with a link

Just sent a Google Drive link. If anyone else wants it, let me know. I'll be deleting it from my drive when the album comes out because I desperately need the space.

Anders is doing a live interview on NikNocturnal's twitch channel right now. Talked about his vocals, how the vocal coach that HB hooked him up with taught him the right way to recording vocals, how he learned to really know and push his limits and how he only records vocals while being calm and in a good mood because that's how you get best results. :`)

Don't really know how to express my thoughts on Foregone, the rest of songs weren't what I was expecting.
After first two listens this is unexpectedly close to the Battles rubbish bin.

Anders is doing a live interview on NikNocturnal's twitch channel right now. Talked about his vocals, how the vocal coach that HB hooked him up with taught him the right way to recording vocals, how he learned to really know and push his limits and how he only records vocals while being calm and in a good mood because that's how you get best results. :`)

What a dunce. Dude, your cleans sound worse now than they ever have. Some of those vocals literally don't even sound like you anymore. If it's gotten to that point then why even fucking bother?

Also a bit disappointing for the "Anders has such a unique voice" crew to act like this shit is good. This is what you were praising Anders for not being.

Reactions: mindd and Xpyro125
I'm going to do a full listen through of the album after I finish work at midnight here in the UK, will give my full thoughts after that but after briefly listening to the new songs on my phone at my break, I feel like the album is halfway between Battles/ITM and what I wanted it to be - half being the singles and half being the rest, I let you guess which is which

Reactions: mindd and Xpyro125
Also a bit disappointing for the "Anders has such a unique voice" crew to act like this shit is good. This is what you were praising Anders for not being.

My biggest issues with the album are the chugging and the autotune. Aside from on Cynosure, I hate the autotuning on this album. And I know that Pure Light of Mind has to have some effects on the vocals, but it actually does sound good to me, particularly on repeat listens.

Reactions: mindd