New Amorphis album

CAIRATH

Astral Disaster
Feb 6, 2002
R'lyeh
I just picked up the new Amorphis album called Eclipse, and it is incredible I think. The last two albums were a little mediocre compared to Elegy and Tales From The Thousand Lakes but this album sounds like a return to form to me. I really like the new vocalist too.

You can listen to one of the tracks (and 3 from older albums) on their MySpace site: http://www.myspace.com/amorphismusic

The new singer reminds me of the guy from Daylight Dies when he growls, the clean vocals sound pretty similar to Pasi though. That song was ok, if you've heard more of it, what are the rest like? This one was a bit too simple in my opinion (it's just verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus). The actual SOUND seemed more like Tuonela though maybe, I dunno. I never actually listened to their album after am universum :X

I really love Eclipse. Tomi is the *perfect* voice for Amorphis, and I don't mind the songs being 4 minutes with simple structures either - the growls were still a very welcome change from Far From the Sun.

And Brother Moon is an incredible song. Eclipse definitely is my favorite of 2006 so far, and will definitely stay in the top 3 unless something unexpected happens (currently Amorphis, Agalloch and Katatonia are holding those 3 spots, the last two which I haven't yet heard).

Glad to hear they have a growler again. Maybe they'll start playing the old stuff live.

opeth8 said:
Glad to hear they have a growler again. Maybe they'll start playing the old stuff live.

They didn't when Pasi was the singer? He's got one hell of a harsh voice too, his growls in Shape of Despair are way more brutal than anything Tomi did back in the day.

edit Tomi being Tomi Koivusaari the old vocalist and not Tomi Joutsen the new vocalist

Yeah pasi did growls live, and his growls on the song "Greed" on Tuonela do sound a million times better than the powerless, bland growls on their previous material. :D

I enjoy the new album(do not care for the last 3). I'm not one of those person into pasi clean vocals.

The Karelian Isthmus & Tales From The Thousand Lakes are some of my favorite cds.

I've never actually listened to the Karelian Isthmus...I never was that big of a fan of Tales from the Thousand Lakes though (Black Winter Day was sort of cool but I really can't even remember any of the rest of it besides that hilarious cover of Light My Fire). Elegy was awesome and Tuonela was only slightly less so, and I liked some of Am Universum.

after listening to 'eclipse' a few times i'd rank their albums this way:

1. Elegy
2. Tales From The Thousand Lakes
3. Tuonela
4. Eclipse
5. Am Universum
6. The Karelian Isthmus
7. Far From The Sun

I've had it for awhile now.

It was awesome the first time, pretty good the second, and I eventually got bored to hell with it the third. Now, I don't listen to it anymore. :(

I don't know why I don't like it anymore, probably because I just bought 10 new cd's of other bands recently?