New Dream Theater album available to stream!!

Yeah, their musical direction doesnt change much in every album. I find that a good thing though, because it means each album is consistent and equally good. I really love Dream Theater.....they remain my favorite prog metal band :)

I agree and disagree, I find that their worst stuff all came out in the last ten years apart from their last two albums and Octavarium. So they should try to avoid sounding like Systematic chaos and, well, you know...

DT needs to avoid going heavier. Remember Awake and Images and Words? More progressive than heavy and those are their best.

^ Agreed. I think their albums since Systematic have generally stayed in similar realms to one another, but between their debut and Octavarium, each album has a really unique sound, in my opinion.

To me all of their albums have a unique sound, not just between the debut and Octavarium. But you really cant compare Images and Words to....Systematic Chaos, for example. Two different realms really....Images and Words is a masterpiece, while Systematic Chaos is somewhat less memorable and original, I think. That doesnt make it bad, though. Its still very good. But if I had to pick my least favorite DT album, it'd definitely be that one

Now that the album has aged a little, I'd rate it just a bit lower than ADTOE. Some fantastic songs on there but I find Enigma Machine ruins the flow. Definitely their least memorable instrumental. I'm not too fond of Behind the Veil either.

On the plus side, The Bigger Picture is one or their best tracks ever. I just wish it had a proper Petrucci solo. FAS is three minutes of pure epicness, Looking Glass is amazing and IT has some great moments (especially the finale).

Now that the album has aged a little, I'd rate it just a bit lower than ADTOE. Some fantastic songs on there but I find Enigma Machine ruins the flow. Definitely their least memorable instrumental. I'm not too fond of Behind the Veil either.

On the plus side, The Bigger Picture is one or their best tracks ever. I just wish it had a proper Petrucci solo. FAS is three minutes of pure epicness, Looking Glass is amazing and IT has some great moments (especially the finale).
Hey Matt, do you agree that Systematic Chaos is a relatively weak album?

About this Self titled one. I'd say Illumination Theory is the best one on there. The rest are nice as well. After a few more listens its like this album sounds repetitive like the previous ones. Gotta admit little has changed about DT's musical direction. A blessing and a curse at the same time, I guess. Takes alot more than this to blow me away, but I'm still amazed

I'd say that Systematic Chaos is one of my least favourite Dream Theater albums. I'm absolutely fine with the band sticking to what they do best. I hate it when bands turn away from what made them great in the first place. Case in point, Edguy, Sonata Arctica (personally speaking) etc.

Personally, I'm all for their mausical direction. The self titled is still a little poppy for my tastes, but it beats the crap out of ToT and Systematic Chaos.