New Dream Theater album available to stream!!

I really like this album. Wouldn't say I love it after only one listen, but I was very very impressed with this. Illumination Theory can stand toe-to-toe with their other best epics. Whether they listened to the fans or not, they reeled it in and restrained their playing a bit (though it's still obviously Dream Theater and as such still has wanking)... couldn't ask for more. Great album, especially this far in their career.

Ive heard only illumination theory and the bigger picture, both sounds awesome. Somewhat uninteresting musical direction and lyrics but still an album I cant miss. I'll listen to the entire album soon and give a full opinion.

I can't believe I haven't checked this out yet, will listen to it later or tomorrow, when I have the time. Where did you get the signed edition? Is it still available?

I got it from recordstore.co.uk. Not sure if it's still available, hope so!

Edit - Just checked and they only have the autographed double vinyl available.

I really really dig this album but there are a few things in particular I love about it. Jordan's solos in Enigma Machine for one. Listen to that part from 3:10 to 3:20. That is one of the COOLEST keyboard solos I've ever heard! Listen to that wailing banshee synth voice! :kickass: The fifth movement to Illumination Theory is really epic, too... Love hearing Myung in the mix. Something about James's voice is weird though, the mix and production on the vocals make him sound almost robotic and echo-y at times. Why does he sound so great on his solo albums but not in DT?

That's an iPad solo! He recorded it using Geosynth, sort of a combination between a guitar and a keyboard. It's a great app if you're interested in making music with your phone or tablet. I can also recommend his other music creation apps, Morphwiz and Samplewiz. Both loadsa fun!

Oh wow, I thought it was just a synth lead on the Kronos. I have Morphwiz but Geosynth I've never even heard of. I have to get this!

It's really hard to say what I think of this album after just a few listenings. The overall reaction is positive, and I will definitely listen to it more. It felt like half of the songs were the typical DT sound and really stuck on my mind after the first listen. But the rest of the songs felt a bit like ADTOE, which I liked at first but quite quickly became boring to me. And I think the same goes for the vocals on this album. On about half of the songs Labrie sounds really good and fits the music, while on the rest he sounds quite weak. There's a big possibility I'll change my mind after I've heard it some more though.

And too bad the signed version is sold out. Will probably get the normal version then, but might just wait until it will drop in price.

It's really taking several listens for this album to sink in. I've had to choose song by song which one I want to focus on, which is weird, because I haven't had to do this practice before. Weird. And I agree, LaBrie is sometimes blowing my mind and other times disappointing me or making me feel embarrassed (some of the screams on Illumination Theory...).

I also heard the HD Tracks version of the album has better mastering (I've seen pictures of the waveform compared to the CD) and I'm kind of annoyed that the HD Tracks version wasn't promoted as well. Ugh. I can hear the brickwalling so plainly. It's as bad as ADTOE. I'm no audiophile but I want it to sound great, dammit! :\

Right now I'm really enjoying Surrender to Reason. Don't like the title (sounds a little esoteric to me) but the music within is so good. Sounds like an updated version of classic DT, love the choir patches and all that!

It's really taking several listens for this album to sink in. I've had to choose song by song which one I want to focus on, which is weird, because I haven't had to do this practice before. Weird.

Yes the same here. Dream Theater is probably the only band where I have to listen to songs and focus on them one by one to "get them". But never this way. Weird indeed.

And I agree, LaBrie is sometimes blowing my mind and other times disappointing me or making me feel embarrassed (some of the screams on Illumination Theory...).

And this! I try enjoy the songs, but every few seconds I get to a part where I just get annoyed with the vocals. It feels like I can't enjoy the music itself sometimes because I put too much focus on this:(.

I haven't noticed any negatives with regards to the vocals. I really like the album so far, it's probably in my DT top 3, definitely top 5.

It's a question of personal preference I suppose. Maybe it'll take more listens before I can get used to the vocals and appreciate them more. But those sound you two mentioned, Jordan's keyboard and Ipad sound great! I've most of the time been arguing against the use of non instrumental made music, but I can't deny, it sounds great!

Hey, sorry for the bump. Just wanted to say I heard this album a couple times by now and I must say its amazing. Especially illumination theory

Its like Octavarium but somehow even better

Love this album but I just cannot deal with the production. I'm no audiophile but it's so hard to listen to this and A Dramatic Turn of Events because it sounds both too loud yet muffled at the same time! I love the songwriting though. They're apparently playing 6 of its 9 tracks on tour now, which is awesome. Illumination Theory, too!!

Love this album but I just cannot deal with the production. I'm no audiophile but it's so hard to listen to this and A Dramatic Turn of Events because it sounds both too loud yet muffled at the same time! I love the songwriting though. They're apparently playing 6 of its 9 tracks on tour now, which is awesome. Illumination Theory, too!!
I also noticed something flawed about the production. For example, the instruments overwhelm the vocals and then Labrie's vocals sound somewhat unclear and distant on the album. Same case with A dramatic turn of events. Or maybe its just my ears...

While I really like DT, the my problem with the album is that all the songs sound like remakes of their other songs.

Enigma Machine sounds like Erotomania
The Enemy Inside- something from Systematic Chaos
The Bigger Picture- Something from I&W
etc...

Though MUCH better than Black Clouds, Systematic Chaos, and Train of Thought..

While I really like DT, the my problem with the album is that all the songs sound like remakes of their other songs.

Enigma Machine sounds like Erotomania
The Enemy Inside- something from Systematic Chaos
The Bigger Picture- Something from I&W
etc...

Though MUCH better than Black Clouds, Systematic Chaos, and Train of Thought..
Yeah, their musical direction doesnt change much in every album. I find that a good thing though, because it means each album is consistent and equally good. I really love Dream Theater.....they remain my favorite prog metal band :)