New Gamma Ray-"To The Metal"

Savage Pumpkin

AKA Mr. Future World
Sep 6, 2008
Skokie, IL
Wow, this album is kicking my ass all over the place! Very solid IMO. Limited edition comes with a great DVD with a documentary and interview. Anyone else get it? If so what are your thoughts?

No that one has not been released yet as far as my research goes. That one is the collectors edition that goes for about $40

edit: It is available through Amazon.com

I was not loving it at first, but on subsequent listen I am growing to love it!!!!

I will have to wait for it to come in the mail. I'm thinking Monday at the latest. I was crazy enough to order the deluxe and the cd/dvd versions.

The only songs I've heard are the single and the one with Kiske. Don't care about the single, but the one with Kiske. And that's the heaviest thing Kiske has done in years. Very Helloweenish. That track would be worth the album price alone.

Of course, in the Itunes age, I can just download that one.:)

I am still on the fence with this album. How does it compare to their first 5 or 6 releases? MY GR faves are:
1.Somewhere Out In Space
2.Power Plant
3.HFT

I am still on the fence with this album. How does it compare to their first 5 or 6 releases? MY GR faves are:
1.Somewhere Out In Space
2.Power Plant
3.HFT

Well I'll be as honest with answers to your points. I'll start with the easiest. This album is far from "Heading For Tomorrow". I think GR has moved away from the "poppy melodic" formula of that album. Its akin to wondering why Helloween doesn't do a real Keepers 3 (which BTW is what I think "HFT" is). I love "HFT", always have, always will.

I think its a natural progression from SOIS and PP. Its more traditional in sound and playing. Not overproduced. It also has a nice Preist/ Accept vibe to it. Hope it helps.

Well I'll be as honest with answers to your points. I'll start with the easiest. This album is far from "Heading For Tomorrow". I think GR has moved away from the "poppy melodic" formula of that album. Its akin to wondering why Helloween doesn't do a real Keepers 3 (which BTW is what I think "HFT" is). I love "HFT", always have, always will.

I think its a natural progression from SOIS and PP. Its more traditional in sound and playing. Not overproduced. It also has a nice Preist/ Accept vibe to it. Hope it helps.
Thanks. That's what I really needed to know. Good inside info from a diehard fan such as yourself! Much appreciated!:headbang:

I've only listened to it once but I like it. Now, is it on par with Land of the Free 2? HELL NO!!! I thought that was one of their best offerings period and it had a real good flow. This album has no flow. It's just songs if that makes any sense. Having said that, this is probably the most diverse Gamma Ray album. There's classic Gamma Ray sounding stuff, there's heavy stuff, a Priest ripoff (lol) and a really good ballad at the end.

From www.melodicrock.com :

"TheRighttoRock.com has issued their latest Podcast (episode #106), featuring Gamma Ray Vocalist/Guitarist Kai Hansen. Kai took time out of his busy schedule to discuss Gamma Ray's current release To the Metal, as well their current tour. Kai gives us the low down on several of the tracks on the CD and more. Interview lasts approx. 25 min.
While to the average person, metal is just loud guitars and screaming, to the aficionado, it's much more complex. Initially categorized as traditional, hair and thrash, now there are so many genres it's hard to keep track. Join Genghis and Ragman, as they dig deep into this music to see what they can unearth. You'll be amazed with what they come up with. Next the boys have lined up Gamma Ray main man, Kai Hansen, who discusses his band's latest effort, To the Metal, as well as his relationship with former Helloween vocalist, Michael Kiske."