Waves GTR Plug-in Demo thoughts

Kazrog

Kazrog, Inc.
Mar 6, 2002
California
kazrog.com
I have sworn by Waves plug-ins for a long time. They are a great company, and their plug-ins are well worth the big price tag. A lot of hype is surrounding their new Waves GTR plug-in, apparently it's the "hot new thing" in the LA studios, and the "best amp modeler ever," so I was really curious and excited to try it.

First, the rig: I used my tried-and-true workhorse guitar, the ESP LTD MH 400 NT with EMG 85 (bridge) and EMG 81 (neck) pickups. I used the Native Instruments Guitar Rig DI footboard unit straight into the Analog input of my MBox.

Setup: I downloaded the demo tonight and got it registered on my iLok (silly that I should have to do this for a DEMO) and voila, some new plug-ins to play with. Variations on the Amp and Pedal plugins exist for mono/stereo, number of pedals per plug-in instance (2, 4, or 6) and number of cabinets (1 or 2.) Generally speaking, the Amp plugin with 2 cabs in mono sounded the "least worst," to paraphrase Type O Negative. Waves also threw in a very cool Tuner, which I have to say is the best software tuner I've ever used!

The UI design for the plug-ins is top notch, exactly what we've come to expect from Waves. Everything looks really cool, and is easy to use, with nice preset menus, A--B, undo-redo, and the other usual Waves niceties. But how does it sound?

As most of us here would do, I put this thing to the test for a METAL sound first and foremost. I tried lots of different approaches, varying amps, pedals, cabinets, mics, EQ settings, etc., and everything I came up with sounded brittle, digital, and grating. I've not heard high gain amp simulation that is this amazingly unusable before, it's like some kind of sick joke!

Low fast palm muting sounds weak and unconvincing, pinch harmonics are incredibly piercing, and seem louder than everything else in a very phony, disorienting way (the amp Drive is apparently auto-normalized... ouch.) The EQ knobs on the face of the virtual amp models are voiced so strangely that I wonder if they ever tested them with an actual guitar. The Bass and Mid knobs make your guitar woof like a nauseated dog. The Treble and Presence knobs, once dialled even slightly past 12 noon, begin to rip your head off with insane amounts of high pitched white noise, even when you're not playing, and your Drive is turned up less than halfway.

I found myself laughing quite a bit when I wasn't feeling frustrated. However, the Gate pedal does a decent job of shutting this thing up intelligently and transparently, so at least you can "make it stop." And believe me, you'll want to!

For more "in between" type sounds, it sounded fairly decent. Like one of those palmtop Zoom units. Not stellar, but not nearly as bad as the hi gain amps. I would still never use it on anything resembling a final recording, though.

For clean tones, I found myself liking GTR quite a bit, especially when I used their Doubler pedal (kind of a subtle phaser) in front of the Clean amp. Shimmering, full-bodied clean tones, I was really impressed. However, the Delay pedal sounds wacky and excessive, as does the Chorus pedal, no matter how they're dialled, so it's pretty limited mileage in terms of variations of usable clean tones. And as good as GTR sounds clean, both NI Guitar Rig and POD XT sound at least as good (if not better!), and they have a lot more usable (and even amazing!) effects to choose from, particularly in the Delay/Chorus/Mod department.

The presets: Just to see if I hadn't explored the right options in dialing up tones, I tried out all the preset sounds that come with GTR. The hi gain settings have cheesy leetspeak names like "GoTh1k" and "nU," which sound even more hilariously awful than anything I came up with on my own. All the hi gain presets are variations on the same theme: mid-scooped sounds that have more bass than anything else. Woof woof!!!! I seriously don't get what the fuck they were thinking, all the money Waves has made selling plug-ins must be supporting some serious crack habits.

The verdict: save your money. POD XT is the champ overall, NI Guitar Rig sounds great for anything except metal, Amplitube and Amp Farm both sounded terrible to me until I heard Waves GTR, which has to be the worst amp modeler I've ever heard. I've tried to be fair but it's just a ridiculously sucky product. Of course, nothing sounds as good as a real amp miked up, but this comes nowhere even close.

I can't imagine their overhyped Waves/PRS DI box would make any significant tonal difference, either. I can tell that the audio coming through my existing DI is a good sounding signal at the right level, and that it is the GTR amp modeling itself that is introducing the suck.

The question in my mind is, how did this product ever make it to market? It's $600 Native and a whopping $1200 TDM. They sell it as "The Professional Choice." If people start using this on major records, get ready for the worst recorded guitar sounds you've ever heard. With all the producers in LA raving about it, I'm sure it's destined to happen.

If you guys want clips, I'll post them here.

Kazrog said:
I have sworn by Waves plug-ins for a long time. They are a great company, and their plug-ins are well worth the big price tag. .....

Good review Shane, if you have clips post it, I really want to hear how does it sound.
talking about the price: 600$ for something that podxt (here 350 euros) could do better is really something that leaves me upset, bah what are they thinking??? who do they think they're fooling?

