New Behemoth CD - "Demigod"

I used to like Satanica and Thelema 6, but Zos Kia Cultus was a step down. It was so obvious the band wanted to capitalize on the "middle-eastern" sound that Nile was doing at the time. Some riffs from ZKC could be mistaken for Nile.

Never did like Behemoth's black metal stuff.

J. said:
I used to like Satanica and Thelema 6, but Zos Kia Cultus was a step down. It was so obvious the band wanted to capitalize on the "middle-eastern" sound that Nile was doing at the time. Some riffs from ZKC could be mistaken for Nile.

I got more of a "We're trying to be Morbid Angel" vibe from it.

I would, but I sold ZKC. Just wasn't good enough for me. Y'all don't see/hear the middle eastern concept on ZKC? Look at some of the song titles, or even the cover.

J. said:
I would, but I sold ZKC. Just wasn't good enough for me. Y'all don't see/hear the middle eastern concept on ZKC? Look at some of the song titles, or even the cover.

Yup. There's quite a bit of usage of the harmonic minor scale and phrygian dominant on ZKC.

Life Sucks said:
But it sounds like good Morbid Angel, and not bad Morbid Angel. They definitely do blend in other elements though. They don't emulate Morbid Angel as badly as bands like Mithras do.

Yeah Mithras sound so much like Morbid Angel, what with all the synth-drenched ambient soundscapes and such. You'd have been better off using Hate Eternal as a point of comparison.

And for J., the cover does not evoke a Middle Eastern/Egyptian feel whatsoever, mainly because I know it's a Baphometic idol, and the song titles have nothing at all to do with the sound of the music, let alone Egypt. Some of the riffs might be Middle Eastern or whatever in nature, but Behemoth don't draw them out and develop them into plodding terribly generic GROOOH death metal with them, so I can applaud them for that.

Oceanic Motion said:
Hell yeah!!! 2nd best album of 2004 after 'Demigod', IMO. "Imminent Vision" is fuckin' savage.

Imminent Vision is goddamn brutal. A Swedish band that plays DEATH METAL!

V.V.V.V.V. said:
Yeah Mithras sound so much like Morbid Angel, what with all the synth-drenched ambient soundscapes and such. You'd have been better off using Hate Eternal as a point of comparison.

And for J., the cover does not evoke a Middle Eastern/Egyptian feel whatsoever, mainly because I know it's a Baphometic idol, and the song titles have nothing at all to do with the sound of the music, let alone Egypt. Some of the riffs might be Middle Eastern or whatever in nature, but Behemoth don't draw them out and develop them into plodding terribly generic GROOOH death metal with them, so I can applaud them for that.
Take away the keyboards, and the riffage is quite like Morbid Angel, especially on the first CD. Mithras are still a good band though.