New Guitar

forestofmyths

Jan 11, 2005
Im getting an Ibanez RG7321 Black 7 string. I am not going to overuse the B string so Im getting it for the reason a seven string was made. Anyways, what are good pickups for death metal (Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Opeth, Nile, etc.) that I could in this guitar?

Mikael and Peter use Seymour Duncan JB/JAZZ (bridge/neck respectively) and you're lucky seymour duncan made 7string version of these pickups! I use a JB on my guitar's bridge as well (and so does one of the Amotts from Arch Enemy)

If you're going to ask a luthier to insert the pickups on your guitar, or if you know how to do this in case it is you, I recommend you to choose the "push pull" method, for the extra brightness, as opeth use on their PRS.

I wish I could get my hands on a 7s, but I am currently working to build a studio and will lett that option for a later time! Good luck.

Thanx man. I keep hearing about seymour duncans. Maybe Ill try them. What could it hurt. Do you know anything about those zak wylde pickups I keep hearing about them as well.

Emg makes seven string pickups, but unfortunately they don't fit in Ibanez guitars. You will have to have someone route the pickup cavities wider to seat the pickups into the body. Kind of sucks, not sure why they made them that way.

I used 81 and a 85 (zack wylde set) previously, it was nice for my low-gain amp, it's got that je ne c'est quoi of the swedish death sound, but it's not anything opeth...it's good, but not amazing, not a lot of definition and dynamics. I'd say go for Duncans, but try them on a store and check which one works best to you. For as much as I can tell you duncans are better, there's no better way than trying them yourself. What doesn't work for me, can do great wonders for you!

Good luck!

evolution 7 for the bridge.

very hot and smooth sound. if i were keeping my 7 string (jackson kelly) thats what i was gonna put in it
~gR~

if you ask me you should try the emg 81/7 as well i heard nothing but great this about that pickup and by the way james hetfield uses them as well only the 6 string version