Maurizio

Alright here's a few clips, forgive the sloppy playing, it's late and I'm tired:

Heavy riff with the best metal sound I could come up with, double tracked:
http://www.shanemcfee.com/wavesgtr/Kazrog_Waves_GTR_Heavy.mp3

The same heavy riff, run through the GoTh1k preset for humor value:
http://www.shanemcfee.com/wavesgtr/Kazrog_Waves_GTR_Heavy_Gothik.mp3

Opeth riff using the Clean amp, I really dig the sound of it:
http://www.shanemcfee.com/wavesgtr/Kazrog_Waves_GTR_Opeth.mp3

BACKMASK riff using the Clean amp + doubler pedal, this also pleases me:
http://www.shanemcfee.com/wavesgtr/Kazrog_Waves_GTR_Backmask.mp3

Perhaps I was a bit brutal in my review. But I don't think this plug-in is worth the cost, when you consider what else is out there!

Got about 3 secs into the first clip, thought: *Re-valver*(which I was messing around with 3 or so years ago) .. no thanks.

It's kinda weird that such a company would release rubbish. wtf?

Sounds interesting.... At creating wierd plastic sounds... Looking foward to hear amplitube 2 even tough I do not expect much from any amp simulation as I said before.
The only amp sim I found to be usable in a metal context was the dawn noisy steinberg warp + antares mic modeler (sm57--->Royer 121 or coles something). Sounds ok with a down tuned guitar... And I know that a lot of people just hate it.

All of those samples just sound plastic and totally unfriendly to my ears. Thanks a lot for that in-depth review Kazrog, I will make sure to stay WELL away from this modeller. There's another hope shattered. 'spose it's back to saving up for a half stack and decent recording chain....

Excellent review. I've heard many conflicting reports about GTR's high-gain abilities, but not one from someone who actually knows a thing or two about metal until now. That first clip just sounds terrible- like a cheap transistor radio that also happens to be on fire- and if that's the best heavy sound that you can get, then there's definitely no hope for this thing. Thanks again, especially for the clips, which add quite a bit of insight to your review.
I guess Amplitube 2 is the last hope for a convincing metal tone in software. Or maybe this thing. For now, Guitar Rig > UAD Pultec EQ (with a significant dip at 8kHz) > UAD Fairchild 670 Compressor is serving me well.

i'm listening to the stuff as i'm typing this, fyi.

you know what that first clip reminds me of? a marshall valvestate 8100 head :D no, seriously, thats pretty much the same raspy harsh brittle top end....except the bass on the marshall is tighter...so this is actually worse...but not much.
the gothic....oops, sorry, goth1k clip...actually sounds like it has potential. tame the loose ass lows and add a bit brightness, and it could sound usable. beat me, but i like it better than the first clip. at least it doesn't rip your head off.
the clean stuff...the opeth riff is tinny sounding. and anything but natural.
the second riff (sounds kinda nevermore/opeth-ish to me, btw) seems to be usable. the fx seem to make the difference here.

come on, please, tell me again. how much $$ do they want to have for this thing?? 600?? gotta be kidding, really...just plug your guitar into a boss mt2 straight into the line in on your soundcard and hit record....same sound.

Well, we all know that Shane knows what good tone is...and if THIS is all he can get out of the Waves plugin... I can trust that it sucks. Great review!

Yah... Those are quite the .. undesirable tones there. In a pinch, I dont think Amplitube is completely awful, but none of 'em are up to snuff IMO. Not yet at least. Maybe in the year 2010 some company will finally nail the whole modeling/software guitar tone thing... Even it they did, I would still never use them. As the saying goes, "if it does not fit, you must acquit"... or "if there is no tube, get out the lube".

Did anyone watch that video on the Waves site? The producer/engineer is sitting there switching the different tones, starting with the "clean stuff".When he gets to the mild overdrive or semi-crunchy tone.........jeezus! does that sound awful! I think I'm gonna email that dude a link to Andy's site.......he needs some pointers on geetar tone!

Fragle said:
the gothic....oops, sorry, goth1k clip...actually sounds like it has potential. tame the loose ass lows and add a bit brightness, and it could sound usable. beat me, but i like it better than the first clip. at least it doesn't rip your head off.

I agree, but when you do as described, you'll end up with what you're hearing in the first clip! It's a vicious cycle! I didn't use any other plugins in this test. Maybe with some extreme use of a nice EQ plug-in, I could make this thing sound semi-usable, but for more money than a POD XT costs, I can't justify going to such silly lengths. If it was a FREE plug-in, sure. You'd have to do some pretty crazy EQ plug-in settings to make this thing speak in the right ranges, and by doing this you'd likely get even more weird noise.

Fragle said:
the clean stuff...the opeth riff is tinny sounding. and anything but natural.
the second riff (sounds kinda nevermore/opeth-ish to me, btw) seems to be usable. the fx seem to make the difference here.

