waves plug ins any good?

Apr 18, 2006
Do you consider the waves plug ins to be of good quality?good meaning as good or better than outboard gear based around £300?just want to know whether i should get a set.
which do you consider the best compressor in the lot for the sound?not necessarily clean sounding but good compressor type sound!
cheers

Waves are industry standard. not the be-all, end-all, but a good bunch of tools. many waves plug-ins are indispensable to me. with waves platinum bundle alone you should be able to get any mixing job done.

check the Voxengo compressors... equally as good as any Waves compressor. in the Compressing and EQ department Waves does not hold much over Voxengo except for maybe the C4... but then there's Soniformer. the Voxengo plugs are VST only.

Compressors
MarquisComp
Crunchessor

Limiters
Elephant
Ploysquasher

for a shit load of colour
Vintage Warmer

It's a great bundle. It has most of the tools you need to mix a project. In recent times though I'm preffering the sound of other plug-ins. I mainly use the Waves pack for the RComp, C4 and the C1 gate (when I can't be assed cutting manually) hehe.

Also I love the interface of their EQ. It's so versatile yet so very simple, I love the fact that it imposes no boundaries upon you.

I got it for my le setup. I've always used the renaissance eq's and liked them. I have to get used to the Rcomp though..It has very wide attack/release settings, plus a threshold setting....I've really only used compressers like 1176's with less settings to mess with, yea I'm very untrained. I think waves is a damn good bundle though.

id say theyre good but not the be all and end all of plug ins, the reverb sucks, but everything else is alright