Prog Recommendations

anonymousnick2001

World's Greatest Vocalist
Aug 10, 2003
I
Got any prog music recommendations?

I don't know when the last rec. thread popped up in here, and I'm dying for some new stuff that's classifiable as prog. Old-school like Genesis or ELP, progmetal like Queensryche or Fates Warning, prog-death like Cynic, fusion like Gordian Knot, ethnic, avant-garde, art rock like Styx or A Perfect Circle, weird-ass shit, or unclassifiable stuff like Orphaned Land or Dead Can Dance.

Also experimental metal/rock stuff like newer Cephalic Carnage or The Mars Volta.

And discussion, please. Description. Arguing. Whatever.

Sym X \m/

Syzygy - prog rock
Taal - experimental prog metal
Karcius - experimental instrumental rock/metal
Unexpect - experimental black metal
Arcturus - get their disc La Masquerade Infernale (experimental)
The Flower Kings and Karmakanic are prog rock by basically the same people

I recommend Nightingale, one of my favorite bands.

It's proggy goth, or maybe gothy prog, take your pick. It's the type of band that any fan of melodic metal can get into.

Haunting atmosphere and awesome melodies, who could ask for more?

Ark are definitely worth checking out for a completely different progressive approach - Burn the Sun is one of my favourite albums ever. You mentioned Orphaned Land, but just in case anyone hasn't heard their masterpiece that is Mabool, then for the love of god, get that album now.

Masterplan
Magnitude 9
Povertys No Crime
Zero Hour <_--- amazing
Kamelot
Vanden Plas
Virgin Steele
Royal Hunt
Tiles
IQ
The Tangent (fusionish)
Pain of Salvation
Nightingale (need to repeat this one)
Threshold
Pallas
Angra
Everon
Spocks Beard
Star One/Ayreon/Ambeon

I bought Orphaned land - mabool today :D i haven't really had a chance to listen to it properly, since i've been drinking since i bought it, but i'm listening to it now and so far it sounds awesome! (though i doubt i'll get to the end of the album is it's already 2.30 :S).

Pain of Salvation - Be is, in my opinion, amazing, but i can see how it may bore some people...you really have to get into the mood of it to really enjoy it.

The Flower Kings = really good PROG PROG PROG
Angra are a band i've only discovered recently, who are basically prog/power metal, but definately manage to bring something new to the power metal genre...i'm REALLY liking their new album at the moment.
I've also recently discovered a band called Mob Rules, who although aren't awesome, are a pretty good power metal with alot of quite good melow moments on their album....but with some pretty "phat" riffs too (god im ashamed i used that word!)
Just realised how much i've started to ramble, and how long it's taken me to write this post with all the spelling mistakes i managed to make, so im gonna leave now.......