New Evergrey Fan & Looking for Tuning Info...

TubeAmped

New Metal Member
Nov 24, 2002
Norfolk, VA
www.members.cox.net
Hey all!

Let me start off by confessing that I am a proud newbie to this message board and a guitar player of 10 yrs! I recently got into Evergrey after finally getting their latest CD - this thing rocks and I am reallly diggin' it! Very technical - just the way I like my prog rock! \m/ I am still waiting to get the In Search Of Truth CD in the mail, but am expecting to enjoy that one as much as this new one. I look forward to catching these guys on tour. It's truly amazing that all of the killer bands are out there - it is just a matter of discovering them. I have been into prog rock bands for years now - Dream Theater, Dali's Dilemma, Pain Of Salvation, and Symphony X (the list could go on) so it is a real treat to come across guys that are this technically proficient at their instruments. There is some really cool, syncopated stuff on this album and I am really diggin' it!

Now on to the second part of my post. I am kinda lazy when it comes to figuring out tunings other than standard E, but I was wondering if you all could clue me on (by song if possible) of what tunings are used on the latest two cd's? I would really appreciate it. I know that one or two of the band members frequent this board and I remember reading that there are four tunings used. Sounds to me like they use Standard E, Drop D, B, and maybe Drop C. But, as I said, I am kinda lazy at deciphering - and I am also very new to Evergrey's music. I may tab out some of this stuff once I get the tunings figured out. Any help - from anybody - will be greatly appreciated. I am also scouring the internet for tabs on these guys - so if anybody has any great links that would be cool too ;-)

Ok- I am done rambling for now. I am really stoked that I stumbled across these guys. They will provide hours of entertainment as I wear their CD out in my car! It's a shame that radio stations will not play this music - it is so much better than most of the crap that the DO play.

Later - and glad to be a member here!

Mike

I wish I could help. I just picked up a guitar for the first time about a week ago. :zombie:

But welcome to the board. Just thought I'd give this post some attention, some one truly proficient with guitars could help you out. :)

Hi, at this very moment I'm transcribing 'Solitude Within'. As far as I can hear it, that song isn't tuned differently. For the new album, I haven't quite heard it well enough yet.

Evelynne said:
Hi, at this very moment I'm transcribing 'Solitude Within'. As far as I can hear it, that song isn't tuned differently. For the new album, I haven't quite heard it well enough yet.

So if anyone need help with transcribing stuff, I can help, though, I'm not really a metal guitarplayer, I studied jazz 'n fusion for a couple of years, but I know how to transcribe songs.

Ok, as far as I can hear with my guitarish ears and knowledge, the first three albums are tuning standard on E and the Recreation Day (I'm judging it on basis of Recreatin Day song) is tuned on H or C I guess.

Well, let's see what Henrik's got to say.

Henrik, am I right or am I wrong?

I was only listening to the songs and not finding them out on the guitar.

Hey Tom here

tuning answers--

We use 4 different tunings on the RD album and it goes as follows.

one straight E 440
one straight E with a dropped E yo D
one a whole step down to D
and one really strange which is used on the RD song for the live situation
its tuned
G C C F A# D
but on hte album its a 7string guitar normal tuning H

all the best
Tom

How did you manage to tune down on G? It's a very low octave and with bad pickups and amp it sounds terrible.

Interesting.

Oh, a 7-string? I didn't know you use that kind of "modern" stuff. I still think that 7-string guitars are bullshit.

Ok, we can discuss about that somewhere else.

Have fun, Tom!

Hello all lazy people. There is a short cut for all of you called guitar-pro 4.0. with ENDLESS tabs to be found at mysongbook.com You can down load a taster at the official site and them off you go!!! Stack up on the coffee, break up with the missis and away to tabland! LOL ;)

Needled24Seven said:
with your guitarish ears knowledge you think you would know that H isnt in the music alphabet. sorry.
And I think you would know if any knowledge that the H is the same as B here in Europe .
the tunings are standard E 440hz but with some Drop D songs on Each album
for the RD album we have one tuned BCCGHE and one dropped one whole step to D and one really strangely tuned in a chord (this is for Madness caught another victim) which I think is C-Minor add9

' t

Nosferatu6 said:
And I think you would know if any knowledge that the H is the same as B here in Europe .

Could someone clarify this? I'm in the US, and didn't know of any "H" in the musical alphabet, however, unlike others on the board, I'm perfectly willing to concede that a professional musician knows a HELL of a lot more than me. What's the deal with "H?"

- R

slaesh said:
is it the great deciever who´s tuned to B C C G H E ?
Kinda funny but I swear I am playing Great Deciever tuned to drop C, then again I havent tuned my guitar in a long time haha. I think Tom knows better though!

BTW that main riff to the Great Deciever gave me a run for my money, rock on guys!