new Dream Theater single "On Backs Of Angels"

Mar 29, 2010
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oasnbzEMV08&feature=share[/ame]

what do you think guys??

this is not a hoax - officially released in Roadrunner Records Youtube Page

I actually think it's better than most of their music since Octavarium. Has a mystical Count of Tuscany vibe to it at times, and it's sure as hell better than A Rite of Passage or Wither, in my opinion. The vocals aren't as catchy as I was hoping they'd be but that doesn't mean they're bad. Really like what the keyboards are doing.

Absolutely psyched for this album, I really dig this tune.

there are still 7 songs in the album - cant wait for the epics and fast paced ones and IMO i want to Mike Mangini to shine more and give it his flair on the songs

Finally given it a listen. It's not too bad, not great but certainly not rubbish. To be honest though I've been bored of most of Dream Theater's stuff for a long time though. I still think Images & Words is one of the best albums ever, but that's about as far as my enthusiasm for them goes at the moment.

Finally given it a listen. It's not too bad, not great but certainly not rubbish. To be honest though I've been bored of most of Dream Theater's stuff for a long time though. I still think Images & Words is one of the best albums ever, but that's about as far as my enthusiasm for them goes at the moment.
It's like you took a notepad into my head!

Actually, I quite like the last album and Systematic Chaos, I found they warranted at least a few repeat listens, but it's most of the other stuff post Images & Words that I don't find too interesting and would go as far as to describe some of it as grossly over-rated.

For example, Metropolis Pt. 2 seems to be one of their most popular albums and yet, after multiple listens, I still think it's one of their worst albums!

Admittedly, said listens were a few years ago now but I can hardly imagine myself putting on the album right now and suddenly loving it! It's nothing against Prog Rock/Metal I have either, as I like plenty of Music in those genres.

I cannot stand Systematic Chaos, it really doesnt do anything for me. I think Metropolis part 2 (especially the live DVD version) is one of the best albums I've ever heard. I also love the Six Degrees 42 minute song, again the live version with the full orchestra is breathtaking. Octovarium is pretty good, Black Clouds even better and the rest of the back catalogue Im not too bothered about.

So am I the only long-time Dream Theater fan that actually likes BCaSL?

BC&SL has some of my favorite and least favorite DT moments, actually. I can't stand listening to A Rite of Passage or Wither so I almost always skip them every time the CD is in my car. They're just... bad by Dream Theater standards. I also don't like Portnoy's backup singing in A Nightmare to Remember - I really don't like that DT has tried to be this pseudo-br00tal metal group over the past couple of albums. However, that said, The Shattered Fortress contains one of Petrucci's best solos ever, The Best of Times is a beautiful work of art with Petrucci's #1 solo ever, and The Count of Tuscany is a song I'd love to hear more of in the future.

I actually enjoyed the DT-Metal sections but ONLY when used as a contrast to a softer part in the same song. Albums such as Train of Thought I didnt really enjoy as there was no real hook to much of the music.