The Recommendations Thread

Are you counting DM and BM under "extreme"? Otherwise I'd say you've got the shit going on.

By DM & BM, I assume you mean Death & Black metal? (not doom merchants & bowel movements)
Yes, I guess I'm lumping them into that group...
Sorry to disappoint....BUT! I did dig that Swano MoonTower you reccommended, and Swano's growls are very non-annoying on the new Threshold cd as well. (just for an example)

Of course he is.
Bitch! :lol:

You really should try to get into more extreme stuff. I'd be happy to give you good starting bands.

Anything without unintelligible cookie monster growling, or lyrics I have to read under a blacklight wile rubbing chicken bones together and walking counterclockwise around a pentagram? :) I'm SOMEWHAT vocal picky. A shitty (IMO) singer ruins what could be a fantastic disc musically. The "beuaty & the beast" stuff doesn't bother me as much, but I've always had an anti-cookie mentality that I'm trying to overcome. So far, I haven't found anything to change my mind. I really am open to a lot of stuff musically, but I do have some bias that has built up over time.......

edit: In my previous post defines=defies....

Yeah... four seasons, summer III presto... that's metal!

Strings + Metal = Metal +1EXP!

@J-Dub: Yeah I agree, I'm not too much into Black/Death either... don't mind the occasional DM, but more for the music behind it, than the vocals. DM is unavoidable here though, the local metal scene is practically dominated by death metal... some great bands, but I mostly like them for their music, once again.

:lol:

Anything without unintelligible cookie monster growling, or lyrics I have to read under a blacklight wile rubbing chicken bones together and walking counterclockwise around a pentagram? :) I'm SOMEWHAT vocal picky. A shitty (IMO) singer ruins what could be a fantastic disc musically. The "beuaty & the beast" stuff doesn't bother me as much, but I've always had an anti-cookie mentality that I'm trying to overcome. So far, I haven't found anything to change my mind. I really am open to a lot of stuff musically, but I do have some bias that has built up over time.......

Opeth is great. The growls are good and the lyrics are mild comparatively. Get Ghost Reveries first though. Also, Negura Bunget's Om. Brilliant stuff and a great way to get more into black metal.

:lol:

Opeth is great. The growls are good and the lyrics are mild comparatively. Get Ghost Reveries first though. Also, Negura Bunget's Om. Brilliant stuff and a great way to get more into black metal.

You know, I REALLY tried to get into Opeth. Musically, I liked em' a lot,
but the growlies wrecked it (IMO, of course) More tolerable than a lot of other stuff I tried, but still yuk, to me. Jax can attest to some of the Opeth battles I was involved in on another list we were on.

Cake is better... or you can skip straight to pure chocolate!

Opeth, is awesome. For one, their death growls are somewhat more decipherable than many I've heard!

Just got "Snakes and Arrows" from Rush (pretty good, but not amongst their best), and "Ghost Opera" (limited edition) from Kamelot. I like what I hear, but I think it'll take a few more listens to really get into. Maybe it's because I love "Karma" so freakin' much, hehe.

You know, I REALLY tried to get into Opeth. Musically, I liked em' a lot,
but the growlies wrecked it (IMO, of course) More tolerable than a lot of other stuff I tried, but still yuk, to me. Jax can attest to some of the Opeth battles I was involved in on another list we were on.

Try Negura Bunget. Om.