New drums room - new snare sample!

Jul 20, 2009
www.myspace.com
Hi! I've just finished rebuilding my new room for recording. Sounds killer! I still need a couple of absorbers and bass traps here and there but you can already see the picture of what's going on soundwise. I used natural stone and wood materials to give more life and character to the sound. Here is the sample. It is single shot with a little processing on it, just a touch of EQ and standart compression. You will probably still need to tweak it to fit your needs. And it is not perfectly trimmed yet so cut it right at the transient.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6564739/Blacklight_TamaMW_Newroom.wav

Tell me if you like it and I will upload some more hits. And if you have an interest to compare how much influence on the sound can the room actualy have, you can find my topic with snare samples recorded in the old room somewhere in this forum. This is exactly the same snare drum (Tama metal works), mic (sm57) and recording chain (RME octamic D-> Digi 003 Rack).

Glad that you also liked it! I don't have much time to through all the multis out now. It was actualy just a quick test recording. Here is the link for the whole file. You can grab snares out of there. There are also some toms but they are not played as single hits unfortunately, I was just testing the room. You can grab some kicks though if you like them.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6564739/newroom.wav
I am realy excited by the room sound now. It has something similar to slate's NRG room to my ears. On this example the room mics are -30db compared to the close ones! And when the room will be 100% finished I am planning to sample up the entire kits. There will be gretsch new classic kit (that is the kit on this particular recording), tama star classic maple kit, DW collectors kit and 80's Premier (Iron maiden style) kit if I will have luck to negotiate it with the owner. And a bunch of different snare drums, maybe 6 or 7. With several velocity layers and lots of samples per layer. I will do it as kontakt library and structure for pro tools. So wait for some hot news soon!

PS: Here is the link for exctly the same snare drum but recorded in a totaly dead damped room. Just for you to hear the difference.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6564739/SD_oldroom.wav

I do not have any multi samples right now, it was just a quick rough test recording to hear the room, which is not 100% finished at the moment, as I said. Drum heads are pretty damn old evans genera. Any way, the results are imressive even now. I will install all the bass traps and absorbers here and there in a week. After that I am giong to perfectly tune and sample up my entire gretsch kit (the one you can hear on these tracks) and tama snare with all the velocity layers and multi samples and (!) it will be avaliable for everyone FOR FREE. Later I will sample up another 3 cool drum kits that I was talking about in my previous post and a bunch of new snares. It will be afordable for everyone! I will keep you udated!