New Bands??

ElPredicador

Yeah... Whatever
Jul 27, 2002
Santiago, Chile
Anyone heard of any new band?? (New in the way of newly known, not in the term of their first cd) Seems like some years ago started a burst of new bands, but now there aren't many new around. The lastest I heard of was Magellan, Explorers Club, Gordian knot and Spiral Architect. Anyone got a new band???

PD: I'm talking about fairly good bands in the prog scene, not pure metal, which does have a lot of new bands.

new prog bands eh? hmm

Andromeda - has a new one called II=I. The music is killer, the singing is great, but for the love of God, dont read or pay attention to the lyrics!

Gracepoint - not really new, but are little known. Its very good stuff. the cd is called "Science of Discontent". Pretty soon they should have a new cd out soon which i am looking forward to very much

Pagan's Mind - Even though i really dont like them at all, a lot of people do. Its good music but the singer to me sounds like he is a Balless Geoff Tate.

Mister Kite - relatively new, had an album out in 2002 and has one coming out this year as well. I wouldnt exactly call them prog, but more like melodic metal with some prog tendencies.

OSI - supergroup made of Jim Matheos (fates warning), Mike Portnoy (Dream theater), and Kevin moore (ex DT, Chroma Key), as well as Sean Malone (do I have to say?). Very good progrock. Steven Wilson makes a guest appearance on the song Shutdown (which is the worst on the album imo). It sounds like Disconnected era Fates and Chroma Key had a bastard child called OSI.

Karmakanic - good progrock. its the side project of the flower king's bassist. The singer Goran Edman (ex Yngwie) sounds very good on it. He would make a good replacement for Jorn in ARK

Into Eternity - they kick all kind of metal ass - from prog to death to black. about 65% clean singing and 35% black/death. The solos are amazing songs are catchy and complex at the same time. I really see this band going places far and fast. Their album "Dead or Dreaming" really came out in 2001, but got signed to Century Media in 2002 so i guess you could call them relatively new

Hourglass - Amazing prog rock/metal, the album is called "The Journey Into". Killer keys and music that compliments songs very very well. Not too complicated but still very good. The singing (to me) is excellent, he has a good midrange voice. I just wish he sang with more power, because on the moments he does it is full of emotion and just sounds really good.

Sun Caged - Working on a new album right now (they have a forum here at UM too). You can go to their site and download a couple songs.

Frantic Bleep - Sounds like Spiral Architect on CRACK! There is like 70% clean singing and 30% black vocals. It is really good crazy stuff.

YOURWELCOME!

OK, already knew OSI, Andromeda (good to know a new cd is out) and sun caged is one of my fave bands since marcel left lemur voice and (re)joined it.
Could you please describe a bit more indepth the other bands? Into Eternity and Hourglass seem to be very intersesting out of your description, but would be nice to know something about the others.
Thanks for replying to my post :)

PD: Why shouldn't I read andromeda's lyrics?

http://www.home.no/franticbleep/ then click on Download. you can have all 4 of their songs.

Gracepoint - A very good metal band with some progressive undertones and light thrash. The singer is awesome. He sounds like a Scott Weiland (from Stone Temple Pilots) but much more agressive. Still very melodic and soothing voice. Everything in the band is tight. Unfortunately the drummer left and I dont know if they found a replacement yet.

Pagan's Mind - you can have some fanboy tell you bout them. I really dont like them at all just because of the singer. The music is progressive with some power to it. The music is cool, the singer aint. the name of the album is Celestial Entrance (i think) and its about the movie Stargate

Mister Kite is pretty good melodic metal with some progressive undertones. The singer has a tiny rasp in his voice, but sings with power and still is melodic. He does a decent job. The cd is called All in Time. To be honest it doesnt have a great replay value, but i put it on every once in a while and it does a good job to fill my needs.

Karmakanic - the name of the cd is Entering the Spectra. Ive said just about it all above, but i want to say again that it is very good prog rock. I dont know too much about the genre so I cannot really compare it. I believe i have heard it compared to the Flower Kings (obviously).

Dont pay attention to Andromeda's lyrics because they are HORRID. Just listen to the singers melodies and the music lol.

As for the new Andromeda, the lyrics may be the only subpar thing about the new album...which I feel is incredible, manic and intense yet melodic, technical yet soulful, and full of jawdropping musicianship. The new vocalist is blessed with a stunning range. The title track in particular owns my soul, possessing one of the most perfectly executed buildups I have heard in a long time...

I checked out Frantic Bleep and they are awesome! I hope they release a full length with better production sometime soon.

Demonspell said:
As for the new Andromeda, the lyrics may be the only subpar thing about the new album...which I feel is incredible, manic and intense yet melodic, technical yet soulful, and full of jawdropping musicianship. The new vocalist is blessed with a stunning range. The title track in particular owns my soul, possessing one of the most perfectly executed buildups I have heard in a long time...

Agreed completely. The title track is magical.

NP: Pain of Salvation - "Reconciliation"

azal said:
if you can take really rough vocals...The Dillinger Escape Plan are one of my favorite bands.

technical as fuck.

Yeah, they are pretty technical, but I can't stand bands with vocals like that unless they are extremely melodic to offset the singing. Bands like Soilwork, Arch Enemy, and older In Flames do the trick.

Soul of Ice said:
OSI - supergroup made of Jim Matheos (fates warning), Mike Portnoy (Dream theater), and Kevin moore (ex DT, Chroma Key), as well as Sean Malone (do I have to say?). Very good progrock. Steven Wilson makes a guest appearance on the song Shutdown (which is the worst on the album imo). It sounds like Disconnected era Fates and Chroma Key had a bastard child called OSI.

The best example of the worst music.

Btw, what is Spiral Architect?

Spiral Architect is a band from norway I think (or somewhere near), which play really technical metal. be advised, it has some reeally odd rythms and signatures. it is im-possible to headbang