New axe dilemma - Help needed!

DominikJW

aka utarefson
May 14, 2008
Jelenia Gora/PL
www.myspace.com
Hey guys!

I'm looking for a new guitar, I've been playing a Les Paul for like four years, so I want something different and more comfortable now. I want to also put a set of Blackouts to it in the nearest future.

I found two interesting offers on a local auction portal - one is a white Ibanez RG2EX2 (basswood body, wizard II neck, EMGdesign p-ups). It costs 800zl which is about $265 or 200 euro.

_c165961_image_0.jpg

(pic found on ultimate-guitar dot com)

The other guit is a MiJ Jackson DK2T (alder body, maple neck, Merlin Hellfire/Legend pickups). That bitch is more expensive - 1600zl ~~ $530 ~ 400 euro. It has waay better pups but since I want to put a Blackouts set in there it doesn't matter that much.

JADK2TTR.jpg

(pic from gtp dot com dot au)

So is this Jackson worth the extra cash? For the money spent on DK2T i would have the Ibanez, set of new pickups and still I'd save some cash for strings/booze/hooters/etc :cool: Also is the Jackson more comfortable?

I forgot to mention that the axe would be used to deep drop tunings like A or B mostly for training/recording purposes.

Cheers mates!

FWIW when I was looking to possibly get an Ibanez "just to have one" again thats one of the ones I was looking at. I usually browse online music stores and go by looks first, then if something strikes my fancy I open it in a new tab. Once I have like 15-20 tabs going I start checking out each one for the woods used, hardware, any neat features it may have, then if it's still something I like then I'll check out as many reviews as possible and ask around to see if anyone I know has played/owned one to get their feedback. If it's still something I'm interested in then I put it on a list :) The RG2EX2 looks good to me, but the specs aren't my cup of tea so I passed. I'm actually considering one of the S models though, that new trem with the bearings instead of knife-edge (S5470, for example) looks really cool and apparently doesn't go out of tune when one string breaks like a traditional Floyd (read: knife-edge design) does, which was my main motivation for hating the Floyd style bridges. If it really does stay in tune after a broken string then I may get one to have laying around for whammy work. Otherwise, hardtails and TOMs are my thing.

So back on topic here...I think the Jackson would be well worth the extra cash over the basswood Ibby personally. My friend's Jackson CS Warrior is alder and he keeps it tuned low and it sounds great, it's got some major beefage going on in the tone running an 81 in the bridge.

~006

Totally go for the Jackson over the Ibanez, simply because the Jackson has a Tune-o-matic bridge so you can adjust its height by turning two screws, rather than having to adjust EACH AND EVERY FUCKING SADDLE on the Ibanez hardtail :) Besides that, I'd rather have Alder than Basswood, though I'm sure in terms of comfort they feel the same (and having owned two RG's, I can say they hang AMAZINGLY)

How is the RG321 Adam? That was one I was looking at as well, mahogany body and hardtail..mmmmm. Looks sexy too and the modding would make it killer I think...I know the one you got was tricked out already from the xmas thread.

~006

Thanks guys for your input! If I could try both of them there would be no topic. The problem is that those guitars are placed like a half of country from my place :) I live in a small city and the nearest music store is about 150km from here and i'm 99,9% sure that they dont have these guitars in stock.

@006 Yeah I've heard some good words bout the ZR trem too, but since I dont do any solos - fixed/TOM bridges are my way :) I've also read tons of reviews, watched hudreds of youtube vids and it still didn't made my choice any easier..

@Marcus I've got guitars with TOM as well as with the fixed bridge. I dont find the adjustment any worse, it only needs to be done once and good. Also i kinda like to fix sth in the guitars :)

I'd take a gamble and go Ibanez. It looks cooler, and if you're switching out the pickups, it's not that big a deal. Besides, Petrucci's old fiddles used to be Basswood, and if it's good enough for him....

Plus it's dirt cheap.

@006. I have an S series Ibanez and yes, when you break a string it still stays in tune!!!

Hmm, that makes the S5470 that much more appealing to me:

S5470_SOL_00_01.jpg

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

~006

The trem staying in tune after a string break doesn't have to do with the bearings/knife edges so much as the entire trem design.

For a cheap guitar get one of the pricier LP copies at rondomusic.com - much better value.

Jeff

Marcus, I agree completely. In fact, I also hate any guitar with single coils other than Strats to boot. However, the guitar overall makes up for it in sexiness IMO :)

~006

Well the thing with me is I pick right over the middle-pickup slot, and my pick always gets caught up on the stupid pole-pieces, so for me it's a form and function loathing :erk:

Hahah, why do you pick so deep past the strings Marcus?

Jeff: While I agree with you and know this as well, it's easier to just explain it as a problem that is inherent with the knife-edge designed trems. I'm not a fan of trems in general because of the sustain and low-end loss due to their very presence in any guitar, but Ibanez seems to have gotten the use of a Floyd without the damn thing going out of tune when one string breaks so that's 1 point for trems that I'll give back, but only the the ZR. Floyds and Floyd copies (including Ibanez's Edges) can still suck it.

~006

For a cheap guitar get one of the pricier LP copies at rondomusic.com - much better value.

Jeff

Looks like you missed my first post dude ;) I already have a Les Paul Standard from Epiphone, I've put a Gibson 500T in the bridge, it's a very good guitar, sounds great. Now I want to have something different that is more comfortable and doesn't weigh like three tons. Plus the LP's going to be tuned to standard E while the new one will definitely be downtuned.

That S5470 looks fucking great but I assume it costs like zillion dollars :lol:

Basswood Ibanez guitars suck hairy elephant balls. Seriously.

Besides, Petrucci's old fiddles used to be Basswood, and if it's good enough for him....

It'll still suck because the sound is in the hands and no matter how bad anyone wants to, they're never going to sound like Petrucci.

For further information on just how much Ibanez sucks, check out this thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/269903-am-i-only-guy-who-hates-ibanez.html#post5667242

Basswood Ibanez guitars suck hairy elephant balls. Seriously.

It'll still suck because the sound is in the hands and no matter how bad anyone wants to, they're never going to sound like Petrucci.

For further information on just how much Ibanez sucks, check out this thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/equipment/269903-am-i-only-guy-who-hates-ibanez.html#post5667242

It wasn't about him sounding like anyone, it's about the fact that Basswood isn't some weirdo "no ones ever heard of it " wood. And some bigger name people have used it before and it sounded fine. I know it's going to be a bit different but whateverr,

Looks like you missed my first post dude ;) I already have a Les Paul Standard from Epiphone, I've put a Gibson 500T in the bridge, it's a very good guitar, sounds great. Now I want to have something different that is more comfortable and doesn't weigh like three tons. Plus the LP's going to be tuned to standard E while the new one will definitely be downtuned.

That S5470 looks fucking great but I assume it costs like zillion dollars :lol:

Right, my mistake... they also have doublecuts and Strat-type guitars, but go for Agile before a cheap Douglas, just to play it safe. They have several baritones, which might help.

Jeff

Whooha! Look what did the UPS guy brought me this morning!

P1000450.jpg

Goddamn this feels soo nice while playing! Best neck I've ever had in my hands. I'll post some clips next week couse I've got some exams on the way erghhh...

Thanks all of you guys for your feedback!

EDIT: @down sorry, reposted correct link