New hardcore/metal mix needs help!

Apr 16, 2012
London
hey guys, here's another (instrumental) mix i've done, this one will hopefully be on my band's ep that we're recording in june.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10766993/mastered novox mp3.mp3

i need some help with processing my toms and bass on this one, those two aspects are my only downfall when it comes to producing and such.

drums are all blended/replaced with slate samples except for the cymbals, guitars are DI in Guitar Rig, and bass is also DI into a TSE BOD pedal emulator in cubase.

also, this is all mixed on headphones as i unfortunately don't have my monitors at the moment :(

any help/criticism/comments you guys can give me would be great

you have a huge hole between guitars and bass (bassdrum)
lack of low mids and low end in guitars....too many high mids over 2 khz
they sounds extremly thin and harsh ...
bass guitar is boomy and not fit in the mix ... - need compressing and equalize.
main problem - guitars , second - bass and drums...

you have a huge hole between guitars and bass (bassdrum)
lack of low mids and low end in guitars....too many high mids over 2 khz
they sounds extremly thin and harsh ...
bass guitar is boomy and not fit in the mix ... - need compressing and equalize.
main problem - guitars , second - bass and drums...

so how would you suggest i process my bass?
maybe if you could be a bit more specific?

tydesmattproductions - try multiband compression between 80 - 160 hz ...
add some thick distortion (waves cla bass is good for this )
and try to solve frequency problems with guitars ...they are really weakest point of mix ..
include sloppy playing)

tydesmattproductions - try multiband compression between 80 - 160 hz ...
add some thick distortion (waves cla bass is good for this )
and try to solve frequency problems with guitars ...they are really weakest point of mix ..
include sloppy playing)

thanks man! i normally take quite a lot of the low end out of my guitars, thats probably where im going wrong, plus the pups in my guitar are horrible and soon to be replaced, thats probably had affected it too

You can adjust sound of bass by duplicating track so use first for low end and duplicate for mid range/string attack and blend this two,guitar sound .... my advice try some free amp sims and impulses,usually do much better job or combine head sim from guitar rig and impulse.And chose every sound to fit mix.