New heavy mixtest (BKP/Axe-FX/Trilian/Lots of different S2.0 kits/enough brackets?)

Nolly

Apr 24, 2009
Bath, UK
Hey dudes,

I've got some big recording projects coming up so I've been working on some new mix templates. This is one I've been tweaking a lot today and I think I've got it to a point I'm happy with:

http://soundcloud.com/nolly/the-heavies

The guitar is a Mayones Regius 7-string with a BKP Cold Sweat in the bridge, through a new Axe-FX patch I've made centred around the New Recto amp model.
The drums are a mongrel set of Superior 2.0 expansion - Metal Foundry cymbals and hats, Evil Drums kick and Avatar snare and toms.
Bass is Trilian.

Anyone got some critique?

Sounds really good and well-balanced, though a bit narrow (and less ear-catching/interesting overall IMHO) compared to your Rico 727 clip for example.

Cheers for the quick response dude! Can you put your finger on what exactly might be causing that, or is it just the general vibe?

This is probably more riff-related than anything else to be honest, but the guitars seem to have a tiny bit of mud and/or might be just a bit too loud. Then again, my setup is nowhere near ideal and I'd love to hear something a bit more diverse to be able to judge it better.

By the way, I dig the way the cymbals/room sound, they aren't thin at all.

Gotcha, I know it's not necessarily the best riff to be able to judge all the facets of the mix on so apologies for that. I'll see how it all works when I get the actual music side of things in place :)
Oh and yes, I've always liked that about the Metal Foundry cymbals - they've got so much more body than the standard Avatar OHs, and also react to velocity humanisation very well too.

The MF cymbals are indeed amazing. MF cymbals and kick + Avatar snare and toms = programmed drums heaven IMO. The Evil Drums kit seems pretty good but I've gotten great results recently with the MF kick blended with other samples.
The Avatar OHs eventually became unbearable for me because of the main crash (at the right IIRC), none sounded the way I liked and it drove me insane. :lol:

Cool, we're in absolute agreement! I really dig the Evil kicks though, I must say. There's at least 4 I'd happily use, and another handful that I'm sure could be very serviceable with a bit of effort and/or partial sample blending.