New Gear: Sound Test

TheWinterSnow

Den Mørke Natt
Oct 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
So i decided to test run my new DI box as well as some new impulses. I recorded a sample of a new song that i am about to fully record to get an idea of what to expect.

opinions on the guitar tone are much appreciated. I am not asking for the entire mix opinions, i just threw quick drum and bass tracks to hear the guitars.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7105215

LTD F-50 > Boss SD-1 > Livewire DI > Revalver (6505 with KT88's, with the V1 plate resistor upped to 300 ohms) > Engl v30 Impulse

no eq, completely raw, and completely sloppy playing lol

opinions on the guitar tone are much appreciated. I am not asking for the entire mix opinions, i just threw quick drum and bass tracks to hear the guitars.
The guitar sounds great :headbang: suits the song genre,
(so if you can tell us a little bit more details about the sound.. that'll be great, so I won't have to look for the best tone with my ux1 :cry: )
and you "threw the drums" very nice :)- what drums did you use?

nevermind the sound.... the song is great !!!

sound's really good! Did you use VoxBoogex or Revalver to load Impulse Files?

i use SIR for impulses SIRII for live recording and SIRI for playback. Though with my heavy VST use i should try uploading them into revalaver so i can utilize more guitar tracks

The guitar sounds great :headbang: suits the song genre,
(so if you can tell us a little bit more details about the sound.. that'll be great, so I won't have to look for the best tone with my ux1 :cry: )
and you "threw the drums" very nice :)- what drums did you use?

nevermind the sound.... the song is great !!!

how so do you mean details? i can upload a single guitar track so that you can really hear what is going on. in that clip there was no EQ or post processing, just the rig i mentioned before, my normal eq dialing on the amp and a LP of 12db at 300Hz.

Sounds good dude, but a little dark for my taste atleast...

how so, dark? I am really beginning to hate that word because everyone has their own definition of the term and it can get confusing.

:loco: my bad, I guess I didn't see your post with the setup :lol:
to sum up. and not write novels like the previous post...
You will get a great final sound with this tone.

:loco: my bad, I guess I didn't see your post with the setup :lol:
to sum up. and not write novels like the previous post...
You will get a great final sound with this tone.

well that is going to be my template, obviously there isn't any post eq in this clip but in a full song i will bus all the guitars together and play with an eq of the guitars with all the other instruments playing. I will usually high shelf the highs maybe 3db at 1.5K and maybe play around with low shelf up to 250 and maybe add some low mids 350-600 boost if i need more meat. But still my over all eq is simple, nothing drastic.

I won' t add an anything else in my guitars expect some overall reverb in my master bus (all my track, guitars drums etc.)

i don't compress anything, and i like to keep it that way.

this is a new sound for me compared to my previous so I will have to start over fresh. but that is just an idea.

I like to keep things as raw as possible, if it doesn't sound right before the recording fix it until it does.

oh and i'll be glad to give out my 6505 setting on revlaver

Gain: 8 with an non-normalized input, usually 4 or 5 when normalized (High gain engaged)
Bass: 5
Mids: 4
Highs: 3
Post Gain: 8-10 (depends on the warmth I want)
Resonance: 10 (5 with new impulse)
Presence: 2 (5 with new impulse)

other than that it is just Poid's Engl v30 impulse loaded in SIR

"how so do you mean details? i can upload a single guitar track so that you can really hear what is going on. in that clip there was no EQ or post processing, just the rig i mentioned before, my normal eq dialing on the amp and a LP of 12db at 300Hz."

please, could you upload single track to see how it sounds individually?:D

and...what do you refer with this: "Gain: 8 with an non-normalized input"?

incredible sound.:D
thanks

"how so do you mean details? i can upload a single guitar track so that you can really hear what is going on. in that clip there was no EQ or post processing, just the rig i mentioned before, my normal eq dialing on the amp and a LP of 12db at 300Hz."

please, could you upload single track to see how it sounds individually?:D

and...what do you refer with this: "Gain: 8 with an non-normalized input"?

incredible sound.:D
thanks

normalized input means the volume has been increased to the bandwidth's maximum. and non-normalized is just straight volume in from the DI and the signal is extremely low in volume.

Sounds great! I'm beginning to believe that ReValver might sound better than a real tube amp. Or it takes serious know how to make a tube amp sound as good or better than ReValver.

Sounds great! I'm beginning to believe that ReValver might sound better than a real tube amp. Or it takes serious know how to make a tube amp sound as good or better than ReValver.

The big trick with the real thing, is mic placement and cabinet choice. Sims like revalver or toneport give you that quick resort to change out and virtually compare different combinations . Mic placement is huge on a good sound and thanks to impulses i don't have to worry about it.

but really with a good cab, good mic placement with a 57 and a good mic pre real t00bs should sound much better, but will be more time consuming to find that tone and combination.

Dude, when I said dark, I mean it could do with a bit more presence/treble to make it sound a bit more present in the mix.

LTD F-50 > Boss SD-1 > Livewire DI > Revalver (6505 with KT88's, with the V1 plate resistor upped to 300 ohms) > Engl v30 Impulse

<- nobody reads the part about EQ:loco:

man I like your music ! :headbang:

Dude can you post the revalver presets please?
oh and what pickups did you use?

Dude can you post the revalver presets please?
oh and what pickups did you use?

Gear and presets (in order)

Greener:
Gain 0
Tone: 10 (dimed)
*everything else in default

Noise Gate:
Set to default

6505:
Gain: 8 with an non-normalized input, usually 4 or 5 when normalized (High gain engaged)
Bass: 5
Mids: 4
Highs: 3
Post Gain: 8-10 (depends on the warmth I want)
Resonance: 10 (5 with new impulse)
Presence: 2 (5 with new impulse)

6505 Mods:
KT88 tubes
Class A amplifier
V1 Plate resistor set to 300k ohms
V1 Coupling Capacitor set to rolloff at 150Hz

Cab Sim:
Engl v30
*Default settings

pups are the crappy stock ones that come with the LTD 50 series. In other words, a $10 pup.