New Cyhra Album 2018-2019

I get the feeling "took part" meant he listened to some of Euge's stuff, maybe suggested a small change here or there, then went back to posting shit on Instagram...

I guess you're right. Though I guess that he mainly listened to Jake's stuff.

Euge is not good enough to take a lead role in the band. He just lacks what it takes.

I can remember hearing Euge's teasers on YouTube before the second album dropped and thinking the melodies sounded great. Unfortunately none of that really translated to the album - not in a complete package, anyway. There are some really nice sounding intros, melodic sections and a couple of solid solos too. Unfortunately almost every song is so boringly formulaic and uninspired that it really doesn't make a difference.

That's the thing. Euge seems to be able to do some cool riffs but he's too, as you said, formulaic. It doesn't seem to be anything special about his compositions.

Just listening to the first albums, his solos were... Just solos. Not something to be remembered. The best parts were always those melodic parts made by Jesper.

It's a shame Jesper doesn't really seem to be able to commit to anything nowadays. His talent for writing melodies is completely natural, but he just doesn't seem to be able to set his mind to anything since he dropped out of IF in 2011. Maybe that was the point where the addiction just fucked his brain over too much to fully recover from.

He seemed to be ok during the recording and touring of the first album.

But now, it doesn't seem as he's going to be able to do anything related to creativity. He says from time to time that he's working but, let's be realistic, at this point, he should yet have something finished if he is really focused on work.

Yeah, but that's what I mean. He can start a project (as he did with The Resistance) but can't stay committed to it. He's been talking about bringing Dimension Zero back for about 10 years now and still nothing...

Reactions: eochaid
Euge’s second solo album (just released) is a pretty good display of his technical breadth and abilities. Much more interesting than Cyhra, even if it does have a very heavy classic rock vibe to it.

Euge could be the leader, but he can’t be, because Jake is already. But Jake is not a metal musician and doesn’t care about cool guitar riffs, he just wants something to sing to so he can look cool. If Jake quit then Euge would step up and Cyhra would be a much better band.

Maybe, but at the end of the day my interest in Cyhra stems from Jesper's involvement. No offence to Euge as I'm sure he's a great musician in his own right, but Jesper needs to have an influence for Cyhra to be interesting to me. If not then they are basically just another generic metal band - which is more or less what they became with No Halos in Hell. All the quirky charm and uniqueness of the first album vanished into something really mundane. Technically sound, but boring.

Reactions: eochaid
If Jake quits, and Jesper quits, then is no more Cyhra since this is their project. And, the first album is still good.

Euge has techniques but his music is boring. Mundane. Tasteless. Generic. Jesper is the one making the magic and Jake just needs someone to stop him from repeating himself.

Reactions: DE4life
It seems like Euge and Jake started writing new material. Those aren't good news for a specific reason.

Hopefully at some point Jesper gets more involved. I don't want another Jake/Euge creation.

Message from Cyhra on Facebook:

Hi all,

Sadly, due to the pandemic we have recently had all of our 2021 touring plans either postponed into 2022 and 2023, or completely canceled altogether. Unfortunately, this has left us in a terrible position financially, and we are now unable to perform these 2 scheduled one-off shows for our friends in Norway.

05.11 Ørlandet Rock Fest
06.11 Jevnaker - Glassheim Rock & Kulturscene

As many of you know, most of the band members now live in different countries, and at this point we haven’t all been in the same room together in nearly 2 years. We want to see you all again, and to bring you the best possible and most professional show we can. Sadly however, this just isn’t possible at this time.

We hope that you can all understand the terrible situation that we find ourselves in. We look forward to seeing everyone once things get back to some sort of normal and touring starts up again full time. We can’t wait to see you all!

~ CYHRA

Hopefully he's doing alright. I'm not sure how much input he has into Cyhra these days, regardless of how Jake keeps saying he's involved.

Separate to the discussion on the IF thread, but I wonder if the announcement of The Halo Effect spells the end of Jesper and Cyhra? Jake has always tried to maintain that Jesper is still part of the band, but he hasn't toured with them for a really long time and No Halos in Hell seemed to have very little Jesper influence. Jake basically admitted to writing the whole album himself. If Jesper didn't even have time to contribute properly to Cyhra before, it seems even less likely now. At best he'd be more like a guest who contributes a solo or a few riffs here and there.

This will depend on just one thing. If, after the first album, Jesper has lost its interest in the band. Yes, for obvious reasons, he was not a part of the second album. So that doesn't serve as a reference.

He was involved in the second album at some level though, as he's credited on some of the songs.

I'm not sure if he's lost interest, or whether he just doesn't feel like he can cope with the pressure of touring. Cyhra started off as a project but quickly became more of a normal band with a touring schedule. I don't think Jesper can handle that anymore and might be why he took a step back. I think it'd be better for Jesper and Cyhra to officially part ways if Jake wants to go further with it, as I don't think Jesper will ever be able to commit to being anything more than a studio musician.