Creating session template for new album...need advice

theNeologist

Apr 3, 2009
As the title states, I'm getting ready to record our next album and was putting together a session template to use. I had been using the same template for awhile now and want this next album to get to the next level.

It's been weeks I've been tweaking it, and at this point need some third party feedback. Still not sure how I feel about the snare.

So check it out and let me know what stands out to you guys! The mix is sloppy in spots, but I'm just trying to get all the instruments in their own space and a session that will be easy to work from and sound good.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3422116/MP3s/Others/24-96 Sound Test 10 (Session 13).mp3

I think it sounds good. However, and I can't really pinpoint why, the snare just sounds a little out of place to me. Wish I could say why and actually be of some help, but I'm not sure.

yeah I hear yah man....I've been fighting with that snare non stop and can't get it to sit right. Appreciate the listen regardless!

The snare sounds weak. Don't worry about eq'ing a bit more than usual. It needs a bit more volume and treble.
Guitars sound boxy, if you use a different cab or mic that brings a bit more bite to the tone, you would have an easier tone balancing all the other instruments. Actually they're too loud, but probably ended up that loud cuz you couldn't hear them clearly.

Thanks Erik...I'll experiment with the guitars a bit...you may be on to something because for awhile there I was in a back and forth with the guitars. Too quiet..so I'd turn them up..too loud...so I turn them down. Never had them cutting through while still maintaining the fullness and body I wanted. I'll see what some different cab/mic setups do.

On an older mixdown I did for this session..I really had the snare loud and it cut through...but wasn't sitting in the mix right. Was just conquering the mix...hopefully getting the guitars right will take care of..or at least help the snare.

How do the cymbals sound? That was another part of the mix I did a lot of back and forth on.

I've been there, so I know about struggling with levels :D

The cymbals sound a bit on the thin side. If you can restore some mids from the hipass you'll get a fuller and snappier snare as well as some more body in the cymbals.
The vocals are a bit too mid-heavy (especially in the 1KHz region) but anyways most of the vocals are missing at this point, right?
First thing I'd do if I couldn't get a different cab/mic position, I'd eq out wide and deep in the 800hz-1200hz area to make some space for the vocals and the snare (even bass). Then cut a little 3khz and boost around 8K. Lowpass the whole thing at around 10khz for a more focused tone.
Everything else should settle better after the guitars are cleaned ;)

I put a pretty heavy hipass on the cymbals to give more room to everything else...but as you've pointed out I may have gone too far with it. I'll see if I can back that off a bit.

Right, most of the vocals are missing. I only wanted to capture the chorus where I would have a lot of harmonies and what not going on. I figured if i could get a chorus sounding good on the template...the rest of the vocals would be manageable. I do have to mess around with the screams still..but ideally I'll have the rest of the mix where I want it.

Anyways Ill definitely be giving your suggestions a shot. Once again...appreciate it.