I agree, though I tend to like fake, tinny clean tones. I could have dialled in a lot more lows, and they do actually sound good on the Clean amp, no woofing going on. The FX on the second clean clip are the only difference. That riff is from my song "Feed The Enemy," incidentally.

YOU CANT DIGITALLY REMODEL A TUBE !!!!!!!!!

Ok that being said. Those clips do suck balls. I find it amazing how BAD they are. My X V-Vamp sounds 1000000 times better and i oly paid 65 bucks for it ...lol

As far as the Pod XT. a buddy of mine has one and i didnt like it. I really didnt mess with it and tweak it all that much but what i heard i didnt like much.

Is the pod Xt really the best modeler you guys have found for highgain sounds?

What do you guys think of the V-Amp ?

Da Fukn Guru

Guru, the PodXT is actually a really great tool to have...but really only if you have the model pack(s). Without the model packs, there's very few things you can do with it without it sounding like crap. Mostly just cleans and lightly distorted tones. With the model packs and a skill for mixing, you can get some reallllllllly great tones out of it. Nothing that makes you do a backflip, but tones that are very useable for even serious stuff. I say that because I will always prefer a real rig over anything else, so I'm sort-of biased, lol. Seriously though, the XT when used properly and mixed properly can give you some killer sounds.

I'm just like Shane or Andy, I would always rather mic up a cab that has an all tube head attached to the top of it, but whaddya gonna do? :) Honestly though, that plug sounds horrid and I really hope the owner of the studio I work at doesn't buy it. He has EVERYTHING Waves, and is a huge supporter of their plugs, rightfully...just not this one I hope. Heh.

Moving back to the PodXT, I have tweaked it and tweaked it to the point where I can use it for live shows instead of my Engl rig. Simply because I have gotten one of my patches nearly dead on. Only difference is I have to use the U87 condensor mic model on the preset instead of my normal SM57 like I would live/in the studio on the cab and it sounds really close. Now I have a very light weight half-stack instead of almost 200lbs of the "same" thing, lol. Now I just use my real rig for the shows that deserve it. For the random bs shows we do all the time, I just throw my XT in a bag and voila. We used Amplitube for about 10 minutes on one of our first albums, and we quickly opted for the mic on my cab. Guitar Rig is right there with Amplitube in my book, Amp Farm has a few decent tones to my ears, but nothing I would really use. The way I see it, right now I'd have to say that it's a toss-up between mic'ing a real rig or using the PodXT with model packs.

Besides, when you compare the cost/quality ratio with the PodXT+packs to Amplitube/NI Guitar Rig/Amp Farm/Waves GTR....Line6 wins. Anyway, Shane GREAT review man, I am one person that can really appreciate this contribution to the community. :)

~006

006 said:
Guru, the PodXT is actually a really great tool to have...but really only if you have the model pack(s). Without the model packs, there's very few things you can do with it without it sounding like crap. Mostly just cleans and lightly distorted tones. With the model packs and a skill for mixing, you can get some reallllllllly great tones out of it. Nothing that makes you do a backflip, but tones that are very useable for even serious stuff. I say that because I will always prefer a real rig over anything else, so I'm sort-of biased, lol. Seriously though, the XT when used properly and mixed properly can give you some killer sounds.

I'm just like Shane or Andy, I would always rather mic up a cab that has an all tube head attached to the top of it, but whaddya gonna do? :) Honestly though, that plug sounds horrid and I really hope the owner of the studio I work at doesn't buy it. He has EVERYTHING Waves, and is a huge supporter of their plugs, rightfully...just not this one I hope. Heh.

Moving back to the PodXT, I have tweaked it and tweaked it to the point where I can use it for live shows instead of my Engl rig. Simply because I have gotten one of my patches nearly dead on. Only difference is I have to use the U87 condensor mic model on the preset instead of my normal SM57 like I would live/in the studio on the cab and it sounds really close. Now I have a very light weight half-stack instead of almost 200lbs of the "same" thing, lol. Now I just use my real rig for the shows that deserve it. For the random bs shows we do all the time, I just throw my XT in a bag and voila. We used Amplitube for about 10 minutes on one of our first albums, and we quickly opted for the mic on my cab. Guitar Rig is right there with Amplitube in my book, Amp Farm has a few decent tones to my ears, but nothing I would really use. The way I see it, right now I'd have to say that it's a toss-up between mic'ing a real rig or using the PodXT with model packs.

Besides, when you compare the cost/quality ratio with the PodXT+packs to Amplitube/NI Guitar Rig/Amp Farm/Waves GTR....Line6 wins. Anyway, Shane GREAT review man, I am one person that can really appreciate this contribution to the community. :)

~006

I'm starting to play with my PODxt when jamming with my band. It sounds like crap but for shows damn would it be nice to not have to bring cabs etc...anyway, here's a question for you (or anyone else using pod live): do you tweek your settings at all once you are at the venue? Or do you just leave them and let the sound guy deal with it?