New Equipment..New Sound...Are we there yet?

theNeologist

Apr 3, 2009
So as the title states....I'm working with some new equipment and I'm trying to get my mix to where I like it while battling the learning curve. I'm not looking for a..."tell me how to make my mix awesome"....but it would be great to get some listens from you Sneapers and see how the mix holds up to some fresh ears and different sound systems.

I've done all the mixing on a pair of Rockit 6's which I love...but upon testing the mix in car speakers, a 5.1 surroudn sound computer setup..my ipod...and my ipod through a portable speaker....I find the fluctuations are ridiculous. Trying to get a mix to sound good on all systems is easily my biggest challenge. So yeah..would love some thoughts.

P.S. This is a test mix...don't mind my playing. Let's just pretend i was drunk

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3422116/MP3... Seperation/Subterranean Creatures Test 4.mp3

P.S. This is a test mix...don't mind my playing. Let's just pretend i was drunk

i see a big problem in this!
a tight played part, mixed absolutely the same
way as a not so good played will sound much better,
so better get everyting right before getting into mixing :)

the sample doesn't sound bad, guitars are way too loud thouh.

cheers
S.

Yeah I gotcha there. I'm very limited in time since I work 8-6PM daily and am away on the weekends....so dedicating a bunch of time to perfect the parts before I'm sold on the parts is non-ideal. I'd like to get a rough draft so to speak, then pour the time into nailing the parts. Afterall this is jsut pre-production for me anyways

Afterall...if you can get a decent rough draft....then the final product should be that much better. I'm also recording direct from my 11R, and not re-amping. Were I re-amping I also might spend the time nailing the parts cause then I can tweak the sounds to my liking after the fact.

But for now I was just hoping to get some general thoughts...so guitars too loud. Man that inner guitarist in me is hard to tame when throwing everything together. I'm not sure I'd be happy even with an all guitar mix haha