new computer mainly for use as daw

Phoncible

Aug 27, 2006
Yeah, what would you recommend? It'll be a PC, i'll use my old hard-drives, video card and audio card for now, and i'm aiming for mid/high mid-range gear. I need something that can pull alot of plugs, is reasonably quiet, and can also be used for gaming :loco:

Depends how much money you'd like to spend lad, if you give some kind of budget i could suggest something

Thats kilkenny talk if i ever heard it LAD:heh::heh:

:lol:

It's true though, i've been building computers for years for clients, the whole process is easier if they specify what it's gonna be used for and what budget they have, then i can design the best system for the money!

Indeed! I've been putting together Crysis ready PC's lately which will of course breeze through audio for around £750 inc delivery if you're interested. Rough spec is 4GB ram, 8800gt, Quad core intel etc. Knock about 100 off that if you dont care about playing the latest cutting edge games.

ha ha actualy I just thought you were from kilkenny in ireland as every one finishes and starts their sentances with lad. Here is a genuine example:

"Yeah defo lad, knock a bit of craic out of it up there for a year, lad it looks like you are flat at today anyway , lad ill get back to ya on that so!! Bebo is handy for this kinda of stuff, lad" :lol::lol:

Well thats how we country men roll I guess ha any way enough shite from me back to the thread.

Well, a certain amount of dineros would get you different gear dependent on the price level in the country you live in, wouldn't it, lad? ;)

I'm not 100% sure how much i have to spend, but lets say 2000$. That would probably get you a pretty kick ass computer in i.e. the States, whereas in Norway (where i happen to live) it would provide a good, but not top notch thingy. Thats why i wrote mid/high midrange, i'm not aiming for the fastest newest hippest fattest most powerful gear, but looking for something above average.

Ì'm not very updated on the hardware front, so a suggested setup would be cool, but also looking for pro's/cons on different kinds of solutions; i.e. am i better of with a maxi or midi tower to keep it cool while still quiet? What Chipset is recommended? Is quad core or ddr3 worth it, or should i put my money elsewhere? Which kinds of models are better for the price?

Right now i'm looking at this setup, should give you an idea of what i'm aiming for. Pros/cons?

Cooler Master Stacker 830 Nvidia Edition
EVGA nForce 780i SLI
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
OCZ PC2-9200 FlexXLC 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)

not a single person who thinks this setup ROCKS or SUCKS or that i should CHANGE THE CABINET TO SPAWN OF POSSESSION BECAUSE IT GIVES BETTER AIR FLOW or sumthin? :zombie:

commodore_pet4032_1.jpg

I dont like to brag, but you might consider something like this. Saving your hard-earned, mind you.

Bumping this, as there was so GREAT response. Changed the setup quite a lot, and looks like this right now. Unless something comes up i'm ready to order this when i get the $$
cab: Antec Performance One P182
psu: Corsair HX 620W
mobo: Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP
cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
ram: Mushkin XP2-6400 (4096 MB)
new system disk: Western Digital Raptor 150 GB
a second one of these, setting up in raid 1 for audio files & photos: Samsung SpinPoint T166 500 GB SATA

And i'll stick with this for still a while:
EMU 1820 audio card
xfx geforce 7950gt video card