New Daath

flytrapx

Jan 8, 2007
The Daath album is killing but after listening to it a few times I am digging James' mix on Festival Mass Soulform than Colin's mix. Don't get me wrong I'm a big CR fan but it seems James had the keyboards louder in the mix and it gave it a much more ethereal sound that complements the song. Am I crazy?
The album as a whole is just amazing and sounds so creative and original. Also, James' solo on Who will take the blame is f'ing smoking:headbang:

The Daath album is killing but after listening to it a few times I am digging James' mix on Festival Mass Soulform than Colin's mix. Don't get me wrong I'm a big CR fan but it seems James had the keyboards louder in the mix and it gave it a much more ethereal sound that complements the song. Am I crazy?
The album as a whole is just amazing and sounds so creative and original. Also, James' solo on Who will take the blame is f'ing smoking:headbang:

I agree to the above

yeah I'm not sure which version I like more...to me, James' mix is definitely way more beefy, but its not as clear as it could be and its feels a little too compressed. Colin's mix is clear as fuck and the drums sound better...but the keyboards and guitars (sorry Andy) aren't as sweet as James'...both are amazing mixes though.

yeah I'm not sure which version I like more...to me, James' mix is definitely way more beefy, but its not as clear as it could be and its feels a little too compressed. Colin's mix is clear as fuck and the drums sound better...but the keyboards and guitars (sorry Andy) aren't as sweet as James'...both are amazing mixes though.

Yeah, Colin's mixes are always super tight and clear, with every instrument in it's own space, but the james mix seems to capture what the band is about just a tad better. That raises a good question, does being the producer and working with the band through the whole pre-production process make you a better fit for mixing the record because you've become so close and familiar with it?

I just saw them on MTV, never heard their music before, sounded quite fresh and original. So what's the story behind the Colin and James mix?

Colin mixed the roadrunner released album and James Murphy, who produced the album, did a rough mix of the album that leaked on the 'net a few months ago.