new drum triggering plug in

from what i understand vst is the type of plug-in, i.e. used by cubase and logic and others. Just like DirectX plug-ins are used by Sonar, and I asume Pro Tools (and PTLE) uses the RTAS format.
The wrapper is a translator/converter allowing you to use plug-ins not normally for your DAW. I.e. you could use the VST plug-in with Pro Tools if you use the wrapper.

Marty
Devilmakesthree
www.devilmakesthree.net :headbang:

yeah, you can't run VST plug ins on Pro Tools, what this does is "disguises" the VST plug in as an RTAS so it'll work. I think it will work with 5.3.1,but just double check on their site, it is absolutely brilliant though.

Wrapper is on the bottom link on my first post

I'm running drumagog right now (works near perfectly for me). Observing the apTrigga panel I really don't see many differences....I'll check out the demo later though...

Checked the demo last night, it's pretty neat.
Doesn't eat much RAM though. And the price is alright.
Drumagog has more features but most of the time you don't need them.
Also I couldn't listen to it on a decent level 'cause the 'bzzzz' which appear in the
demo version drives me nuts, this thingy is a lot of bang for the buck.

if you've got drumagog then great, but for us poor pro tools users this has been a long time coming. I was telling Rim at drumagog over a year ago to get on it. I'm sure he has been trying his best, but this works great for me.

... and there's lots of good plugs that aren't available for VST (and PC) :-(

I cannot run Drumagog at home because my box here is way too old but I ran can
the apTrigger on kick and snare at once on it with enough headroom for more stuff.
That's very nice and makes me happy.
New toy here I come ;-)

Cool, I'll check it out. Andy, do you usually have to bump the trigger track forward a few MS to get it to play in phase with the recorded snare, or does it work fine as is?
Also, do you send both the sample and the recorded snare to a reverb, or only one, or what?

Thanks,

Hey people, back on the net after a few monthes of wandering... ;)

I tried apTrigga, it's pretty good, better in my opinion than Drumagog which is really not very tight (even after tweaking finely of course...). But honestly I prefer to get a midi signal out of the kick or snare so I can send it to a Battery module with samples and stuff, I think this is much more reliable as you can correct wrong notes more easily and you can even change the velocities of the whole thing, even add some filters (like changing the pitch very very slightly, etc)... So I'm using KTDrumTrigger which is the tighest of the triggers I've tried (JTrig is always impressively tight but the UI is awful and you have no visual help, just values... very hard to get it right...). It's VST, supports velocity, can trig 3 signals at a time (...) and guess what, it's free ! Check this out : http://www.koen.smartelectronix.com/KTDrumTrigger

See you soon now I hope...

Brett

Barth said:
Brett, I'm wondering, How do you get a midi signal out of the real sounds?
You need to convert audio to midi!

Barth
This is what the plug in does. Check out the URL Brett posted, this really looks like a cool way to get MIDI drum tracks from your audio. Would make it possible to quantize your drum tracks and send them to Battery, LM-4, etc..

Btw. does anyone knows if there exists something like Pro-Tool's Beat Detective for PC?
I need some way to quantize audio drum tracks.

I don't really see the point in quantizing a drum track... It would be much easier (avoid a lot of pain) to program the drums directly on a sequencer in midi if you don't want to keep the humanity of the drummer's playing... I'd rather use the midi trigger to mix the real elements of the recorded drumkit with samples, and use it also to open noise gates (reminds me of a famous producer... ;-).