The Recommendations Thread

Take those recs if you want their prog height.

If you want their 80s synthy era: Presto or Grace Under Pressure
Best recent release: Vapor Trails.

Rush is one of those bands where you could really pick any album.

well I like all their styles. the 70s progressive style from the early albums, the 80s feel-good pop/rock and recently their more "modern" prog sound. I just love the song Far Cry for example.

I shouldn't ask for a band's "best albums" when it's a band like Rush where each one is a bit unique. I'm just gonna try and get a listen at all of em :D

OK here is a request for some recommendations. I've never been a big fan of guitar solos actually but with Symphony X that changed, and i think one of their greatest aspects are their simply out of this world solos and solo battles. So i was wondering if you knew of any other good bands with good soloing? I don't want any jazzy instrumental bands that focus on soloing but just normal bands you know. Rage and Nevermore are two other bands whos solos i like almost as much as SX's but other than that i don't know of many bands with solos that really captivate me.

So I guess im looking for some something along the lines of technical and demanding soloing that is at the same time comprehendable and emotional. I also don't mind odd drawn out "solo sections" that have cool atmosphere (like in Rediscovery part2 towards the end, or in Egypt, Frontiers etc.).

..and yeah skip all the SX clone kind of bands (such as Time Requiem).

Thanx beforehand for any help.

OK here is a request for some recommendations. I've never been a big fan of guitar solos actually but with Symphony X that changed, and i think one of their greatest aspects are their simply out of this world solos and solo battles. So i was wondering if you knew of any other good bands with good soloing? I don't want any jazzy instrumental bands that focus on soloing but just normal bands you know. Rage and Nevermore are two nother bands whos solos i like almost as much as SX's but other than that i don't know of many bands with solos that really captivate me. I guess im looking for technical and demanding soloing that is at the same time comprehendable and emotional. I also don't mind odd drawn out "solo sections" that have cool atmosphere (like in Rediscovery part2 towards the end, or in Egypt).

..and yeah skip all the SX clone kind of bands too (such as Time Requiem).

Van Halen

OK here is a request for some recommendations. I've never been a big fan of guitar solos actually but with Symphony X that changed, and i think one of their greatest aspects are their simply out of this world solos and solo battles. So i was wondering if you knew of any other good bands with good soloing? I don't want any jazzy instrumental bands that focus on soloing but just normal bands you know. Rage and Nevermore are two other bands whos solos i like almost as much as SX's but other than that i don't know of many bands with solos that really captivate me.

So I guess im looking for some something along the lines of technical and demanding soloing that is at the same time comprehendable and emotional. I also don't mind odd drawn out "solo sections" that have cool atmosphere (like in Rediscovery part2 towards the end, or in Egypt, Frontiers etc.).

..and yeah skip all the SX clone kind of bands (such as Time Requiem).

Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Adagio, Vanden Plas.... dunno if you're into the proggy thing like that, but that's what sprang to mind when I read your post..... :)

JT Bruce is awesome. The Dreamer's Paradox presented a leap in both songwriting and production over Anomalous Material.

I'd like to see him get a band together including a vocalist though.

Hey J-Dub, yu can probably help best with this one...

I'm getting into Freak Kitchen, which of the albums would you recommend to get first? Probably the ones with the most crazy IA guitarwork...

Cheers!

Yo! Wise choice, grasshopper! :)

You will eventually get all of them, I can almost guarantee that. :heh:

Personally, my to buy list would look like this if I was in your situation:

1) Dead Soul Men
2) Spanking Hour
3) Move
4) Appetizer
5) Organic
6) S/T

For the record, and I'm sure it's obvious, I love everything they've put out. Organic took a while to grow on me, following the in your face nature of Move. I'm into the S/T one a lot for the somewhat dramatic change of pace from the first 2 cds. It really reminds me of Frank Zappa or Mike Keneally's Beer For Dolphins band. So the list above isn't a like/dislike thing, but a list of which cds have the craziest playing on them. If you don't get them locally, or from the Freak Store, I know of a couple places online that I will vouche for 110%, and that's www.harder-edged-music.com & www.impulsemusic.com EDIT: and www.guitar9.com
All ship internationally. Hope this helps, you will be assimilated! :headbang: