New Haven Show!

The Yngster

Jun 7, 2002
New York, USA
Visit site
Unbelievable... So much better than when I saw them in March, and thats really saying something. The sound was almost perfect, they hit every note on every song, and they had great stage presence as usual. The setlist was similar to the rest of the tour, I think it went something like:

Inferno
Wicked
Evolution
Communion and the Oracle
King of Terrors
Accolade II
Smoke and Mirrors
Sea of Lies
Of Sins and Shadows
The Odyssey

It may not be exactly in that order but those are the songs they played. Really the big difference between this show and the last was the sound, even though I was right in front of the stage it was great. They raised the volume on the solos right on time, every time, and you could hear Pinella fine (which was a problem last time). Great, great show, I can't wait for the L'Amour show in December. Oh yeah, Devin was good too, not to mention he's really funny

It was my first time seeing SX live - and it was hands down greatest concert ever.

Devin didnt impress me , something about heavy riffs and him SCREAMING RECYYYYYYYYYYYYYYCLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEE RECYYCCCCCCCCCCCCLLLLLLLLEE [Repeat]
didn't cut it for me, and I didnt care for his between song rants. I dont care to know you drove from Canada in an RV - 1,2,3, FOUR times in one show.

Yngster and I got to catch part of the soundcheck - met all the guys except Russ - who was sleeping on the bus. I got my Odyssey / LoTEoF booklets signed, except for Rullo, who went to the hotel 5 mins after we got there, and didnt return for a while. The show itself was jaw dropping.Listening to Romeo do his sweeps and solo on the studio albums was incredible, but witnessing him do the intro to Smoke and Mirrors while laughing with russ , like he wasnt tryingwas something special. Only thing bad I can say was their set list wasn't long enough. =)

Hoping to make it to L'Amours in December - w00t!

I was there to. I did not care for Devon at all, symx were amazing!!! My third time seeing them and the best so far. Hopefully i'll be able to make the MA show in Dec. I don't understand why more girls don't like prog. I was one of the five girls there.

Yes, I definitely noticed the lack of girls at the show. There were like 3 girls just to the left of me, right in front of Russ. Were any of those you? All I remember was one had black hair with a blind gaurdian shirt

Hi, new to this board. My bro and I were at the Toads show....we are long time DT fans and my oldest son turned us on to SX this year and since we have have bought all of their albums and listen to them constantly. We were fortunate to be around for the Toads show...all I can say is WOW! We were right in front of Michael Romeo and he blew us away! That says alot because between me and my bro we have seen many an axeman in our day. Myself , I am coming off the G3 Tuesday show at the Beacon...which also featured John Petrucci and Neil Schon. In my estimation MR could have been on that stage and dropped as many jaws his fellow axeman did. I usually use a live performance before I pass judgement on a guitarist...I really did not expect to this blown away. What impressed me the most was how effortlessly he played. Not just his soloing but the chord inteval and riffs in between. It was the same for me before I saw DT the first time, now I have 8 DT shows under my belt , but I can't wait for the next time to see SX. Last word on Romeo....easily one of the top 5 guitarists I have ever seen!! That list includes JP, Nuno, Yngwie, Holdsworth, Satch, Vai, Morse, Metheny, Stern...

I was also extremely impressed with Russ Allen...a great stage voice...and actually he has two voices...one that is rich and soulfull and then one that is more of a DIO type voice with a ton of power. Very good stage presence, related to the crowd and a good personality. I also enjoyed the other members of the band..they were very profcient, played with alot of feel , had really good tone and sound...what a breath of fresh air this band is!!!

Devon Townsend...neither one of us liked....I listened to him a little a day before the show...as for his performance....i did not care for all the screaming..who is his lyricist? Uneventfull...could not wait for him to get in that RV. I am sure he has his fans...thats why music is all about taste....just would have liked to see more SX and less DTB. ,,,Another note I have never seen in all my years of shows a backup band take down there own stage?

Sorry for the long post...may try to catch the Providence show...we need to drum up exposure for these great musicians...in this day in age of MTV JAMS and Lincoln Parks type bands....we need all the DT's and Symphony X's we acn get!!!

Peace Out

LTDTFAN

I was at the show too. I interviewed Symphony X for the webzine I work for, and it was great to hang out with the bands inside the tourbus. Plus, the show was awesome, both bands did really good. If anyone saw me, I was the guy taking pictures onstage, to the side... =) Can't wait to see them at L'amour in december!!

Thanks for the Welcome Lady!

Angrarules...I did see you as we were right in front of MR....I was to the right of the fence. I kinda felt bad for the underage crowd. That's the trouble with place like Toads were the gate and the drinks figure into the equation. Once SX gets a bigger draw in the states then places like the Oakdale will be a better fit. Much the same occurred for DT. During the FII tour in 97 I saw them at Toads twice and the Roxy in Boston. Now they have no problem filling the Oakdale, which is my favoraite place to see a show. I hope fever catches on for SX because the idustry is in need of well thought out progressive material with feel and thats what SX delivers...In the back of my mind I have to think that Mike Portnoy will get on the horn one day and orchestrate a DT/SX tour!! ..Would'nt that be a treat!

Peace Out
LTDTFAN

The Yngster said:
I almost flipped out when I first saw that fence, your couldn't see a damn thing from over there. Luckily as long as you had someone over 21 with you they let you into the main area.
CRAP I was with my dad and I didn't get to go over there!

Really? I asked two guys who were checking ID and both said it was ok for you to go over as long as you had a parent. There was one black guy with dreads that didn't care, he was letting one guy bring like 6 kids in

That fence thing was bullshit, if you pay for the entire show don't you deserve to see the whole show? My boyfriends brother got stuck on that side of the fence cause the bald headed dude was being an ass. Oh well, thats what you get with some of these venues.. blech, left a lousy taste in my mouth.
-manda

I was there. Sound was much better than Farmingdale. The drumming and Romeo riffage were especially spectacular, especially on "Wicked" and "Evolution"(the latter probably being my highlight). And I'm sure I don't have to mention the brilliant "Odyssey" which absolutely slayed(again).

Yeah the fence was annoying, although it made an okay elbowrest.
What I hated was that 21 stamp that they branded you with that said "COP" on it. I couldn't wait to wash it off. Ewww.

And to all of those who think their beer prices suck(which they do mightily), there's a good diner next door called the Yorkville or something like that and they have pitchers of Amber Boch for $7.75. I should have stayed for a second one during the redundantly annoying Devin Townsend show.

And for the record, I don't recycle.

I saw DT at Toad's a few years ago. Had an underage friend with us, so we stayed with her on the other side of the fence. That IS a bit of a gyp. At Jaxx, everyone has equal access to the floor; the drinkers just have to stay in back with their liquor.