Prog Recommendations

Try Adam & Eve by The Flower Kings, Mabool by Orphaned Land, andwait 'till the new Symphony X, the new Dream Theater, the new Ayreon and the new Opeth coming out this year

Androz said:
Try Adam & Eve by The Flower Kings, Mabool by Orphaned Land, andwait 'till the new Symphony X, the new Dream Theater, the new Ayreon and the new Opeth coming out this year

Are you talking about the Ayreon reissues? Because I thought the next Arjen Lucassen project was a totally new one, with Marcela Bovio...?

I so hope that the new DT isn't a confused ramble like some of thier Rudess-era work...

As for Opeth...I have no worries about them. ;)

Yeap, new DT after train of thought, the recording is finished, they are mixing it, and about the Ayreon one acording to what I know, the new one with Marcela Bovio is coming out this year

Strychnos said:
Anyone like Ice Age and Zero Hour? the latter arent really prog IMO, but lean to it better then those nu metal acts. :Spin:
Zero Hour is fuckin amazing, and i'd definitely say they're prog.
nobody sounds like them.

Androz said:
Yeap, new DT after train of thought, the recording is finished, they are mixing it, and about the Ayreon one acording to what I know, the new one with Marcela Bovio is coming out this year
Wow, that was quick of DT. I hope that the songwriting is better than ToT. Sorry, but I just don't think that album holds water completely. It has a couple of good songs, but the rest are wankfests.

Definitely looking forward to the new Ayreon. Marcela said that her band's new album will feature English lyrics, too. That's supposed to be out this year, as well. I wouldn't call Elfonia prog, though.

weenur said:
Wow, that was quick of DT. I hope that the songwriting is better than ToT. Sorry, but I just don't think that album holds water completely. It has a couple of good songs, but the rest are wankfests.

I bet you'd take that back compared to Scenes from a Memory. Speaking of serious wankfests...

(Sorry to the more serious DT fans, but that's what I think.)

@arglebagle- The new Flower Kings' release is one of the real classics in this genre.

@Rose Immortal- Its ok, I know a lot of people that do not enjoy that album AT ALL. Others like us love it. I love this so-called "wankery", especially guitar-wanking, I love it, I just do. Unfortunately I really don't like Russ's voice very much, sorry.

@Weengur- I think of Train of Thought as an excellent album if another band like Evergrey or even Symphony X made it. I'm sorry but I don't like Russ' voice very much. My love for Kevin James Labrie's voice made me love it.. I don't like rap very much, but I thought the "rapping" fit the song. This Dying Soul is one of my favorite DT tunes on that cd. So dark and depressive. I personally loved the lyrics.

Ok Here are some quality Prog bands to check out:
Ok, Symphony X, Evergrey and Dream Theater are mentioned already soo...
Symphony X- Divine Wings of Tragedy
Evergrey- The Inner Circle
Dream Theater- Images and Words
Here:
Opeth- Mixing of Prog, Doom, Death and Black Metal- very decent (BlackWater Park)
Emerson, Lake and Palmer- Amazing fusion Prog Rock band, one of the most technically sound band alive and of course amazingly emotional. (Tarkus)
Pain Of Salvation- Perhaps the most emotional band alive. (The Perfect Element Part I or Remedy Lane)
Spastic Ink- One of the most technical bands ever, if you like technical, they are your guys. (Ink Complete)
Fates Warning- Has one of the most talented guitarists ever- Jim Matheos and the music is superb (Pleasant Shade of Gray)
TransAtlantic- Amazing epic bands, if you like long Prog Rock bands with a slight Beatles influence, then this is yours (Bridge Across Forever)
Spock's Beard/Neal Morse- Amazing emotions in this neo-Progressive rock band, highly recommended for fans of a more melodic or mellow Prog Rock. (Octane or Snow)

Thats it guys