New Amp Day!!! Revision F Mesa Dual Rectifier

BLUElightCory

May 24, 2007
www.coryspotts.com
Just scored a great deal on a Revision F Dual Rectifier. It needs a little TLC (small parts, tubes, etc.) and I'm going to recover the head cabinet and maybe have the faceplate anodized black. Pretty stoked!
67065_563904856966569_1811330278_n.jpg

So far so good. I'm still getting the hang of it, it's definitely a different beast than the newer Rectos. The controls are much more responsive, but they're also a lot touchier, so I'm still experimenting and finding all the sweet spots. Also, the tubes have been in there for years so I need to order some new ones. Overall the amp sounds more open and has more of the evil, ugly-in-a-good-way character than the newer Rectos, and there's more usable gain (it doesn't really saturate until around 2-3 o'clock on the gain knob, whereas newer Rectos saturate around noon).

I also picked up a new speaker cab (Mills Afterburner) so there much messing around still to do. The Mills is awesome because you can crank the Recto and it doesn't buckle from the volume/bass that the Recto generates. My Mesa Traditional cab can't take the same punishment, and my oversize Mesa cab would have turned into a mudfest.

Once I'm done restoring everything I'll put up some clips.

I agree with this, but I also must admit it's not really to my tastes, so a 2010+ Triple Recto will definitely be my next amp

I'm actually inclined to agree. By "newer Rectos" I was referring more to the Rev. G and the first gen of 3-channel Rectos. I'd like to get the two side by side, but so far I might prefer the newest multi-watt Rectos to the Rev. F (I've definitely not been subtle on this board about my love of the new multi-watt Rectos). I could use a bit more refinement right now, and the clean/crunch tones on the 2010 and later Rectos are killer. I'm gonna finish restoring it and try it with new tubes and stuff; if it doesn't blow me away I'll sell it and get a "Reborn" Recto.

Nice, and yeah, the reborn ones seem like a perfect blend of the raw open brutality of the 2-channels (IMO from Lasse's clips, and having owned a Rev G for awhile, the Rev. F and G don't really sound all that different) and as you say the more refined, less fizzy/"hairy"/noisy (but a bit cold and stiff-feeling) 1st-gen 3-channels

I always liked the sound of the Rev F. They seem to sound a little more full to me than the Rev G. Might be my favorite recto.

Congrats!
My RevF is BY FAR the best recto I've ever owned or played (and that we're a lot).

Lasse, what are you using in yours as far as preamp/power tubes? Your amp sounds clearer/less muddy/less fizzy than mine, at least in your clips. I suspect I need some fresh tubes, but do you have any tips for getting the thing in tip top shape?

Slightly OT, but is there a general consensus as to what the best version of a Mesa Rectifier amp is/was?

Lasse, what are you using in yours as far as preamp/power tubes? Your amp sounds clearer/less muddy/less fizzy than mine, at least in your clips. I suspect I need some fresh tubes, but do you have any tips for getting the thing in tip top shape?

tubes actually play quite a role in that sound, yes...I tried like 100 different combinations, till I found my favourite one.
it's
=C= 6L6 in the poweramp.

preamp:
V1:
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/sho...ECTED/7025_HIGHGRADE_TAD_Premium_Selected_390
V2: Mesa selected JJ
v3: mesa selcetd JJ
v4: Chinese 9th gen
PI: Sovtek LPS

tubes actually play quite a role in that sound, yes...I tried like 100 different combinations, till I found my favourite one.
it's
=C= 6L6 in the poweramp.

preamp:
V1:
http://www.tubeampdoctor.com/en/sho...ECTED/7025_HIGHGRADE_TAD_Premium_Selected_390
V2: Mesa selected JJ
v3: mesa selcetd JJ
v4: Chinese 9th gen
PI: Sovtek LPS

You're a gentleman and a scholar!

I already ordered a Tung-Sol for the V1 preamp tube, I'll grab a TAD as well and stick whichever one I like less into my AC15.

I was already planning on Winged Cs for the power tubes (it has old JJs right now) and it's got a random assortment in the V2-V5 preamp slots so I might as well just copy your setup, haha.

Thanks!

Slightly OT, but is there a general consensus as to what the best version of a Mesa Rectifier amp is/was?

Rev F and earlier (up to serial number ~2800-ish) are the most sought-after, though saying they're the best is purely subjective. They sound generally rawer and less compressed (for better or worse) than more recent models and have a serial effects loop, attached power cord, and small logo.

The new multi-watt Rectifiers (2010ish and later, with the wattage switches on the front) sound amazing and are easily the most versatile Dual/Triple Recs out there. They have great high-gain tones and IMO the best clean/crunch tones of the Rectifier amps.

Rev G and rackmounted Rectifiers also sound great, have a parallel effects loops and removable power cords. A little bassier and looser than earlier revisions.

Finally, the pre-2010 3-channel Rectos are probably the least sought-after version, but I've heard plenty of them that sounded awesome, and indeed some of my favorite tones that I've recorded have come from pre-2010 3-channel Recs. Different strokes for different folks.

I like the pentas, that combination looks pretty good.
I'm not the biggest fan of the tung sol in v1 of the recto though.
I love the tightness of the TAD rt010....if you want a bit more juice/fat I'd try the rt080

Rev F and earlier (up to serial number ~2800-ish) are the most sought-after, though saying they're the best is purely subjective. They sound generally rawer and less compressed (for better or worse) than more recent models and have a serial effects loop, attached power cord, and small logo.

The new multi-watt Rectifiers (2010ish and later, with the wattage switches on the front) sound amazing and are easily the most versatile Dual/Triple Recs out there. They have great high-gain tones and IMO the best clean/crunch tones of the Rectifier amps.

Rev G and rackmounted Rectifiers also sound great, have a parallel effects loops and removable power cords. A little bassier and looser than earlier revisions.

Finally, the pre-2010 3-channel Rectos are probably the least sought-after version, but I've heard plenty of them that sounded awesome, and indeed some of my favorite tones that I've recorded have come from pre-2010 3-channel Recs. Different strokes for different folks.

Excellently put, nothing to add! (except an emphasis that I too have heard some killer tones from 3-channels, though mostly Triple Rectifiers)

I've managed to get a hold on a Rev F Dual Recto for my next session. I'm going to have my 2005 3-channel Triple Recto there as well, so I might record some comparison clips if I get time to do it. Really looking forward to trying it out!

Popped in a TAD 7025 WA (they sent the RT080) and a set of Winged C 6L6s, HUGE improvement. The TAD is dramatically better than the JJ that was in there, much fatter and less brittle. Still waiting on a few parts, I'll post clips when the amp is back in one piece. Thanks again Lasse!